Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, if I was looking for a good quality takedown recurve for hunting in the $400-$500 price range brand new, what would you guys recommend? I want to hear about the brand new bows because I am located in Ontario, Canada and it may be hard to get a used custom bow shipped up here.

I am looking for a 50# at 28" recurve that is about 60" to 62" in length. I will be using this to practice with for a few years with the hopes of hunting deer in the future.

I am open to either a wood or aluminum/carbon riser at the moment and want to hear the plus and negatives of each. I have looked at bows like the martin Diablo TD and the entire Samick line plus maybe the option of the Trad Tech 19" Pinnacle II riser with Glass and Wood ILF limbs. Are there any other options from PSE or some other big manufactures for production take downs?

I would also like to explore the option of cheap to midrange priced custom bow brand new. I read a bit about the Quinn Stallion TD recurve, who is this manufacturer and where do you get them, how much? Then theres the Omega Delta takedown recurve from Omega bows, what are they like? Please feel free to tell me about other custom or semi custom production take downs recurves that can be bought new online for $400 to $500. Thanks and merry Christmas in advance.

·
Enhanced Mutant
6,112 Posts
To me you are close to the price of something along the lines of a Hoyt Dorado, real close and they are a great bow. You are also real close on the price of a tradtech titan which is a real nice ILF build. If you are looking for the wood look and feel tradtech has two wood ILF builds also the apex and pinnacle II which are both in your price range and great bows. both of those bows can adapt up to better limbs and such as you grow in the sport. Most every bow I have listed here is either an ILF or can have ILF limbs adapted to it in case of the dorado. You can find all of them at lancaster archery and I don't think you would be getting hurt with any of them.

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
A Dryad Epic and TT Black Max limbs would fit that budget and be a very fine rig. Would look something like this:

I don't have any limbs that heavy but I may sell the riser if your interested.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I'd second that about the Dorado, sounds right up your street.

I know what you mean about getting hold of stuff in Canada, its probably the number one most frustrating thing since we moved here!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought a Samick Nighthawk a couple months ago. Not a lot of time with it yet, but it shoots where I aim, fairly smooth and looks great, especially for the price. What more could I want? Bought it from Lancaster, great service!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
A Hoyt Excel with short WW/SF Axiom+ limbs would make a 62" bow. This would cost around $200 riser + $80 limbs + $20 plunger + $20 wire rest = $320. With WW/SF Premium Carbon limbs would cost around $440.

I have a 66" Excel with WW/SF Premium Carbon limbs (longs at 34# and the bottom limb is slightly twisted on this Excel riser) that pulls 41# at 30" that is a great shooter.

Not sure of your draw length and if the short limb length would work for you.

ec34ucCLL.jpg

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Oh yea...the 21" Excel riser pictured has one grip/handle screw that appears to be "fused" to the riser (electrolysis between the riser and screw?). One screw comes out as expected, while the other is stuck to the point of needing a socket wrench and allen tipped socket to MAYBE get it loose. I still plan on making a Hickory handle/grip that has a wider throat and is let in more so it sits froward more towards the back side of the bow.

When I was working in the "Marine Industry" any Stainless Steel part that was attached to an alloy part got a layer of black electrical tape and the screw was given a liberal application of Silicon Seal prior to install. I need to remember to remove all screws from my alloy risers and give them some similiar treatment.

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
IMHO the best value in a production bow can be found at Trad Tech in an ILF rig

I just set a buddy up with a Titan II riser and some BM limbs for a tad higher but not much more than your target price

That bow shoots as well as customs In my rack that double the price

If you just buy an ILF riser you can buy Used ILF limbs to you find something that you really like

·
Registered
138 Posts
IMHO the best value in a production bow can be found at Trad Tech in an ILF rig
A brand new Pinn II and a set of Black Max carbons will set you back right at $500. If you try and decide you don't like the riser, limbs or both, you can get most of your money back right here on the classifieds.

·
Registered
122 Posts
You cannot get a better bow than Mike Palmer's lowest priced takedown recurve... a little higher than your price range...but worth it.

He makes one of the best bows in the country and is now located in Colorado.

He only recently began offering the less expensive models.

http://www.palmerbows.com/PalmerBody.htm

RodB

·
Registered
794 Posts
I'd find a Warf with a well-done conversion and add some mid-range limbs. You'd have a great bow and money for a whole shooting kit for less than your target.....

·
Registered
12,058 Posts
Hunting in Ontario with a metal riser...not for me, thank you. I know a wood grip gives a bit of insulation but that metal riser is still a big heat sink if you are the type that likes to hold on to your bow when hunting. I had several metal riser compounds with wood grips and had to hang them, couldn't hold them in my hand in cold weather (I'll admit they were better than no wood grip on a metal riser...but not much). Just mentioning it, I'm not anti-metal except for the cold factor.

There are lots of good metal riser ILF bows, but the Trad Tech Pinnacle ll is a nice wood riser ILF bow if your taste swings that way. Good value and Lancaster carries them.

In your price range, with you already eliminating the used custom option, I would go ILF without doubt.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Sooo…got a budget…and a goal…“hopes of deer hunting”…but familiarity/experience with the subject (traditional equipment) appears to be absent, in the information provided…in which case all I wanted to offer was hopes that your budget allows for arrows, target, etc. If all you have to spend is the $4-500 then I’d want to keep the bow around $100 or so below the budget mark (…which could be an optimistic estimate…kinda depends on how your choice of bow, at your specs suits, you). Anyhow…Hope everything works out for the best…keep it fun. Enjoy, Rick.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
There are a lot of great options out there, many of which have been mentioned on this thread. As far as hunting with metal risers in the cold, wear a glove. It works for me and my Titan riser, even in sub-zero weather.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Why don't you just go to Shooters Choice in Waterloo? the best bow shop in Canada is in your home town and carries tradtech hoyt bear samic Navajo horne etc., and usually a good selection of used bows. Check em out online.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
From where you live you should either go to the bow shop or open a mailing address in Lewiston and get US stuff delivered there.
My advice, go for a good riser and cheaper limbs.

·
bill
458 Posts
Have you ever shot before? I started 3 years ago with 50 lbs. at the advice of a compound friend and Cabela's. BAD, let me repeat, BAD idea! Developed a shoulder impingement in 4 days and had to put it down. Got on here and got great advice and started over with ILF set up @ 26lbs. Now I shoot my ILF rig with #40 limbs and a #35 longbow for tournaments and am getting a #45 longbow built to hunt with. Allows you to develop these new muscle groups without injury and more importantly better form. It is something I wish I had known first!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts