Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a couple photos of one of each: a bent VAP stainless steel insert, a bent Muddy stainless steel insert.

Both inserts hit metal. The VAP - rebar holding up a target (so went halfway through a rhinehart). The Muddy - metal hit when the target was missed.

Many folks have complained about the bending in bag targets, but i had not seen photos to see where. So here are a couple examples.

Both this are for micro diameter shafts (0.165 ID). The bending may be the result of
1) not carrying the SS throughout the insert portion of the insert. Or,
2) it may be due to the fact that a stronger steel is required to deal with the forces caused by abrupt stop and the small diameter of the insert is not fat enough to handle this force (i believe this is the case since you can see a part of the VAP fatter insert is bent).

The Muddy caused an exploded Black Eagle Deep Impact. The VAP cause a fractured VAP.

To protect this problem (as it could occur on bone impact) there are two posts for homemade outserts. Go here... I believe Henro has testing of abrupt stop impacts that prevented the bend.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2251780

Attachments

·
Team Overkill
6,628 Posts
That's why I'm back to what works, Gold Tip for me!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts