Archery Talk Forum banner

Best bow?

1059 Views 14 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  sj_lutz
I am thinking about getting into the traditional side of archery, and was wondering what brands to look at to get a high quality bow, and also what featues to look at to make an overall great hunting bow.
Thanks
Kody
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
252 Posts
A lot would depend on how much you want to spend and what traditional means to you.We have folks in the ranks that shoot everything from FITA bows striped down to just sticks with strings.

I would suggest an older Pearson or Bear to start.You should be able to find a good one for around $100.I would start with 35-40 lbs and 60-62 inches.That's if you are into old style trad.

Best thing is to get out and try a lot of different bows.Even then it is going to take a while shooting to learn the qualities you like in a bow.

Now on the other hand,if you want to try a modern recurve Hoyt has a new 21" riser under $200,"can't remember the name but I will find out", and you can get ILF limbs from $100 on up.A big advantage of such a choice is the ability to learn proper form on light limbs and then move up to hunting weight.These bows are also more adjustable to the shooter and more adaptable to different shooting.

· Registered
133 Posts
well from what i have doscovered it is farm more about the shooter than the equipment. equipment only plays a small part since making the shot is pretty much all you. i would strongly recomend Viper's book listed in other posts as a good starter guide to traditional bows.

my personal fovorite right now is the bear montana longbow. others have different opinons i am sure.

· Registered
11,287 Posts
I am thinking about getting into the traditional side of archery, and was wondering what brands to look at to get a high quality bow, and also what featues to look at to make an overall great hunting bow.
Thanks
Kody
Kody,

Where to start ;) There are so many great bowyers there should be at least one that can fulfill your needs or desires.

My personal fav is:

DAS Master with high end ILF limbs...such as Samick Masters, Win Win Apexs Prime, Border HEXV, Win Win Winex, Sky Conquests, Samick Extremes, Win Win Inno and Samick Agullas.

For me that's the Ultimate bow for 3D and hunting. I just haven't decided on my favorite limbs yet.

Other favs are:

Black Widow, Centaur, Morrison, Border, Thunderhorn, Acadian

You will most likely get a list of various bowyers from different people.

Have fun ;)

Ray ;)

· Registered
7,049 Posts
Depends on how much you want to spend lol..

Black Widow makes a great bow so does Big Horn or well you get the idea from these post that there are a bunch of really nice bows available these days. It would be easier to pick some you like and do some searches here for peoples opinions of them. At one time or another pretty much every bow made has been discussed here.. Randy

· Registered
1,397 Posts
Quinn Stallion

Bugle:

Go to www.quinnsarchery.com click on INDEXand take a look at their metal handled take down recurves. They are very resonable and are of the same if not better quality as the "high end" bows. Call them direct, talk to Peggy and order you a custom made bow. Turn around time is usually about 4 weeks. I to came over from the compound recently and purchased the Stallion Classic for about $290 shipped. Do a search on here for Quinn and see what all great comments come up.

· Registered
611 Posts
Longbow or Recurve

If you are looking for a traditional longbow, get a Howard Hill. They are very reasonably priced for a custom bow. And they trully perform. Best longbow for the money.

If you are looking for a recurve, the Hoyt Dorado is trully hard to beat, price and performance. Cool looking. You can always upgrade to better limbs or higher weight.

I would stay away from Martin. I just bought one and the quality has sunk. The finish was uneven, the string was a joke. For the same price Hoyt gives you the bow and a case.

· Registered
479 Posts
I suggest shooting as many bows as you can get your hands on. Go to a traditional shoot and shoot all day. After you narrow your choice down to a specific bowyer shoot several bows of the exact same model. After you have made you decisions subtract 10 to 15lbs of what you think you want and order it.
Choosing the bow is the easiest part of trad shooting. I went to a trad event and shot every bow I could get my hands on. ACS,Fox Archery and Black Widow were the stand outs at that show I purchased a Fox.

· Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you guys for the info so far, i just got one question whats the differences between a long bow and a recurve?, I mainly hunt elk so what would be the best option. As for price, I'd like to keep it under 800 or around there.
Thanks,
Kody

· Registered
252 Posts
You are just going to have to shoot some different bows.You can either go to where you can get your hands on a bunch, like a big trad shoot, or you are going to be doing some trading.

DO NOT SPEND $800 ON YOUR FIRST BOW!!!! It would be like buying your first pair of shoes without knowing your size or if you were going to wear them to church or working in the mud.

· Registered
10,066 Posts
Thank you guys for the info so far, i just got one question whats the differences between a long bow and a recurve?, I mainly hunt elk so what would be the best option. As for price, I'd like to keep it under 800 or around there.
Thanks,
Kody
The only difference these days is personal choice. Most bows today about even. Pick which you like, because that's the only thing that really matters.

Get a cheap used bow no more than 40# and see how you like it- but more so what you don't like about it. Because you WILL buy another one. You have to know what to avoid in your next bows.

· Registered
6,441 Posts
Thanks,
Kody
Most longbows are going to be, well, longer than most recurves. Seems to me (and I've only really been paying attention for a fairly short time) that most folks longbows range from 62 inches up, while there are recurves longer than 62 inches, my impression is that most folks shoot shorter curves than longbows.

Most longbows will have fairly straight grips, while most recurves will have a more ergronomic (maybe not the best word??) grip. Recurves are generally faster, longbows generally quieter.

If you can, shoot as many different bows as you can. I'd suggest that you start out with no more than 45lbs (less is more at the begining) at your draw, then work your way up should you want to hunt with a heavier weight.

At the $800 you mention, you should be able to find a 40-45lb bow on the classifieds either here or at the bay, and still have $650 or more left to get a "good" bow. Plenty of folks will get you into a great bow for that amount.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.