Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this Martin Jaguar for bowfishing in March.
Its an affordable bow and I like it, but Friday when I went
to go bowfishing I saw this: Bent Limb!

Has anyone had this issue, and more importantly
did Martin replace the limbs.
I have a few calls into Martin since Friday and waiting for a call back.
I've seen where you can buy replacement limbs but I really don't have
the cash to sink in any deeper.
It will be Stingray season soon.

So now, I am back to my ole Oneida Eagle.

·
Registered
20,776 Posts
CC -

Might want to check some of the other Martin threads. And unstring that bow asap.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got a call, and the fella said to take it to a Martin dealer,
or ship back myself, and they would replace them.
He said they should be in stock, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Its bowfishing season......now

·
Registered
76,761 Posts
Got a call, and the fella said to take it to a Martin dealer,
or ship back myself, and they would replace them.
He said they should be in stock, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Its bowfishing season......now
I'd not be too concerned about them taking care of you.

Much Aloha... :cool::beer:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not,
I have been shooting Martins for about 25 years,
and this is the first time I've ever had a problem.
Calling the factory or sending something back is
a new experience.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
If it hasn't already occurred, someone is going to receive a serious injury, maybe lose and eye or vision and Martin is going to lose their butts.

·
Registered
76,761 Posts
:teeth:
If it hasn't already occurred, someone is going to receive a serious injury, maybe lose and eye or vision and Martin is going to lose their butts.
I seriously doubt it. I've had catastrophic losses with Martins before and one of them raccooned right good and proper. Never occurred to me to sue. If I lost an eye, that might be something, but I'd hardly be suing them for gross negligence.

Aloha.. :cool::beer:

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
but I'd hardly be suing them for gross negligence.

Aloha.. :cool::beer:
Not even on Martin's part for putting such a crappy bow on the market? Yeah I know, there are a lot of Jags out there and we only here/read of a few problems but I wonder how many people are having problems that we don't hear about. I can't fathom that every problem that has been encountered with the Jag.......WORLDWIDE..........has been posted on AT so I think the number of people having problems with the Jag is much higher and the gross negligence is with Martin.

·
Registered
877 Posts
A few problems??? Delaminated limbs, limbs that don't fit, limb bolts that dont fit. Sounds like more than a few problems.
Steve

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
wow

As posted before these bows need to be recalled and new tested tried and true limbs either supplied or your money back... again a toyota thing.. happening here... all these posts a lawyer would have a hay day in court with just these posts alone of failures.. big payout to some one who gets hurt.. These bows are of sub standard quality and are a black mark for martin no matter what price... BUYERS BEWARE...some body at martin wake up .....

·
Registered
76,761 Posts
Not even on Martin's part for putting such a crappy bow on the market? Yeah I know, there are a lot of Jags out there and we only here/read of a few problems but I wonder how many people are having problems that we don't hear about. I can't fathom that every problem that has been encountered with the Jag.......WORLDWIDE..........has been posted on AT so I think the number of people having problems with the Jag is much higher and the gross negligence is with Martin.
Martin may have had problems with the limbs on this bow and I may myself have problems with mine but let me ask you something... are you aware of bows blowing up? Ummmm yes you are and yet you continue shoot the bow? Has martin bows blown up? Yes, I've had catastrophic breaks on one of my Hunters that hit me square across the cheeks, nose and eye. Pretty funny too... fortunately I was anesthisized at the time having had a few beers with my arrow picker upper the now dearly departed "trusty Rusty".

There are several manufacturers here that I consider much worse than Martin when it comes to failures. Gross Negligence though with a bow like the Jaguar which has an imported limb apparently not built to spec is hardly gross negligence unless that limb constitutes a unique hazard, and though I'm not a lawyer, I don't see it.

Every manufacturer, by the way, has probably had "catastrophic" losses of their limbs. Of course in the world of Obama, manufacturers might as well close their doors because there surely is no bias against the litigators.

Aloha... :cool::beer:

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
That's what I'm thinking..

·
Registered
20,776 Posts
Gents -

It's really easy to jump on an Internet forum and bash anything and everything with some degree of impunity. Guess it makes some people feel superior.

Fact is most major (and smaller) companies have had bad runs of bows, arrows, cars, toothpaste, whatever. Bear, Samick, WW, PSE (Ragim) and now Martin (probably also Ragim), heck even Hoyt, as well as a "custom" guy or two (names withheld) have had issues in the past. This stuff happens. The real question is how (well) does the company deal with it.

If you're uncomfortable dealing with a company that has had a "bad run", then don't. That's how the market place works and it really is that simple.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Guess it makes some people feel superior
I consider that statement to be smug and condescending, and apropos coming from you.

Forget the toothpaste and cars; what is being reported and discussed here is the widespread and frequent catastrophic failure rate of the Martin Jaguar recurve bow; and the problem is not just being reported and discussed here on AT.

Please list another brand of bow(s) that is presently having a similar failure rate of which the failures are almost always identical as with the limbs on the Martin Jaguar.

Maybe you should do a bit of research on archery bow recalls; compound and traditional. You could start with the recall of a few thousand Bear compounds that occurred several years ago, and again a few years ago with Bear crossbows. How about the thousands of BowTech bows that were recalled? I remember that one very well. It was used by the Mathews vs. Bowtech crowd in their "My bow is better than your bow" BS.

Coming from a time when the "word" was slow to get around..or never, having the Internet and these forums are a Godsend for consumers.

There is a thing called "Product Liability." Under the protective and accountability umbrella of the Product Liability Act are stipulations regarding negligence and strict liability, to name just two of many.

File a complaint..............

U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of serious injury or death from thousands of types of consumer products under the agency's jurisdiction. The CPSC is committed to protecting consumers and families from products that pose a fire, electrical, chemical, or mechanical hazard.
To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury, call CPSC's Hotline at (800) 638-2772 or CPSC's teletypewriter at (301) 595-7054. To join a CPSC e-mail subscription list, please go to https://www.cpsc.gov/cpsclist.aspx Consumers can obtain recall and general safety information by logging on to CPSC's Web site at www.cpsc.gov.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Please list another brand of bow(s) that is presently having a similar failure rate of which the failures are almost always identical as with the limbs on the Martin Jaguar.
I'll chime on that one. My Hoyt 900CX limbs shortly after I purchased mine. Now out of production after a short year of problems.

Coming from a time when the "word" was slow to get around..or never, having the Internet and these forums are a Godsend for consumers.
This also can make for a "normal failure rate" to appear abnormal. There is a the opposite of a survivorship bias built into the data. IOW, failures report more than non-failures, which have no reason to be reported other than a positive review now and then.

For the record on Martin, I did see a brand new Hunter snap in two pieces at the riser the other day. No sign of laminate glue could be found at the break point. Now, we have one negative report on a higher end Martin to add to the positive reports - new ratio???

Aside, I too think there is something to these breaks. They are seeming too common in number and in type of failure; although, I saw a new Jag sold last night and offered no opinion on its quality. Good or bad of me? I don't know.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
"normal failure rate"
What is considered a normal failure rate? What influences a normal failure rate?

I'll chime on that one. My Hoyt 900CX limbs shortly after I purchased mine. Now out of production after a short year of problems.
In other words, the limbs/bow were taken out of production due to a certain failure history?

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
What is considered a normal failure rate? What influences a normal failure rate?
All production has a failure rate. "Normal" can only be judged from a historical perspective for the individual company as well as there being an industry rate.

In other words, the limbs/bow were taken out of production due to a certain failure history?
Not by any admission on the part of the company. All there is is speculation on my part and many message board discussions re delaminations. The newer carbon/foam limbs Hoyt released may have been just a better design change, but why better and why so fast a design change? Then we have user abuse - light strings - light arrows - etc. Mine have held up fine, but such knowledge beforehand would have influenced my decision to lay out bucks in the first place.

That's why I guess I didn't try to influence the Jag buyer. I have opinions, but without good data, should I try to change another person's mind - I could harm them if they have their heart and money married to a certain bow. Now, if I knew for "fact", then, I feel I had that obligation to chime in on his purchase. That's different to me than posting on subjects where the failure has already occurred, as here at AT, which is getting more common.

·
Registered
877 Posts
The one thing we'll never know, but would be curious to learn, was how many they had problems with vs. how many were sold. Years ago, I was talking to a tech at Bowhunters Warehouse about the Jennings Buckmaster. He told me they had more returned with broken limbs than any other bow. They also sold 4 times as many of them vs. the other bows, so it goes with the territory.
Steve

1 - 20 of 33 Posts