Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IBO or ASA for first time 3D shoot? When you show up at either, is their cards or book that show scoring on each target? And do you have to be a member of an archery organization to shoot either?

·
Registered
733 Posts
I would start out with a local 3D in your area, before you jump in to a ASA or IBO tournament. You can shoot either without being a member.

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
Asa is what I shoot, have never seen a ibo shoot around here in my area. You will need to be a asa member to shoot a pro/am and to qualify for a state asa you have to be a member. If your just shooting for fun at asa general shoot you don’t have to be a member. No clue about ibo.
Scoring is best looked up online, people at shoots will help you score but to get a idea you need to look online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Local shoot would be a good place to wet your feet, shoot with a club member and ask questions in a more relaxed atmosphere. Look on McKenzie’s website for scoring (ASA) or Rinehart (IBO). Not sure where you are located but if in the south ASA would be the more local game. IBO more based in the Northern regions. I would drive by 2 IBO’s to shoot an ASA, just a much better ran organization IMO. Enjoy and have fun first off, progress at your own speed.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Asa!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Just find a local shoot and go. Asa has taken the lead in popularity. IBO is probably a bit easier on the beginner with center 12's, or 11's depending. My local circuit is such a mix bag we have both options at each shoot. Kind of funny and annoying sometimes. We just got a couple clubs that got full sets of targets to put on ASA state qualifiers. Hunter and K40 tend towards IBO scoring while the money classes are ASA. Go figure.

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
The local idea is a sound one. You have to learn the targets McKenzie vs. Rhinehart, this is no small task, McKenzie makes a bunch of deer targets, is it the big one at 40 yards of a small one at 32 yards, looks similar if you don't know them. Where is the 12 ring on that black hog that they have hidden under dark pine trees at 40 yards. Uphill/downhill, do you know how to adjust yardage, or are you going to use a rangefinder? I recommend you shoot all the local 3D's for a year first unless you just have money to burn on gas and hotels and food in these god forsaken places LOL

·
Registered
8,542 Posts
I agree with the getting your feet wet at a local fun shoot. Honestly, they are way more fun and don't take hours and hours to get through. Tournament 3d is a slooooow game that takes forever to do 30 targets. I quit because I was always ready to walk off the course after target 15...lol. I can't take the 3.5 hrs for 30 targets. That's on days with little to no delay target to target.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts