Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in Gainesville at Trials and VERY confused. In these days where so many are being fired, resigning and worse for sexual misconduct or even misrepresentation in a sexual manner why is this not the case with one of our own? We all have been informed of Mel Nicholas suspension for alleged misconduct, but here he is at Trials coaching. Am I wrong that our sport is now ok with a man who is suspended for a 6 month time period to be on the floor coaching? What message is this giving the victims? What message is this giving our sport? He was tried and convicted, but authorities do nothing?

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
You pick this subject as your first post?!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have spoken to them and the response was, well he is here, what do you want us to do? I want our organization to take a suspension seriously. This is not something to take in stride, he used his adult coaching “power” to harassment of females. Is this how archery should be? I am very tempted if I see him tomorrow to call local media and see how a suspended coach for sexual harassment portrays himself as he is surrounded by young archers. Do parents know that he is suspended and allowed to be here?

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have spoken to them and the response was, well he is here, what do you want us to do? I want our organization to take a suspension seriously. This is not something to take in stride, he used his adult coaching “power” to harassment of females. Is this how archery should be? I am very tempted if I see him tomorrow to call local media and see how a suspended coach for sexual harassment portrays himself as he is surrounded by young archers. Do parents know that he is suspended and allowed to be here?
Was he convicted of it? Or were allegations levied against him? USA archery can only suspend him from competing or coaching under usa archery. He runs his own JOAD that, for all intents and purposes, could tell USA archery to piss right off. He'd no longer be a national/international coach sure, but he'd be able to do his own thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
innocent until proven guilty ...

The 6th Amendment in the American Constitution guarantees an individual the right to a fair, speedy, and public trial. ... These rights are given to all men or women under trial for any sort of wrongdoing. They establish the “innocent until proven guilty” mantra that is present in the United States legal system.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts

The 6th Amendment in the American Constitution guarantees an individual the right to a fair, speedy, and public trial. ... These rights are given to all men or women under trial for any sort of wrongdoing. They establish the “innocent until proven guilty” mantra that is present in the United States legal system.
Where there’s smoke there’s fire! Tell Matt Lauer and Al Frankin and the rest about the 6th amendment

·
Registered
15,104 Posts
I am in Gainesville at Trials and VERY confused. In these days where so many are being fired, resigning and worse for sexual misconduct or even misrepresentation in a sexual manner why is this not the case with one of our own? We all have been informed of Mel Nicholas suspension for alleged misconduct, but here he is at Trials coaching. Am I wrong that our sport is now ok with a man who is suspended for a 6 month time period to be on the floor coaching? What message is this giving the victims? What message is this giving our sport? He was tried and convicted, but authorities do nothing?
What's the source, and is it true?
I fit's true, I'd be informing some parents, with source in hand.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
I don't know the rules or the conditions associated with the suspension, but I would not automatically expect USAA suspension means he cannot coach...period, only that he's not currently endorsed as a USAA qualified/certified coach.
Surely USAA is aware. If he's acting in violation of his suspension, I'm sure they will address it, but as per above, I'm not sure he is, or should be universally banned from "archery" during the suspension.

·
Registered
8,280 Posts

Coach in question is listed as being suspended as of Sept 2017 for six months according to USA Archery website.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts

"Innocent until proven guilty" only applies to activities alleged to be in violation of the US criminal code. NFL, NHL, MLB, USGA, USAA, Internet forum, or any other type of business or organization can establish their own rules and penalties for conduct that may be more, or less, restrictive than US law.

If USAA decides that persons using the word "Puppy" shall be suspended from the organization, they could probably do so, just as they could enforce a rule requiring every competitor to wear a pink tie.

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
What does a USAA suspension mean? What is Mel prevented from doing? What is he not prevented from doing. Is he suspended from all archery activities? Or is he just suspended from the National Teams?

Until you know these details, you should be careful with your comments & questions. He may be within the terms of the suspension to coach at Gainsville.

Allen

1 - 16 of 16 Posts