Archery Talk Forum banner

Best 2 blade on a budget?

1833 Views 27 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  Fixed blades only.
What's a good reliable, sharp, 2 blade broadhead that's not going to break the bank? Love the idea of Iron Wills but can't really afford that at the moment. Need a 125g option.

I've been shooting these from fleabay. They spin true, surprisingly all within .5 grains of each other, have a decent edge that I could probably touch up if I were better at sharpening, and they seem extremely easy to tune. They're a little noisy though. There is a definite loud pfffffffffffffffft sound in flight. Sounds kind of cool actually, but not while shooting at something that can move lol.

They do great on a foam block, but I haven't shot an animal with them yet. Kind of hesitant to, with them being el cheapos. I know the steel probably isn't that great, but based on how these shoot I'd like to look into a "real" broadhead option of similar shape and size.

BT

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
3,879 Posts
What's a good reliable, sharp, 2 blade broadhead that's not going to break the bank? Love the idea of Iron Wills but can't really afford that at the moment. Need a 125g option.

I've been shooting these from fleabay. They spin true, surprisingly all within .5 grains of each other, have a decent edge that I could probably touch up if I were better at sharpening, and they seem extremely easy to tune. They're a little noisy though. There is a definite loud pfffffffffffffffft sound in flight. Sounds kind of cool actually, but not while shooting at something that can move lol.

They do great on a foam block, but I haven't shot an animal with them yet. Kind of hesitant to, with them being el cheapos. I know the steel probably isn't that great, but based on how these shoot I'd like to look into a "real" broadhead option of similar shape and size.

BT
You absolutely will not find a more tried and true broadhead than magnus stinger

· Genesis 21:20
25,291 Posts

BT
Zwickey Eskilite is 135 grains with the screw in adapter. Hard to beat those for value and toughness.

Reactions: PreacherMan76

· Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've seen the magnus mentioned ALOT. Any advantages to the version with the smaller bleeder blades? What about the ones that look like they are serrated?

Am I losing anything by using a 2 blade over a 3 blade or 4 blade, besides the obvious more cuts. What about gains from a 2 blade over a multi blade?

BT

· Registered
1,820 Posts
I've seen the magnus mentioned ALOT. Any advantages to the version with the smaller bleeder blades? What about the ones that look like they are serrated?

Am I losing anything by using a 2 blade over a 3 blade or 4 blade, besides the obvious more cuts. What about gains from a 2 blade over a multi blade?

BT
Just more cutting diameter with 4blade,bigger hole.

· Registered
1,928 Posts

BT
Doesnt matter what magnus head you buy. They all do the job, sharpen up easily and get stupid sharp.

Plus lifetime warrenty.

I use the 4 blade stinger buzzcuts and ser razors. Used the 2 blade stinger and hornet and while I killed everything I hit with them and never lost a deer, the bloodtrails were better and shorter with the chisel serrations of the 4 blade buzzcut and see razor.

· Registered
3,879 Posts

BT
I believe it is worth adding the bleeders, but going to serrated….I’m not convinced on that one. I shot the magnus stingers and the buzz cuts for many years and never saw a difference between the two. I no longer use them but would not hesitate for a second to go back.

· Registered
25 Posts
i have shot animals with alot of different broadheads and did a lot of research as well. if you want a fixed head on a budget, you can't beat magnus stingers. If you want a great mechanical that i feel is better then any other, look at Sevr 1.5. Both have been flawless. with that being said the magnus is better for a lower KE setup or lower pound draw weights and probably more versatile overall out of more setups.

· Registered
2,137 Posts
Lots of great suggestions here. I’ve been buying all of my heads (single bevel) out of Australia the past 5-10 years. I've busted through humerus and femurs (my Spot Hogg release failed on me and released mid-draw) with them and they are significantly cheaper and just as durable than any US made single bevel. Right now I’m using Alien Archery Matrix.

· Registered
Compound and bare bow recurve.
2,602 Posts
Magnus Stinger two blade, German Jager and Two blade Zwickey Eskilites that are the screw in version. Magnus and German Jager are easy to resharpen. Zwickey come dull and you need to sharpen. They are harder to get sharp, but they are tough nails and will out live you. For the Zwickey start with a flat file and finish on a flat stone. These are all great heads.

· Registered
Compound and bare bow recurve.
2,602 Posts

BT
Two blade head leaves more of a slit. A three blade head leaves a triangle shaped hole. I shoot both styles out of my recurve and both work well. Use what ever flies better. Out of a recurve both two and three blades fly good. Out of a compound three blades, not so much without more tuning. Just my experience. Your mileage may vary.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts