Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying for a while now to switch to a thumb release and I just can't get comfortable with it. I can shoot much better and am more consistant with my wrist-strap release. Are there that many advantages that a thumb release has over a wrist-strap?

·
Registered
51,169 Posts
I've been shooting thumb releases for close to 30 yrs and like them. I don't care for anything around my wrist. Main advantage for me is I use a rope loop and once on stand I just hook it up on the loop then at the moment of truth I'm not fumbling around getting my release on the bow. Side note I always carry a spare incase I bump it and it ends up on the ground. But the bottom line is use what your comfortable with.:wink:

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I agree 100%. I use one and have for quite a few years. That being said I also used a Scott Little Goose for years too. If you don't like it and prefer an index release use that. I would however go to your pro shop and get a bit of instruction on how to properly shoot with the T Handle though.(you may have already) You may be doing something wrong that your not aware of that may help you out in your decsion. Good luck. What are you shooting if I may ask?

Scott

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree 100%. I use one and have for quite a few years. That being said I also used a Scott Little Goose for years too. If you don't like it and prefer an index release use that. I would however go to your pro shop and get a bit of instruction on how to properly shoot with the T Handle though.(you may have already) You may be doing something wrong that your not aware of that may help you out in your decsion. Good luck. What are you shooting if I may ask?

Scott

I've actually tried it on a few different bows: Drenalin, DXT, and Prestige

·
Registered
51,169 Posts
I've actually tried it on a few different bows: Drenalin, DXT, and Prestige
Bow doesn't matter, what he is saying is try a few different releases as there are a few different thumb releases on the market. I use the Tru Ball thumb push caliper. Tru Ball also has one called the diamond pro that you pull the trigger with your thumb rather than push.:wink:

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I just got a Carter "fits me too" I am starting to switch over the the thumb release. but It takes time to get in down:wink: I have fired a few times when i was not ready:angry: But i have a back stop so no arrow loss:thumbs_up

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I've been trying for a while now to switch to a thumb release and I just can't get comfortable with it. I can shoot much better and am more consistant with my wrist-strap release. Are there that many advantages that a thumb release has over a wrist-strap?
NO

If you feel that your strap is not quite what it should be----try that release as a concho ----it's a very strong style of shooting

·
Registered
590 Posts
It took me two of the longest weeks of my life to get use to the Tru-ball I bought. My groups are better than when I was using a wrist release. I set mine so light that it really still surprises me when it goes off. If you can overcome the frustration of trying something new it could really benefit you. I don't think I could go back to using the wrist release any more because I shoot better with the t handle. You might need to shorten up your DL a little to accomadate the release and new style of anchoring. When I switched releases mine shortened up like a 1/4"-1/2". Just stay calm and remember that you won't be great at first but it will come around rather quickly. Good luck and good shooting.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I don't see an advantage... I shot a Scott Caliper & Mongoose release for 10 years and switched and I developed horrible target panic with a thumb release. it took a long time of shooting Stanislavsky releases and back tension to finally break that. I have a carter Evolution+ and a Carter Only now and I really like them

good luck!!

·
C:\My Documents\My Pictur
23,094 Posts
Hello
If trying something different.Gensis Archery .Has a strap thumb release. Visit his site for a view. I like the round ball on mine better than the thumb drum barrel. If interested.Icould send you a link.[Later

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
These releases from Kudelack look pretty nice and give you the best of both worlds. I definitely would like to test shoot one sometime!!

Hello
If trying something different.Gensis Archery .Has a strap thumb release. Visit his site for a view. I like the round ball on mine better than the thumb drum barrel. If interested.Icould send you a link.[Later

·
Registered
590 Posts
Tru-ball has a strap that you can put on about any of the t handle releases and make it feel like your wearing a wrist release but don't have to worry about letting go of it when shooting. Just a thought.

·
C:\My Documents\My Pictur
23,094 Posts
These releases from Kudelack look pretty nice and give you the best of both worlds. I definitely would like to test shoot one sometime!!
-------------

I had 2 of them.And a archer that comes to are club shoots talked me out of one. He likes the barrel for a thumb nob.That was over a year ago..And now he can compete with the best of them.I grant you he has always been a fine competing archer. But he still uses the thumb release.So that tells one something. :wink: Also might add it works better with ones anchor ,and there is no travel in the thumb part of this release.And no loading up on the thumb. Like in many cases happens to a index finger.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I use them exclusively now for 3D and hunting...after 15 mins of seriously trying them out for the first time late in 07, I was immediately shooting tighter groups. Although I know they're not for everyone, however for those they are for, they really work.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Posting without reading others responses, so it has likely been said.

If you punch your release, it doesn't matter if you shoot a index actuated release or a thumb release. In my opinion, punching a thumb trigger is actually worse, or at least it has caused worse impacts for me.

However, If you wrap your thumb around the peg and squeeze the trigger, or pull through it like a hinge, they are a great release, but in that same nature, so is an index finger release.

No one release is for everybody. However, somebody that shoots a solid shot will likely be able ot do so with most release aid types.

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
You cant "try it" you have to commit to it. I hated it at first but my scores were improving and my groupes tightened. I thought it wasnt for me and went back to wrist strap and couldnt shoot groups worth anything. There is a benefit and that is that its harder to punch the trigger.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I agree, punching a thumbtrigger seems to yield worse results than with a wrist strap release.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
I agree, punching a thumbtrigger seems to yield worse results than with a wrist strap release.
i would agree. I recently switched and now I dont know if I should switch back to my index release. i am not sure what to go with. I like the feel at full draw of a thumb release but if I punch the trigger the impact is way off. I hunt exclusivly so i am worried about the possibility of getting excited and punching the trigger when hunting..

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Unless you have the tendancy to punch pretty much out of your system you may wanna just stick with the wrist strap for hunting now. What thumb trigger are you using? I can adjust the spring tension on my Carter..I have a fairly light spring so in the rare event that I do punch its not as bad as a punch on a stiff trigger.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
I have a Carter Just B Cuz. I might try a lighter spring. I have always hunted with a index, but picked up a T release because of the good things I have heard about them (more accurate). i want the best thing for hunting here out west.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts