Archery Talk Forum banner

Best Arrows

2296 16
I just bought a Hoyt Maxxis 31 27.5" DL 50-60 DW. I currently am shooting CX Maxima 350's but had been considering going to 250's, what are you guys opinions on what arrow setup to go with? I shoot 6-8 3D shoots a summer in Michigan and hunt in the fall so I would like to use the arrows for both things. I know everyone on here has opinions so lets hear them....and please explain a little why you suggest a certain arrow, looking for actual help not just a poll. Thanks a bunch.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
5,756 Posts
I would go with the 250's for the lower spine. Those 350's might be to stiff for your DL and poundage.

· Best in the World
3,866 Posts
If you stick with the maxima's I'd say the 250 spine would be correct

Another option for you would be try Harvest Time Archery HT-2 in a .400 spine - great all around arrow and is what I use (.350spine for my setup though) for my once a week winter 3D league, 3-4 per summer benefit shoots, and hunting - specs are very similair to the maxima and spine consistency on my set is top notch

http://www.harvesttimearchery.com/hta-product/

· Registered
5,756 Posts
I like them all but the Maxima's and Mayham's are great. I use the Maxima Hunter 250's but will be going to the Mayham's with my Maxxis. But if money is no problem try the Blue Streak's.

· Premium Member
10,938 Posts
I just bought a Hoyt Maxxis 31 27.5" DL 50-60 DW. I currently am shooting CX Maxima 350's but had been considering going to 250's, what are you guys opinions on what arrow setup to go with? I shoot 6-8 3D shoots a summer in Michigan and hunt in the fall so I would like to use the arrows for both things. I know everyone on here has opinions so lets hear them....and please explain a little why you suggest a certain arrow, looking for actual help not just a poll. Thanks a bunch.
Before recommending a proper spine you need to list the draw weight you'll be shooting. Please be more specific. There's a ton of difference between 50# and 60#.

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am not sure what the "exact" DW will be because I am waiting by the door like a dog for it to arrive in the mail today, but I am assuming I will have it cranked all the way down, so probably 60# +/- 1#?

· Premium Member
10,938 Posts
I am not sure what the "exact" DW will be because I am waiting by the door like a dog for it to arrive in the mail today, but I am assuming I will have it cranked all the way down, so probably 60# +/- 1#?
OK, but you obviously ordered a bow with an adjustment range. I'll guess 50-60# based on your original post. Still, before anyone can intelligently suggest a proper arrow spine we need to know at just what draw eight you intend to shoot the bow. If you ordered a 50-60 it will almost certainly come out of the box with the limbs bottomed and might go as high as 65#. And somehwere alng the way you'll most likely be adjusting the draw weight to your liking. After this you can have a better idea of the proper spine you need to be shooting. People can recommend all the brand and model arrows they like, but you still need the spine rating to make an intelligent choice.

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Holy crap this is out of hand...all I wanted was some recommendations/opinions on good all around arrows for shooting some 3D and hunting. I assume the bow will be between 59-62# maxed out and I don't plan on shooting in the Olympics so I don't need a scientific analysis of my setup for people to give me their opinions on what to use. Please don't over-think this....

· Registered
1,024 Posts
hey man everyone is just trying to help you as much as possible! That's why they are asking so many questions..you asked for help, and people on this thread go the extra mile to help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.