Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two kids, one 6 (boy) the other 8 (girl) and they have two of the Bear First Bow fiberglass bows that they shoot in the back yard at a target with field points. I think that they are probably too small, and not very accurate or useful at training them. They are super cheap sets...

I also don't know if they will use them long term though I'm trying to get my daughter to shoot enough to be able to hunt.

So, what bow would you get them? Something like a recurve that is well made that they can learn to shoot, or one of the myriad of kids bows out there? I don't want to buy a full on compound set up yet, as I don't know if they will stick with it, and I want something with no maintenance for now.

·
Registered
572 Posts
The genesis bow line from Mathews is a great option for them. They have a couple diffrent models including a full size one that anyone including adults can shoot or a Mini model that runs up to about 28 inches. They are a compound design with no draw stop or let off so essentially anyone can shoot them and have a ball. They come in a wide variety of colors and are available as a kit that comes with arrows and everything. That's how I got my kids started and thats the bow we use at church in our Centershot program.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The genesis bow line from Mathews is a great option for them. They have a couple diffrent models including a full size one that anyone including adults can shoot or a Mini model that runs up to about 28 inches. They are a compound design with no draw stop or let off so essentially anyone can shoot them and have a ball. They come in a wide variety of colors and are available as a kit that comes with arrows and everything. That's how I got my kids started and thats the bow we use at church in our Centershot program.
Thanks. Any pro or cons to using a traditional vs. a compound bow to start out?

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Diamond Infinate Edge can't be beat!
This! It can be set up to fit both of them or it also has a setting like the genesis to fit anyone. This bow can stay with one or both indefinitely and you might be able to shoot it as well.

·
Registered
572 Posts
That's jus personal preference in my opinion. We tried the lil traditional bows for a while and when we got the compounds the kids really seemed to take interest and the group as a whole wanted more involved.from a money standpoint traditional may be a lol cheaper to start em off .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts