Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question. I have a half dozen of Beman ICS bowhunters with 125 grain field points. They were what lancaster provided when I called and ordered the arrows. These are the first arrows I ever received and shoot them out of an Omega Original. I shoot these into a third hand homemade archery target. The field points are so slightly wider than the shafts which makes pulling from the target a pain as they always get hung up right at the end. Is this the case with all the Beman ICS line and field points?

Thank you!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Beman ICS vary in outer diameter depending upon the spine. All fall short of the typical 5/16" field point diameter.

Simple solution is to chuck the point up in a drill and spin it while beveling the back edge lightly with a file. Test fit periodically. You know you're done when the transition from point to arrow is smooth. It will pull free of bag targets much easier that way.

Cheers,
Elton

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I shoot basically the same setup as you. Omega longbow and a thirdhandarchery rag bag target. I know what you mean about the field point lip. May not look like much, but was enough to tear apart my rag bag when I pulled arrows out.

Best bet is to find field points with tapered ends. Or like mentioned above, grind them yourself. Here's a picture of some cheap Wal-Mart 125g fieldtips (Allen bullets) on a 500 spine Beman ics shaft (left)and the same field point on a gamegetter 500 (right). They sit absolutely flush on my Gamegetters. Slight lip on my Bemans.

Here is another picture of a 125gr tip with a tapered end that I was talking about. Sorry, I don't remember the names. But pretty sure I got them from Lancaster Archery. Good luck 20180326_164348.jpg 20180326_164618.jpg

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're using 5/16 and they're bigger than the shaft?

Try 9/32 then, thats the size that fits
I lied, I have 9/32nd points and they're a little too big.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So here is maybe a stupid question, will any 9/32nd field point fit into the beman ics bowhunter insert? Is the screw in part standard across most inserts? The 9/32nds I have right now are saunders points.

·
Registered
516 Posts
So here is maybe a stupid question, will any 9/32nd field point fit into the beman ics bowhunter insert? Is the screw in part standard across most inserts? The 9/32nds I have right now are saunders points.
Yes, the thread pattern is the same. But you're not going to fare all that much better.

9/32" point is .28125 in diameter.
5/16" point is .3125" in diameter.

Even with the variances in spine for Beman ICS hunter shafts, they all fall in between those two point diameter sizes.

Based on some older published values I found:
500 - .284"
400 - .294"
340 - .298"
300 - .300"

If you use 9/32" points, the arrow will tear up the target on the way into the bag. If you use 5/16" points, the arrow will hang up and tear up the bag when being pulled out.

Best course is to bevel the back edge of 5/16" points, then the problem goes away permanently. It also costs nothing but time, assuming you have a drill and a file or grinding/sharpening stone.

Cheers,
Elton

·
Lowered expectations
15,637 Posts
"Standard" carbon arrows, that is, those with the .244 to .246 inside diameter component fit, including the Beman ICS 500s, range in outer diameter depending on the manufacturer, the spine, and any extra coating (wood grain, camo, etc).

I have shafts in that class that range in OD from .283" to .301". I don't have any Beman 500s, but I have some other .500s that are .286" OD.

9/32" is .281", and these will be a bit small for "standard" shafts.
5/16" is .312", and these will be a bit big.
I have seen 19/64" field points, seen them on Amazon branded Carbon Express. Hard to find in shops, though. These are .297 and would be ideal.

Most manufacturers make their inserts so the lip has approximately the same OD as their shafts. Carbon Express makes them in a few different lip sizes. Gold Tip makes their inserts so they flare out a bit to 5/16".

So, for the Beman 500s, you have a number of options:
1-Keep the 5/16" points and taper the back ends as has been suggested by Elmosaurus.
2-Get the easy-pull points that have the taper built in as in the second picture by Stub
3-Switch to Gold Tip inserts (might be a tight fit in your Bemans, though) (I use these on all my carbons of this class)
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/gold-tip-accu-lite-threaded-insert-500-700.html
4-Switch to 9/32 points, but taper the front edge of the insert lip. If you use 9/32 points without tapering the lip, you'll catch the target bag as they enter, and also eventually damage the edges of the insert lip. Not a huge deal, though.

Edit - Geez, Elmosaurus, you have nothing else to do on a Tuesday morning either? :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It looks like that is what I am going to have to do. Time is something to be desired, but I can make happen. I have a drill, but no file, nothing I can't pick up on the way home from work. Any specific file works better for field points?

·
Lowered expectations
15,637 Posts
Field points are soft metal. Any cheap fine file from a hardware store will do. I don't think AT will allow me to text "*******" file, but that's what they're called. Bstrd - add some As.

Oh, and yes, 8-32 is standard for screw-in field points for all manufacturers and sizes except the very skinny arrows which use 6-32.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok so now that I am thinking about it while the classroom is empty, I don't think it is the field point catching, I think it is actually the Beman insert that is bigger than the shaft diameter and that is what is catching, the field point is flush with that insert and that's what is too big. Can I file down the insert without damaging the carbon arrow? I had the arrows made and am fairly certain those are glued in permanently.

·
Lowered expectations
15,637 Posts
The only way you could do it without removing the insert and not risk messing up the carbon is to screw in an 8-32 bolt, grab the bolt with a drill chuck, and file down the insert by spinning the whole arrow, and then file down the field point as before.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts