Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Spend half of that and get a Chill X. Spend a little time tuning and it'll be just as good as anything. Mine is at 29", 73lbs and is shooting at 440gr arrow at 287. Hard to beat! Then with the rest go buy some tree stands or save for a hunting trip.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Hey everyone.. So i have enjoyed this hobby and am wondering for a budget of 1k for a bare bow.. what is the absolute best option and why?

Looking for dual cam compound bow.
Well you are obviously not looking for the best bow since you are already putting restrictions on the configuration so you must have some preconception of what the answer is. How about if you tell us what you have discovered to be the best bow so we can congratulate you. I'm sure we all will have our opinions and I would guess that the majority would say the bow they are shooting...why else would they buy it? I am also sure for a lot of AT'rs, the best bow definition will be changing in a short couple of months.

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,550 Posts
Depends on many things.... First what game are you looking to play? What is your draw length and expected draw range? What bows have you used in the past and which was your favorite? Which bows were you not fond of? Do have a brand preference? New or used? What kind of speed are you looking for or does it matter? Do you prefer 36" or 40" a-to-a bows?

For a new bow at or under $1,000 you might consider the PSE Supra EXT. There are many excellent used bows that can be had for $1000. Hoyt is the most popular pure target bow for punching paper.

The bow that is perfect for a 25" draw, 45 lbs and punching paper indoors might not be perfect for 3d with a 30" draw and 65 lbs.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Well you are obviously not looking for the best bow since you are already putting restrictions on the configuration so you must have some preconception of what the answer is. How about if you tell us what you have discovered to be the best bow so we can congratulate you. I'm sure we all will have our opinions and I would guess that the majority would say the bow they are shooting...why else would they buy it? I am also sure for a lot of AT'rs, the best bow definition will be changing in a short couple of months.
What a troll get put of here with your negativity. There is only a little truth in the ignoranus' post. It's pretty subjective what you are asking. I really do not believe the is a smoother faster harder hitting and forgiving bow as the halon 32's. I have an issue with buying and sell as I know a lot of my fellow AT folks do but it's hard to bat against the halon 32. My preference is th 5" brace

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
What a troll get put of here with your negativity. There is only a little truth in the ignoranus' post. It's pretty subjective what you are asking. I really do not believe the is a smoother faster harder hitting and forgiving bow as the halon 32's. I have an issue with buying and sell as I know a lot of my fellow AT folks do but it's hard to bat against the halon 32. My preference is th 5" brace

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9FnO3igOkOk

I do like the way you spell “ignoranus” though, brings a special meaning to the word. I’ll have to remember that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the bow holder!

Mathews 32:7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,801 Posts
As you can see there are different opinions as to what is the best bow, what you are actually wanting is the best bow for you. As Kastigall stated, what is the intended purpose/use? All the bow companies make a bow for under $1,000 bare. Your draw length also becomes important in this decision because some bows perform better with different size cams, or even the draw length differences on the same cam.
I have been at this for way over 50 years and here's my advice:
Purchase a good bow press (they don't depreciate much)
Purchase/make a draw board.
Purchase a flag ship used bow a few years old for @ $500 (bows depreciate worse than cars)
Now you can learn how to work on your own bow, if you decide the bow you picked is not what you want, you can sell it for what you paid for it and buy another one and set it up on your equipment and have fun setting it up!
Not knowing anything about your draw length or what you intend to use it for, I would look for a 34-35" ATA with a 7" brace camo maybe if you intend to hunt with an IBO speed of @330 fps. You will be able to hunt, shoot 3D, or target shoot with this bow and will be easy to resell. My favorites are a 2013 Hoyt Matrix, Hoyt Carbon Spyder 34 w/Z5 cams, Elite E 35, or a Mathews or PSE with a 34-35 ATA. I really like my wife's Expedition too! And Primes are vert accurate. Just be sure of your draw length and pounds before you buy. Good luck!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Ok its simple on A-T you can buy a Mathews conquest 4 for $300-400 dollar range and they haven't made a bow yet that will out shoot it. Think about it they have made this bow for 10+ years.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts