Archery Talk Forum banner

ben pearson spoiler compound bow help

1097 20
1990 + year , wanting to set it back up to shoot . String pulled apart from setting so long . looked and could not see a
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle Leg
Shoe Leg Road surface Asphalt Bicycle tire
Wheel Bicycle tire Crankset Automotive tire Tire
Shoe Photograph Leg Light Road surface

crack in the limbs . Its a #70 and I'll need it as low as I can get it , How do I do that ?
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Back Yard Champion
35,301 Posts
The only thing I have on the Spoiler is a 2008 Product Guide. Don't know how much they changed of over the years, so anything I have on the bow would be doubtful correct. You want I'll dig out.
Strings are problem. Any good string maker would have string measurements.

Cracked limb, I wouldn't try anything with it.

You got in just as I was about type it.

·
Shootingairborne
10,946 Posts
Oh man that sucks. I had one of those rebuilt in 1999 directly from their factory if I remember correctly. I had one of the steel cables come loose.

Probably not many shops would want to work on it. For their liability reasons.

Good luck

·
The Impartial Archer
24,336 Posts
I'd get a new bow..........you'll have way more in that than it's worth Heck PM me I'll sell you my old Commander it's a much better bow ready to shoot for less than you'll have into that when you're done.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Great shooting bow back in the day. About 55-60% letoff with more or less round wheels/cams made for a smooth draw force curve.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Commander
Same situation as this thread:
Get yourself a new string. If the length is not marked on the bow, just measure the broken one as best you can.

For the lowest draw weight, put the string on the short peg and you should be able to safely drop it to about 55#.
Do you have any idea how many turns out I can go to get that and still be good to go ?

·
Lowered expectations
19,922 Posts
Most bows from that time had a 10# weight range. Once you get the new string on, max out the limbs and put the bow on a scale. Then undo the limbs maybe 2 full turns and remeasure, and repeat to get it 10# lighter. Any more than that, you’re risking the bolts pulling out of the riser.

Also, most bows like that lose about 5# when you put the strung on the short draw peg, and gain about 5# on the long peg. My 55# was just a guess based on your saying it’s a 70# bow.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Most bows from that time had a 10# weight range. Once you get the new string on, max out the limbs and put the bow on a scale. Then undo the limbs maybe 2 full turns and remeasure, and repeat to get it 10# lighter. Any more than that, you’re risking the bolts pulling out of the riser.

Also, most bows like that lose about 5# when you put the strung on the short draw peg, and gain about 5# on the long peg. My 55# was just a guess based on your saying it’s a 70# bow.
You know the old spoiler ( new ) max out more than it should , Don't have a scale that what I was hoping you knew the number of turns . Thank you .

·
Back Yard Champion
35,301 Posts
You know the old spoiler ( new ) max out more than it should , Don't have a scale that what I was hoping you knew the number of turns . Thank you .
Make it a Wall Hanger. Please. I don't want to see you get hurt. Backing off the limbs won't stop the limbs from blowing and it's bound to happen beings you told of being cracked already. I had limb blow with I thought good limbs. String caught side of my face - gave a pretty good burn.
Bicycle tire Bicycle handlebar Wood Bicycle fork Automotive tire

·
Registered
54,751 Posts
1990 + year , wanting to set it back up to shoot . String pulled apart from setting so long . looked and could not see a View attachment 7709021 View attachment 7709022 View attachment 7709023 View attachment 7709024
crack in the limbs . Its a #70 and I'll need it as low as I can get it , How do I do that ?
If the limb is cracked don't even bother attempting to restring it. Unless you can find a needle in the hay stack limb. Lowering the poundge is not going to make it shootable.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Limbs are not cracked that I can tell , said "could not see a crack in limb ". I bought this new back in the day and put it up I'm
think around 2013 ( in shed ) replacement bow is to much for me and the crossbow has a cracked limb , so dug it back out thinking with the smaller round cam it might be good for me ?

·
Registered
307 Posts
It might be worth taking a look in the 10+ year old classified section. Quick look shows some lower poundage bows (50 or 60lb max) complete for $200 or $300. You can probably find a 20 year newer bow with better rest and sight for not that much more than what you’ll put into that one for strings cable.

·
Back Yard Champion
35,301 Posts
Limbs are not cracked that I can tell , said "could not see a crack in limb ". I bought this new back in the day and put it up I'm
think around 2013 ( in shed ) replacement bow is to much for me and the crossbow has a cracked limb , so dug it back out thinking with the smaller round cam it might be good for me ?
Your picture separates the sentence is why I thought you gave of the limbs being cracked.

Small wheel cams only gave about 50% let off. Sort of smooth getting to peak, but harder to hold to full draw.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you all for your input , Had a new string from back when I was shooting this bow never been on till today cranked it ( bolt ) out 4 rounds and still could not use it . . It's been 13 years since I shot any . I think when I got this #70 bow new it bottom out at #78 .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts