Archery Talk Forum banner

Best backpack for self filming hunts?

376 7
Hey guys,

Checking in to see what backpack would be best for all the equipment needed for self filming hunts? I tried our my Scent Lok pack this past season and it just is not enough room. I wanted to know what your guys thoughts were?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2,817 Posts
Maybe the Sitka Cargo Box or Tool Bucket? You can get a lot of stuff in there since it's a large container-style pack for cameras, tripods, etc.

I don't film hunts but I use the Tool Bucket and throw everything in there. Binos, rangefinder, releases, tools, clothing, arrow tube, you name it... fits a ton of stuff imo

Reactions: Kells0569

· Registered
28 Posts
Maybe the Sitka Cargo Box or Tool Bucket? You can get a lot of stuff in there since it's a large container-style pack for cameras, tripods, etc.

I don't film hunts but I use the Tool Bucket and throw everything in there. Binos, rangefinder, releases, tools, clothing, arrow tube, you name it... fits a ton of stuff imo
Second the tool bucket. It holds a ton.

· Registered
952 Posts
So, you plan to pack the meat out in addition to the camera, and camera support gear?

If so, a load-shelf system is great. The KUIU 3600/6000 is 30% off today. It has two full side pockets, a deck lid you can get to without unclipping the load straps, and full zips so you do not have to dig contents out of the very bottom by unpacking everything. Kifaru is robust and a bit heavier, but you need to be careful in the bag choice if you don't want to Toploader and have to dig your stuff out to get to stuff on the bottom..

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light

Packed a lot of Elk out with the 3600; it is very comfortable with most of the weight on your hips when adjusted correctly. (Mule) in the load shelves in the photo.

You can see that even with the load shelves holding quarters, you can get into side pockets or the main compartment. All 3600 bags in the photo. If I was packing in for a lot of days, I'd pop on the larger bag. The 3600 is enough for a weekend or small and light enough to use as a day pack. I usually keep a minimum of a large orange trash bag, game bags/kill kit, IFAK w water pills, headlamp, lighter, SAT, puffies and an E-bivy; with a bit of water and food, Carbon Z-poles, so I don't want anything too small.

I've had SG, EXO, KUIU and Kifaru. It's very hard to go wrong with any of them "if" you adjust them correctly, pick the correct bag for your use. Nothing is a free lunch so you pick what you want most. The lighter base weight packs are SG and KUIU with the most robust material and but heavier with the Kifaru.

Edited to add: Some packs like the Sitka Cargo Box are EXTREMELY heavy (nearly 8 pounds for only 2000 ci) for what they offer and their load shelf really isn't really going to carry what the mentioned packs will.

With a good load shelf, you need a lot of expandability that I don't think packs like the sitkas offer. On the pack on the right, you can see all the adjustments left on the pack to add another Elk quarter. It a large hind and BS& Tenders
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

Below is from another hunt and my son is carried an Elk hind and two shoulders!
Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Luggage and bags Bag

· Registered
28 Posts
So, you plan to pack the meat out in addition to the camera, and camera support gear?

If so, a load-shelf system is great. The KUIU 3600/6000 is 30% off today. It has two full side pockets, a deck lid you can get to without unclipping the load straps, and full zips so you do not have to dig contents out of the very bottom by unpacking everything. Kifaru is robust and a bit heavier, but you need to be careful in the bag choice if you don't want to Toploader and have to dig your stuff out to get to stuff on the bottom..

View attachment 7746696

Packed a lot of Elk out with the 3600; sit very comfortably on your hips when adjusted correctly. (Mule) in the load shelves in the photo. You can see that even with the load shelves holding quarters, you can get into side pockets or the main compartment.

I've had SG, EXO, KUIU and Kifaru. It's very hard to go wrong with any of them "if" you adjust them correctly, pick the correct bag for your use. Nothing is a free lunch so you pick what you want most. The lighter base weight packs are SG and KUIU with the most robust material and but heavier with the Kifaru.
Awesome picture!

· Pay It Forward
27,093 Posts
The Asio pack is insane....not much (outside of packing meat) it can't do well, converts to shoulder back and is waterproof.....good luck getting one...they don't last when they're in stock and never in the classifieds or sale sites like camofire....which reminds me...sing-up for a free camofire account and register for the daily shooter emails...they have packs on their often and just ran through a fairly decent special on most of the mystery ranch packs...a pop-up might do the job nicely for you depending on what you're hauling around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts