Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the deal on some of the top hoyt shooters having to bend there risers to get them to tune. Anyone know what they were doing there? They say the new Elite risers (shoot thru) are the first ones they have not had to do this with? Can anybody explain this?

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
The only posts I have ever seen on bending a Hoyt riser was to bend it straighten it, after bending it in the wrong bow press. ;)

Sag.

·
Registered
687 Posts
This is news to me too.
Think about this---if you were a "top hoyt shooter" why would you have to bend your riser to fix it?
As a "top shooter" I am sure Hoyt would see that you recived a "hand picked" bow.

If said "top shooter" was out and about saying he had to "bend" his factory riser to get it to perform---he may find himself looking for another company to shoot for.

·
*Chick Repellent*
21,417 Posts
I've NEVER heard of such a thing!!!! I swear there is somebody out there reading this thread going "hahaha I started that rumor and now it's on Archery Talk hahaha" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yea bent risers-sure- had a bent riser on my protec, new bent protec - that the shop tech kindly bent in a press, then it wouldn't shot an X but a 4/8 left everytime, guess I should have moved my sight, eh!! After much discussion and Hoyt denials, that they could be bent, they gave me another and never shot that bow again, now "I" know why I can't shoot 60x's. David Chouinard

·
Registered
33,384 Posts
I have heard it more than once. It is their dirty little secret. I heard it was because the tec design does not allow for uniform flexing throughout the riser. The bending hinges on the ends of the bridge (the limb pockets). The guys I talked to said that it helped them obtain better centershot and made the bows less critical of arrowspine.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Shop owners need to jump on this quick!
Once you sell a new $800 Hoyt, let the customer know that for a small price you will put the bow in your press and give it a "secret" bend.
Only then will it shoot as well as "the pros"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
pippin

Pippin,

Thats exactly right, thats what they were saying. to me it just seems too much, i mean how do ya know how much to bend it. you could screw up a nice bow really quickly. they were bending it in the lateral plane. and it was not like it would not shoot with out doing it it just tuned better once it was done. but they say the new risers are great (shootthru) and they also like the new limb pocket hook up a good improvement. i also heard a little better on arrowspine.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Hoyt_Pro does it......

He told me that a 2deg bend on the top 15 % of the riser was just enough to put him in the drivers seat at the Illinois Smackdown! ;) :rolleyes:

The 2deg bend (or twist) matched the natural cant he has at full draw. Plus it cancels out the 2deg cant of his release at anchor. After doing this it closed his groups up to 5inchs at 20 yards.....:p

·
Registered
689 Posts
s

Its the limb pockets, I have done it myself, if you put them in a press and take the bow apart it will move on ya, put it back together and sometimes the center shot is off, I have had to put my knee in the middle of the bow and pull on the limbs to get it back, had a couple of them pop back into place, anyone on here can say its a joke or whatever but I have done it, not saying that I am anyone but If I have done it to my bows I am sure some of the pros have had to do it to, specailly when they change limbs and cams to find there sweet spot. Why do you think they made the new limb pocket, its pretty much bullet proof.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.