Archery Talk Forum banner

Best bow vise and press?

1791 Views 16 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Neuralgia
Hi guys,

I'm from Costa Rica.

In a trip to the US I was introduced to bowhunting. It was love at first sight.

Unfortunately, here in Costa Rica, it's illegal to hunt, but that's not stopping me from practicing.

The thing is that, since there's NO archery shop in CR, I have no one to help me out with my bows (Diamond Rapture, Bowtech General, and a brand new Hoyt Ultra Elite, the only bran with a rep [but no shop] in CR).

The thing is that I'm planning to buy my own equipment. First thing I need is a bow vise (I already have all the levels):

a) Apple
b) R.S.

After that, I'm getting a bow press (I already have one of those portable ones I started with):

a) Apple
b)SureLoc

Which model do you recommend?

I just bought one of those laser tuners: Bow Plane 2. From reading on the internet, I chose it over the Ez Laser Gauge.

Thanks for the help,

Neu
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· HUNT'N SWAMP DONKEYS
5,046 Posts
bow press>>>>bow vice

Neu : I would probally go with the omni press priced right & will press any bow out there...ALBERT is a top notch guy...as for a vice I would go with a R.S. bow vice the are really nice...GOOD LUCK

· Registered
4,056 Posts
I would go with the new Apple evolution bow press, I would go with the apple infinity 360 degree bow vise. I have the R.S. bow vise and levels and its not that stable and not that great! get the best you can afford and it will last for many years and give you the kind of performance and quality your looking for!

· Registered
3,395 Posts
Definately get the Omni Press here on AT. As for a vise I would get one that holds the bow by the stabilizer hole. It is a much more stable holding method. You can check the Cobra Bow Vise. I have seen it for $80 in several places. Larry the maker of the ELP press makes a nice vise but he doesn't promote it? Maybe if he sees this post he can throw a picture up.

· Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the help guys.

Nice to have various opinions.

What is the Omni Press? I'll loook inside AT, but haven't heard of it.

Regarding the Vise, why is the ELP better than the other ones?

It's a shame a can't find a review for one of this products. That's why I started this thread.

Again, nice for the opinions, it seems it's going to be a tough call.

· Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks!!!

I already PM'd him.

I'm sure I'll get one of his.

Still deciding in the vise though.

The R.S. is a nice lookig, but I'm not sure how tight it is. Even though that'a the onse PSE recommends (for example)

Like better the apple, but I don't see any micro adjustments (except con the $279 model)

· Registered
8,914 Posts
It is very difficult to remove the string and relax the limbs completely on a bottle jack type of press. If you plan on changing limbs or anything else that requires disassembling the bow, you might look for something else. I started with a bottle jack press and while they do a great job if you just want to relax the string...they lack in the ablility to easily take a bow apart.

I bought an ELP press and it is a really versatile press. It will do anything from a crossbow to long axle to axle compound. It is easily adjusted to fit different bow configurations.

It sounds to me that you will want a press that allows you to do all types of maintenence since you can visit your local shop when you need a limb or cam changed. I suggest you buy a press that will meet all of your needs.

Good luck and happy shopping....

· Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the tip. You're absolutely RIGHT!

Can you explain why you can't take the bow apart?

It seems to me that after pressing, you just remove the string and cables, and you're ready to go and change limbs, cams, etc (of course you need to remove the bow from the press).

I'm I missing something?

· Registered
8,914 Posts
With the bottle jack press, your are limited to the range of mothion of the jack. They usually have around 4-6" of travel. So, to dis-assemble my bows I had to set the jack so that it was extended just enough that I could put the bow in the press, press it to the jacks max height and still be able to get the string and cables off the bow. Then I would let the jack down alll the way. Due to the limited travel, most of the time the limbs would not relax enough to take the bow out of the vise. When this happens you have to jack the bow back to a point and attach something to the limbs to hold them while you reposition the jack like you had it at the beginning so you can let the limbs out the rest of the way.

Hope that makes sense.

· Registered
3,002 Posts
If you are just needing a vise to hold the bow to change rests or sights then just about any vise will work for you. If you can see yourself wanting to get precise measurements of cam lean, centershot, string tracking or anything else I would suggest investing in a riser mounted vise. You can sometimes get quite a bit of variation in measurements with the limb mounted models.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.