Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you with 27" draw lengths. What's the best bow in regards to highest KE??? What poundage are you shooting and arrow setup to attain it? I'd be interested in achieving 100 ft lbs of KE but with a 27" draw I think that would be about impossible?????

·
Banned
7,286 Posts
Not impossible, but, you will be pulling some hella weight when you draw back.

I am 27" and am happy to hit 275 fps.

Any of the "speed" bows will be best...I got a Darton Pro3000 up to 305 fps once, but, that was at 75# and a really light arrow.

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm currently shooting a PSE Primos from 05. Shooting 259 ft/second I'm getting 55 ft lbs of KE at 70 lbs. I love the bow but am not happy with the KE for anything larger than whitetails. I know it will kill bigger animals.....but that's not the point.

·
Registered
866 Posts
25 ft. lbs. Small Game
25-41 ft. lbs. Medium Game (deer, antelope, etc.)
42-65 ft. lbs. Large Game (elk, black bear, wild boar, etc.)
65 ft. lbs. Toughest Game (Cape Buffalo, Grizzly, etc.)

I would say you're 55 ft. lbs. enough. I dont let KE bother me, but it does bother alot of people. I look at it this way " If fred bear could kill a brown bear with a recurve bow, I can kill just about any north american animal with my compound with the proper shot placement". and my KE is 58 ft. lbs.

·
Banned
7,286 Posts
55# of KE is plenty!

True, more is better, but, you have plenty enough! :nod:

·
Registered
6,244 Posts
Simple solution BP, 85# X-Force with about a 750gr arrow:wink:

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I also have a 27 " draw and 55 and 57 K.E. (2 bows). I've tinkered for years and my only advice if you want higher K.E. is to raise the poundage or get one of those new cams that have a 330+fps IMO speed...

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Simple solution BP, 85# X-Force with about a 750gr arrow:wink:
Is the X-Force available with greater than 80# limbs???? Can you squeeze 85#'s out of the 80# limbs?

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Hoyt Vulcan - 27.5"draw - 64lbs. - 356 grain arrow - 293fps.

·
Banned
7,286 Posts
Two things it could be...

Really big game, like elk or moose.

Or

Thick skinned liberals! :eek:

Man, I hope it is the former and not the latter! :wink:

i believe 80 is the max but they may go 2-4 pounds over when maxed.....out of curiousity why are you wanting so much KE?

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Two things it could be...

Really big game, like elk or moose.

Or

Thick skinned liberals! :eek:

Man, I hope it is the former and not the latter! :wink:

Maybe bigger! Will be a few years in the planning.....depends how business goes.....all I can say is DANG you JedK!:wink:

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do I smell African game cookin'?
I've always said I didn't have much interest in hunting Africa cuz you can't bring back the meat. I don't know why....the big 5 has peaked my interest for some reason. Once I looked at the price of Africa vs. what you can easily spend on smaller game here in a year....it's a no brainer. A few hunts a year and a guy can easily spend $10k here in the states. That'll get you a heck of a hunt in Africa.....and if you skip the hunts here for a few years.....$30k would make for an AWESOME safari and more animals taken in a couple weeks than you'd take here in a year anyway. Biggest problem will be work.....if it all works out....I think I'm shooting for it.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Sounds like you are contemplating Cape Buffalo. You will need to up your poundage. I know plenty of guys up here in AK that shoot heavy (which I think of as greater than 70#). Most of the time you won't need it or can't do it. I was in S Africa last year and was shooting about 65#. It was more than enough for the bigger animals like kudu and waterbuck. (Pass Throughs)

I will guarantee it works on American Bison, caribou and Moose.

I would wait and buy one used before you go and start working up the poundage you have.

My .02.

AKMATT

·
fall at last
3,260 Posts
27" DXT at 68.6 #: 345 grain arrow at 290 fps and a 430 grain arrow at 260 fps; both give about 65 ft-lbs of KE.

Not sure I want to hunt an animal with a bow that I have to have 100 ft-lbs to take it down :eek:

·
Registered
632 Posts
You can get 85# out of the Xforce with 80# Limbs on it. If you shoot a 27" draw at 70 pounds, with a 500grn arrow you should be around 80# KE.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Been said before but the X-Force is the way to go if you're looking for KE and they are the easiest of the speed bows to pull (friendlier drawforce curve). I'll have about 95-96 lbs of K.E. this year out of my X-Force... 30" 70 lbs and 417gr. ACC 3-60 coming out of the bow between 320-330 FPS.

You can get a custom from a Proshop with 80-90 lbs limbs and America's Best Bow strings on it if need be... gonna cost ya a bit though. I personall don't think you'll need that much weight, a 70-80 would do the job just fine.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts