Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't buy new so I have purchased Mathews, in part, because they continue parts supply for all of their past models. Where do the other mfgs fall with regard to parts availability on past models?

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
Agree with Dale. None of em. Don't trust even Mathews.

The ugly, unglamorous truth is: the average lifespan, production and support-wise, of all compound bows is about 2 years, maybe 3 in exceptional cases like some of the Hoyt target bows of the past. After that, the manufacturers start to get amnesia about your bow, and if they even do keep making parts, the prices and wait times for them really skyrocket. Instead, they start trying to get you to replace it with their new one. At that point, you're forced onto the used market, and you know what that means.... good luck in your endeavors....

Never, ever, trust a manufacturer to support your bow after that period of time (even wild claims of forever like Mathews). This has been a constant for all manufacturers ever since the compound bow was invented and put on the market.

What I've done in the past with bows that I like and plan to keep longer than that average 2 years, is buy spare consumable parts so I can replace worn out components (at least once) with new ones should the need arise.

I try not to let that go longer than about a year, but at 2 years, I either stock up on bearings/cams, custom screws, etc. or I decide to let it go until something breaks or wears out that kills the bow altogether.

lee.

·
Registered
29,178 Posts
I've shot some and don't care for Mathews bows, but this is definitely one aspect where they are superior with no contestation. However there are many brand specific FB groups where you cross paths with dealers who might have parts in stock for older models. No guarantee of course, but it isn't a one and done process for all other bows.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Agree with Dale. None of em. Don't trust even Mathews.

The ugly, unglamorous truth is: the average lifespan, production and support-wise, of all compound bows is about 2 years, maybe 3 in exceptional cases like some of the Hoyt target bows of the past. After that, the manufacturers start to get amnesia about your bow, and if they even do keep making parts, the prices and wait times for them really skyrocket. Instead, they start trying to get you to replace it with their new one. At that point, you're forced onto the used market, and you know what that means.... good luck in your endeavors....

Never, ever, trust a manufacturer to support your bow after that period of time (even wild claims of forever like Mathews). This has been a constant for all manufacturers ever since the compound bow was invented and put on the market.

What I've done in the past with bows that I like and plan to keep longer than that average 2 years, is buy spare consumable parts so I can replace worn out components (at least once) with new ones should the need arise.

I try not to let that go longer than about a year, but at 2 years, I either stock up on bearings/cams, custom screws, etc. or I decide to let it go until something breaks or wears out that kills the bow altogether.

lee.
Speaking from experience not speculation Mathews recently replaced a set of conquest 3 limbs for me with no hassle. That bow is nearly 20 years old.

·
Registered
258 Posts
In 2020 Mathews replaced the limbs on my old Legacy from the early 2000s. 16 or 18 years and free replacement.

This week, my bow tech noticed the damaged limb on my VXR from a year old misfire of a Stan Xtinction 2 when the bow sailed forward and hit concrete. That spot was starting to creak on draw. Mathews replaced no questions asked and I got new matching limbs (same color) in less than a week.

So, I’m very happy with Mathews customer service.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I can tell you Hoyt's customer service is the worst I have ever seen. Thats also how they lost me as a customer. Mathews got me parts for 10 year old bows in a matter of days. And I was a Hoyt fan. I have no experience with others, but was impressed with Mathews.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I don't buy new so I have purchased Mathews, in part, because they continue parts supply for all of their past models. Where do the other mfgs fall with regard to parts availability on past models?
I needed the rubber part of the string stopper on my Diamond bow and couldnt find one anywhere online that worked so I contacted Bowtech about it and they sent me a replacement one free. The bow in like a 2009 model so Diamond Bowtech takes care of people for sure.

·
Registered
Bear moment 65#, Elite Impulse 31 81.5#, Xpedition Xscape 80.5#, Hoyt turbo hawk rkt cams 75.5#
2,006 Posts
So what I'm reading here, is maybe Matthews high resale value has a reason? And maybe everybody that buys it Matthews isn't just doing it because they're sheep, maybe they're doing it because Matthew's is a better company to deal with? I don't know just kind of speculating 🤔🤔
They are still overpriced used by a lot. Parts aren't covered under warranty when used , but they deserve props for any part for any bow they've produced.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
I have not really owned a lot of bows. Even though I have been into archery since I was a kid. I dont trade bows every few years and tend to keep them for a long time and some I still have from the 80's. For me 10 years is a lifetime warranty on a mechanical devise like a bow. I dont expect a company to "keep" parts available after that point. Its great if they can and will. I will also add I have never had to test a warranty and like I said I keep bows a long time. I purchased my first Mathews this year and I hope to not have to use the warranty on it. But from what I have gleaned from this forum is if I do Mathews will stand behind it. I have no preference when it comes to "brand" other than what I can buy locally. Warranty length isn't the biggest factor in what bow I choose. I think as long as you stay with well established brands the warranty will be a non-issue. EDIT: I just want to add that your local dealer plays a huge role in getting a warranty taken care of or not.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Mathews. Have seen multiple instances of them making things right for some friends of mine & not one instance where they didn't come through. Also have seen good things from Elite. Don't have any experience in this area with other companies, just these two.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
They are still overpriced used by a lot. Parts aren't covered under warranty when used , but they deserve props for any part for any bow they've produced.
I don't think anything can be overpriced used. If it's overpriced it won't sell, especially when there's plenty of other options available and in the case of bows there are definitely plenty of options available. But Matthews bows tend to sell used, even at higher prices than everybody else, so they are priced at a fair market value

·
Registered
54 Posts
+1 Hoyt customer service is terrible.

They don't give a crap about their customers, only their resellers.

Asking for any type of technical assistance will lead you to contacting your local dealer....

I'd only go with Hoyt if you live in close proximity to a well known Hoyt dealer that you have a good relationship with.

RX3 Ultra: Limb cracked
RX4 Ultra: Limb cracked
RX7 Ultra: draw cycle click, preventative measure to get me through hunting season wax the modules. Luckily my local dealer said they'll get the bow sent back to Hoyt after the hunting season.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts