Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently shot a Switchback abnd found I needed to bend forward to get my nose on the string' Is this common with these shorter axle to axle bows or is it a function of draw length?
Thanks for any help
NW

·
Registered
28,189 Posts
It is harder on short ATA bows because of string angle but it can be done. You shouldn't bend your head. Adjust the draw to fit you not you to fit the draw.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I put the kisser button in the corner of my mouth then bend my head slightly to touch the string with my nose. Dunno if it is "wrong" or not but that's the way I shoot and I do OK.

Whatever works for you is the "right" way. As long as you can replicate an anchor point consistently, I don't think it matters much how other people find their anchor. I've seen people with what would be considered horrendous form shoot the spots off dice.

BTW, I shoot a Browning Yukon. Dunno if that makes any difference to my observations or not. Maybe other bows are harder to try this techique on?

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Touching the nose to the string is not a set in stone reference, although I do it myself. I do have the correct string angle to allow this…

If you are using a peep it is a matter of developing the habit of centering the peep more carefully…

I do not recommend lengthening the draw or leaning into the string to bring the nose into play… In some cases it is possible to raise the rear anchor point slightly and allow the nose to touch. But be aware that doing so will cut the distance you can shoot a bit…

·
Registered
28,189 Posts
I will agree with what Javi said. But I have never had a problem getting my nose to touch and getting my draw correct on long or short bows. I have had bows from 31.5"-40" and I was able to get a perfect fit for draw and touch my nose. If you can't do both then go by draw like Javi said. Don't over draw the bow to make it fit. Again I have never had a problem but that is where personally anchor and physical features make us differ. I have shot with my nose touching for so many years that I can't shoot without it, others can.

·
southern traditions
5,005 Posts
you should be able to draw back to your anchor point with your eyes shut and when you open your eye you should be looking straight thru your peep if you cant then you need to move your peep

·
Registered
168 Posts
Very true on the advice for peep alignment. I use the kisser/nose procedure because I took my peep sight off the bow.

·
Registered
769 Posts
My face is flattish and my nose is short....so I tried tilting my head forward to touch my nose on the string....I shot about 10 arrows and my neck started to hurt. Never used that technique again....now I just use a peep and a kisser.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts