Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the best hunting bow out there for the money. i would rather not pay any more than $650 and anything less would be awsome. thanks

·
Registered
51,117 Posts
Very simple answer the one that works for you. There are many fine bows on the market today. Shoot as many as you can get your hands on before you decide. Peoples opinions are just that opinions but they are not the ones that are going to shoot it you are and your opinion is the only one that matters.:wink:

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
No clear answer on what the best bow is, as picking one is a personal preferance. I picked the 82nd airborne from Bowtech, but it is not what many others would pick. You could start by looking at the Diamond, by Bowtech, Black Ice.....the Bear Truth 2.......and some used bows such as the Hoyt Vectrix, Bowtech Allegiance, Mathews Switchback etc.... Shoot a bunch, new and used in your price range and you will figure things out. Many good bows to be had.....Martin is another one to look at.

·
Registered
683 Posts
With that limit of money, you hold yourself back a bit. The best bow that I know of for that amount of money is the Tomkat by Bowtech which is a package bow. $600 at your local dealer. Other than that, you are looking at about $600 for a good bow, but accessories for that quality of a bow will be way higher. I would recommend a package like the Tomkat or even a Diamond package bow.

·
Registered
14,295 Posts
what is the best hunting bow out there for the money. i would rather not pay any more than $650 and anything less would be awsome. thanks

If you're spending that much lettuce, you might as well go out and get an Elite.

If not, that Martin Firecat for 5 bills would leave you $150 for decorations. For $650, you could put together one mean killing machine.

·
Registered
19,352 Posts
alot of high quality used stuff for sale right here on AT.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Go to your local shops. Shoot what they have on the shelf, start looking at the features that were common to all the bows you like.
Narrow down your search to a few models.
Listen to what the local guys have to say. (You will find timeless wisdom in many cases and unbelievable stupidity in others.)

Post up what they are telling you here. It will either be confirmed or shot down. (probably both, but the truth somehow always shines through.)

Armed with your new info, confidently go and make your purchase.

Explain to your wife that the bow itself was 650

The bad part :

The sight was $150
The Quiver was $100
The stabilizer was $60
The arrows were $120
The broadheads were $40

But now you feel accepted by the AT community, and that will last until a new model comes out.

·
Gold Supporting Archer
9,990 Posts
opinions vary

all opinions will vary. so i am assuming you are asking our own individual opinions right ???

well then here are a couple choices i would "opine" on...
pse x-force6
bowtech 82nd airborne
mathews switchback
darton 3000
bowtech guardian
elite gto
mathews legacy (started the mathews roller guide/string suppresor craze)

any one of them and you'd be good to go in my own book....but you need to shoot them to see what you like. i have not lifted too many bows over the years and didn't thin i could enjoy shooting them at all

·
Registered
2007 BEAR INSTINCT
5,740 Posts
You can get a new bear truth 2 for $549.00
if you need a phone number for the deal on the truth 2 just pm me. There out of texas, very good to deal with.

or

possibly the mathews s2 bow

·
Registered
218 Posts
:RockOn::RockOn:nobody mentioned Mission or Reflex ? Great bows for the money.

·
Registered
357 Posts
you can get the new g5 bow or a ross cardiac brand new for about 650

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Start looking around the classifieds here, there are plenty of top of the line bows at some darn good prices to be had. You can easily save yourself over $300 by buying a used bow on pretty much any of the big name companies.

As for which one.... thats up to you. The only person that knows the answer to that one is you. I like Hoyts but thats me, you may like Mathews better but no matter what bow you go with you'll be ending up with a quality bow. Its pretty darn tough now adays to buy a newer bow and end up with a bad one. They are all good. Infact if the wife would allow it I'd take one of each!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Martin Firecat for a dual cam or a Martin Moab or Bengal for a single. I would put these in the best bang for the buck.

as far as performance for your dollar, I doubt you can beat the Martin machines. I know the Moab and Bengal with full kits should be under or around $500. Or bare bows for about $370 (Moab) or $340 (Bengal). That leaves you a bunch of room to buy arrows, points, case, release, etc... that you are going to need.
Anyone who says that Martin isn't a great company is full of it. When I discovered a cracked limb last season I didn't even miss a single day of hunting, they overnighted the parts out and I was hunting again the next afternoon, they just asked me to pay half the shipping cost to overnight, but so what! Its nice to have a great pro shop. No hassles, no delays, and the limbs were in stock. How much more can you ask for from a company.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts