Archery Talk Forum banner

BEST Arrow Setup

918 12
Hey all, New to bow hunting, and wondering what you might recommend for a good elk hunt arrow. Pulling 62# with a DL of 32". Been shooting target arrows that are 32" long. Im leaning towards fixed broadheads but have no clue on the best length, weight, company etc. One thing i do know is that i need a 300 spine.

Thanks and any advice helps
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· The Impartial Archer
24,826 Posts
Hey all, New to bow hunting, and wondering what you might recommend for a good elk hunt arrow. Pulling 62# with a DL of 32".
Thanks and any advice helps
Well many people will miss this point but with a 32 inch DL and shooting 62 pounds you can literally shoot any weight you want. From about the lightest you can build to as heavy as you want. You and I both shoot 62 pounds but you get 45 extra FPS just because you are shooting a 32 inch DL.

Granted you might not really need a 32 but that's another story..... ;) So you have WAY more power to get the job done than most people because the extra DL.........combine that with 62 pounds and a modern bow you can pick the arrow weight you want.....even for elk........that's a plus of a long draw.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well many people will miss this point but with a 32 inch DL and shooting 62 pounds you can literally shoot any weight you want. From about the lightest you can build to as heavy as you want. You and I both shoot 62 pounds but you get 45 extra FPS just because you are shooting a 32 inch DL.

Granted you might not really need a 32 but that's another story..... ;) So you have WAY more power to get the job done than most people because the extra DL.........combine that with 62 pounds and a modern bow you can pick the arrow weight you want.....even for elk........that's a plus of a long draw.
what would be the pro and con of keeping the arrow @ 32" or coming down to maybe 30". minimum length would probably be that where the broadhead does not bump the rest right? Ive heart that longer arrows are more forgiving but decrease the kinetic energy transferred, whats your take on this.

· Registered
1,143 Posts
I would decide on a few different arrows that interest you based on research and go to work. South Shore Archery sells individual shafts or finished arrows which helped me trremendously. I started testing with a longer arrow and cut as needed to achieve the weight I was looking for and the spine that worked for my rig. The insert, head, vane, and nock weights will all play a role as well. If you do it right, an investment of time and money is required.
My DL is 31.5" and I shoot a 29" arrow. I prefer my fixed blade broadhead to sit just in front of my rest over the shelf. As far as a broadhead, I will always recommend VPA for their materials, ease of prep/sharpening and durability.

· Premium Member
8,852 Posts
Well many people will miss this point but with a 32 inch DL and shooting 62 pounds you can literally shoot any weight you want.
Pretty much the case. The OP might want to start with a couple Easton 6.5's and/or GTXT or Victory 300's in a standard diameter. Install inserts compatible with weight inserts for some extra flexibility. Feathers or vanes, depending on your favorites. You don't need a huge cut diameter, and even the 1" cut Slick Standards will work fine. Shot placement is everything, followed close by complete penetration. The .204 ID shafts are a practical option for a bit more per $$$, but using smaller cut BH's, mechanical or fixed, I rarely fail to get a complete pass thru, (or even find the arrow).

Good luck chasing the elk :)

· Registered
5,125 Posts
I'd shoot for a durable 450-500 grain arrow (Victory Vforce, VF TKO, RIP TKO, Easton 6.5 match grade, Easton Axis, Sirius Vulcan) and a sharp, good flying broadhead like a QAD Exodus, Tooth of the Arrow solid 1", Magnus Black Hornet, or Grim Reaper Micro Hades.

Reactions: BigXX78

· Registered
19 Posts
I’ve had great success with my black Eagle deep impacts. They hold up well when you hit hard objects and it’s super easy to replace outserts when they bend. They also fly really well for longer distances and group very well. I’ve only broken a few but have lost way more than that. I would recommend buying the best arrows that fit your budget tho. That’s where a huge consistency factor comes in. Cheap arrows don’t last as long are shoot as consistent as the more expensive ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
11,913 Posts
Spine depends on shaft cut length (not your draw length) point+ insert weight plus bow IBO and how much weight on the rear of the arrow. Go to victoryarchery.com/arrow guide/open spine selector.

· Registered
4,381 Posts
Victory Vap ss with a Simmons Landshark 135 grain broadhead , I think the .300 spine with the 50 grain outsert and 135 grain landshark broadhead would be about right .

Heck you're going to spend the money to go elk hunting you just as well shoot a 30 dollar arrow at em....

Your approx. arrow weight is: 519.9 grains.
Your arrow FOC is: 13.8%.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Victory Vap ss with a Simmons Landshark 135 grain broadhead , I think the .300 spine with the 50 grain outsert and 135 grain landshark broadhead would be about right .

Heck you're going to spend the money to go elk hunting you just as well shoot a 30 dollar arrow at em....

Your approx. arrow weight is: 519.9 grains.
Your arrow FOC is: 13.8%.
haahaah not wrong, luckily I already live in elk country with herds about 45 minute drive away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.