Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How easy do aluminum arrows bend? I want to try them but I am really nervous about bending them so I haven't picked any up yet. I shoot a little 3-D on weekends and hunt. Should I worry about them bending or just go get some? I know they are not that expensive but I don't want to constantly buy arrows. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
depends on the aluminum! If the second two numbers are 13 or higher, they will be decently tough. I shoot 2314's and they don't bend that easy.

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
As long as you don't mistreat them they will be fine.

Don't step on them.

Don't put a bow on them.

Basically don't put pressure on them....

And you will have the best shooting arrows out there:)

·
Registered
64 Posts
It depends on what they hit or how much they're bent. I got my first compound bow about 30 years ago and am still shooting some of those arrows. I've had them so long I couldn't even tell you what size they are anymore, but they are still perfectly usable. Once they go through a critter, that may be a different story. I have know folks that have killed more than one deer with the same arrow, but I think that was more luck than the arrows durability though. I'd don't know as I'll ever shoot anything but aluminum. I certainly don't want to ever have a carbon explode and go through my hand like some have had happen. I know it's not all that common, but I've got the kind of luck that I'll be one of those few that do have it happen. Before you have to worry about that with an aluminum arrow, it will be very apperant the arrow is damaged and firing it will get you what you deserve.

·
Arrow-minded Conservative
3,277 Posts
Another's wisdom

This was someone else's response to a similar question here on AT a while ago:

I bet you a hundred to one you were shooting 2312's or something like that. Most people started shooting those for the extra speed right before carbons got so popular and yes they do bend easy. IMO most people that say how fragile aluminum is/was shot these thin-walled arrows and judge all aluminums on that experience.

If you shoot XX15, 16, 17, or 19 they are tough and tougher in that order. The BIG problem is most people won't shoot those arrows because we are being spoon fed that the ONLY thing that matters in archery is speed.

In short, if you want a faster aluminum arrow or a likely one-time hunting arrow that you have to be careful with get the XX12's. If you want a tough arrow and still get some arrow speed, get the XX15's. If you want an arrow that is just as tough as a carbon and—on straight-on impacts—probably tougher than most carbons, get the XX19.......but, yes, you will be shooting very slow with that one.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This was someone else's response to a similar question here on AT a while ago:

I bet you a hundred to one you were shooting 2312's or something like that. Most people started shooting those for the extra speed right before carbons got so popular and yes they do bend easy. IMO most people that say how fragile aluminum is/was shot these thin-walled arrows and judge all aluminums on that experience.

If you shoot XX15, 16, 17, or 19 they are tough and tougher in that order. The BIG problem is most people won't shoot those arrows because we are being spoon fed that the ONLY thing that matters in archery is speed.

In short, if you want a faster aluminum arrow or a likely one-time hunting arrow that you have to be careful with get the XX12's. If you want a tough arrow and still get some arrow speed, get the XX15's. If you want an arrow that is just as tough as a carbon and—on straight-on impacts—probably tougher than most carbons, get the XX19.......but, yes, you will be shooting very slow with that one.
Thanks! I am not overly concerned with speed. I just want a good durable aluminum.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I am looking at 2215 or maybe 2117. So I will be fine. Thanks!
I shoot 2215 and have bent one in last two years. I grazed one off of a 3D target and the tree behind it bent it. I shoot about 100 arrows a week in season and about 50 a week this time of year. The aluminums are easier to fletch, cheaper to buy, and more consistent in flight. The extra weight may slow the bow down a little but it keeps the KE up and makes the bow whisper quiet. I tried the carbons and did not see what all the rave is about.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
The XX78 shaft is straighter and more consistant than all but the best carbons. I have never bent one. However I have cracked several if I hit something hard. (Please pull your metal target pins from the backstops!) The aluminums are just heavier than a high end carbon. That being said, they are cheaper to shoot.
If you want to try some, send me a PM as I have some new XX75 shafts in 2315 size that I will give you a good deal on. The XX78 is a bit straighter and harder than the XX75 shafts.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Word of warning !!!!!!

If you plan on shooting them in 3 D shoots be sure to EVERYONE in your group that you will pull your own arrows......otherwise some of the "heavy handed" boys will pull them like they do carbons and bend the heck out of them.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The XX78 shaft is straighter and more consistant than all but the best carbons. I have never bent one. However I have cracked several if I hit something hard. (Please pull your metal target pins from the backstops!) The aluminums are just heavier than a high end carbon. That being said, they are cheaper to shoot.
If you want to try some, send me a PM as I have some new XX75 shafts in 2315 size that I will give you a good deal on. The XX78 is a bit straighter and harder than the XX75 shafts.
Thanks but I am looking at getting 2215's.

·
Grumpy Old Man
26,816 Posts
If they bend you just go and buy and arrow straightener and straighten them.......:noidea:

I'm shooting xx75 2216 with a 125 Magnus head......one tough combo.....:thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts