Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a dozen Black Max 340's. I fletched 3 arrows so far to try them out. I fletched one with a wrap and vanes on it and the other two I fletched without a wrap and vanes onto the shaft. My question is, is it possible for that wrapped arrow to fly totally different than the two unwrapped arrows? I was out back trying them and it seemed that the unwrapped ones fly better than the wrapped arrow did. I'm relatively new at this and wanted to see if there is something I may be doing wrong here. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Do they fly "better" or just have different points of impact? The wraps do add arrow weight to the tail end of the arrow, granted not much but there is still some weight added. If you're getting "bad" arrows flight from the arrow with the wrap I try putting a heavier point on that arrow to move your FOC back up and shoot it again.

To compensate for the increase in weight from wraps, I went to Blazer vanes...and was still able to reduce my head weights from 125 to 100 gr and maintain good FOC.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The two unwrapped arrows do fly better and hit dead on when I aim for the lungs. The wrapped arrow on the other hand is hitting high everytime.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Hitting high? Wow I would have guessed the opposite...

I'm curious as to how the actual total arrow weights of these match up....

I've taken arrows from groupings before and could plainly identify those that shot high or low based on the fact that they were deviating from the rest by 10-15 grains...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm using 100 grain field tips, should I go ahead and throw a 125 on the wrapped arrow and see what happens? I wonder if that will fix it. I'm very happy with the two unwrapped arrows so I may just go ahead and fletch the rest like that. I just wanted to try something new.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts