Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well all my 11+ year old rangefinder finally crapped out on me the other day and I'm my to take advantage of some of these sales today. What does everyone suggest for the best bang for the buck in that $200 range? Mostly using for bow hunting.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Vortex! Lifetime warranty! If it ever breaks send it back and they fix it or send you a new one. They range from $200-$800 depending on which model you go with.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Second this! Vortex stuff is the best bang for the buck. I have a nikon archery rangefinder as a backup in a similar price range and its a nice no-frills option as well. I can't remember the model but also worth a look.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I’ve tried the Vortex Ranger and the Sig Sauer Kilo and the Sig is quite a bit better in my opinion. And Sig’s warranty is great too it’s just not as advertised as Vortex. I’m a big Vortex guy, but Sig makes better rangefinders.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Vortex! Lifetime warranty! If it ever breaks send it back and they fix it or send you a new one. They range from $200-$800 depending on which model you go with.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Vortex is very appealing for the warranty as well. The impact is on sale some places for 180,

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
This is the exact one I was looking at but I'm not pleased with the 2yr warranty.

I got one last spring for $189 shipped. It's my 3rd Leupold. My 1st one, an RX-750, I bought in 2007. It finally died in May 2020, after I left it sitting inside my sopping wet turkey vest, inside my truck, in the hot Georgia sun, for a couple of days. That wasn't the first time I'd done that over the years either. It did me a favor by dying, because otherwise, I wouldn't have found the deal with red display and significantly upgraded tech.

My 2nd Leupold, an RX-850i /TBR, I bought about 6 years ago. It's still doing great. It's survived all kinds of weather and abuse, including 5 Idaho backcountry, horsepack elk hunts. Leupolds are tough, compact, weatherproof, and more accurate than Vortex in shadows at bow hunting ranges.

Just saying...I've never needed warranty service on my Leupold's. A buddy of mine had a really nice $450 Vortex. At bow range, he and I both preferred the features, speed and accuracy of my Leupold. At longer rifle shot type ranges, the Vortex wins. Then, somehow, he lost his Vortex... Warranty doesn't cover that.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think you just sold me. I think the quality of their stuff speaks for itself and I love that red display. Can't find that in other brands in that price point.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Does the 1400i do line of sight or actually lateral yards
It has a line of sight mode, if you want that. It also has angle compensation modes for both bow and rifle. It just depends on what mode you choose. I generally keep mine on bow mode, so on level ground, it does line of sight, but 25 feet up in a tree, it gives the shot distance from the tree to the animal, rather than the hypotenuse distance, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I've been tempted to get this one (Astra Optix OTX1600) several times on Amazon as it has all the features of the more popular ones that cost more. Looking today, I see that it's on sale for only $169.

Seems to have great reviews.

Anyone have personal experience with this brand?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Truth be told, I think people pay a lot of extra money for rangefinders marketed for “hunting”. I have and use one that’s advertised for golfers and it works just fine and only cost $50. You can of course get them with all the extra bells and whistles; but if you want a simple thing that can give you accurate distance, get a cheap golf one

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
I've been tempted to get this one (Astra Optix OTX1600) several times on Amazon as it has all the features of the more popular ones that cost more. Looking today, I see that it's on sale for only $169.

Seems to have great reviews.

Anyone have personal experience with this brand?
Wow! This is the first of these "off brand" rangefinders I've seen that's "weatherproof". Whenever I've looked in the past (it's been awhile), that lack of waterproofness was always the fatal flaw.

I think you should buy one, field test it and review it on AT!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Wow! This is the first of these "off brand" rangefinders I've seen that's "weatherproof". Whenever I've looked in the past (it's been awhile), that lack of waterproofness was always the fatal flaw.

I think you should buy one, field test it and review it on AT!
I actually have this one and while it's the only range finder I've ever had I'll say it's sensitive or seems like it. Any branch or twig will throw off the range. Sometimes it seems impossible to get a clear shot on something in a tree stand to get it to give you a repeatable range.

Reactions: BigXX78

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
I actually have this one and while it's the only range finder I've ever had I'll say it's sensitive or seems like it. Any branch or twig will throw off the range. Sometimes it seems impossible to get a clear shot on something in a tree stand to get it to give you a repeatable range.
That helps me understand what's wrong with those. I've never had those problems with Leupolds. It will occasionally register a branch that is really in the way, but it's easy to find the clear shot, even with branches nearby. Leupolds also give very accurate, repeatable range readings in all kinds of real hunting conditions.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts