Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bernie is holding a Shooter's School Sept 22-24 and I was wondering if anybody has taken this and what was their experience?

·
Registered
303 Posts
weekend at bernies

I tell you what I went and it was the best experiance there is if you wanna learn to shoot with predictable accuracy you find a lot out that you have been missing in shooting

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
buddy of mine went and he really wasnt impressed. said alot of it goes against what other coaches are teaching. Now that he himself is a level 2 coach and he is explaining something he uses him as an example of what not to do

·
Registered
824 Posts
Try one-on-one coaching

I attended one of Mr. Pellerite shooting schools... You can learn a lot from him but usually it's Bernie's way or no way. :rolleyes:

After the first day 1/2 I was ready to hear someone else talk for just a bit :wink:

It depends on your level (where your at in your shooting) how much you will "take" away from his school, or a big shooting class. I found that my shooting improved for me to pay for some one-on-one coaching with one of the top coaches.

When it's one-on-one the coach will work with your strong points and try to fix the problem area's. A coach teaching a big class (10+ shooters) he'll just touch on what’s right and what wrong with "most people shooting" in his mind.

Just my experience...
Archermike

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am kind of at that "sticking point" where I can certainly hold my own, but want to kick it up a notch, but won't get that way on my own.

·
Registered
704 Posts
buddy of mine went and he really wasnt impressed. said alot of it goes against what other coaches are teaching. Now that he himself is a level 2 coach and he is explaining something he uses him as an example of what not to do
You either take what Bernie says and work with it (which means you need to do a lot of work) or you could just go to another coach and adopt whatever they think is right. The only thing I can say is what Bernie teaches is not Bernie. He is not good at shooting but he is good at coaching. He does not teach Bernie's technique but a combination of the best shooter's secrets that he has either been given or learned by watching. I tried other techniques but came back to Bernie's every time. Bernies is a great overall archery class that covers most everything. If you want one on one coaching from Bernie, you can arrange that too but the class is mostly a group thing.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Here is my take

His class is good into making average shooters better. For example taking a 298 shooter and making him a 300

But

If your a 300 52-53 shooter on a consistant basis I think another coaches one - on - one training would be money better spent

·
Premium Member
20,334 Posts
I hosted a weekend with Bernie last December.

I have to say, he is a most intriguing man. I thoroughly enjoyed having him and his lovely wife spend the weekend with us.

He gets my top recommendation, Doc.:)

·
Registered
971 Posts
I am sure you would come away with something that will help your shooting, if I had a chance to go I most certainly would. You always have to stay open to ideas and I am sure he will have plenty.
Cheers
Peter

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
When you get done with the school you will know why the pro shooters shoot like machines and the average archer well why they are average.I tooked it 10yrs ago and I would say it has changed since then with all the better equipment on the market.The biggest thing will be getting your draw length to the closest 1\8" and not to draw too much weight and you should beable to find a releases on the market to fit your personality type.Have fun

·
Joeah
214 Posts
Bernies Shooting School

I experienced Bernie's School about 5 years ago. He is very knowledgeable and what he teaches is good solid form. Some do not like his personality, but his information is excellent. I strongly recommend him.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Doc said:
Bernie is holding a Shooter's School Sept 22-24 and I was wondering if anybody has taken this and what was their experience?
where is the class gonna be held doc?

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
drtnshtr said:
where is the class gonna be held doc?
He is going to hold it at his place in Columbus, OH. Specifically it is relatively close to the Columbus airport from what I understand. Let me know if you or anybody else is interested in attending.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Bernie Pellerite

Yes, his classes will definately help you. Listen to what he has to say and start at the beginning of his program (deprogramming your bad habits) when you get home. Also, have an open mind but ask any and all questions you may have. Plus you will make some new archery friends as classmates. Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts