Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'd like some feedback on Dave Cousin's "BEST" brand launcher, particularly the wear factor (if any) or if anyone has found that using the thinner than recommended (for weight) blade is better.

I intend to give one a try on a GKF Infiniti or NAP 3000 with skinny carbons but before I "spring" (pun intended) for one, I'd like to know if anyone has had any issues with them (good or bad).

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Regards

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Dave's Best Launcher

Sin,
You can't go wrong with this blade. We have been using them for over a year and half. I have them on a QT 3000, two Infinitys and two Britesite Pro Tuners. The .008 works great with navigators and ACE's and the .010 works best with our indoor X-7's. I have the same blade on my Phantom Elite that I shoot outdoors and can't detect any wear after one year. The Infinities
are good rests but on our bows they seem to set up using almost all the vertical adjustment in the down position. I don't care for that. Of course the QT 3000 doesn't have any elevation adjustment at all except changing the angle of the blade. All in all, the Pro Tuner is very easy to experiment with center shot and vertical adjustment with no tools. The only down side is that it is easily corrupted if some smuck wanted to screw you up. I have shot my Pro Tuner with the .008 Best Blade all summer and can't imagine anything performing any better.
Jbird

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
If it's good enough for Dave Cousin's it's good enough for me!

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
These blades are great. they do rust easily but do not create a problem. I have shot a "BEST" blade on my GKF Infiniti rest since June and still have the same one on, showing no signs of wear. My arows are like 330 grains and I am using a .08 launcher.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RUST???????

According to the NAP website, the blades are of "stainless steel construction".

Am I missing something here or am I to assume the blades made specifically for NAP are of stainless steel whilst the ones made for other rests aren't?
:confused:

Regards

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
The "best" launchers are blue and NAP are silver, I don't know if that is a difference. '

I believe the rests are made of spring steel. Who cares anyway? The rests work great and a little rust will not hurt a thing.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Best Launchers

Sin,
The blades made to fit the QT 3000 and the GFK's with the wide hole spacing may be stainless steel (they are silver) and I have not noticed any rust. The blades made to fit the Infinity with the narrow dual hole spacing and the single hole blade that fits the Britesite Pro Tuner are blue spring steel and will rust if left unprotected over time (minor). I just put a dab of silicone oil on my finger and wipe a light coat on both sides of the blade occasionally and especially after shooting in the rain and have no problems with rust even with the blue steel models. If you buy extra blades, be sure to open the package and coat them with oil because they seem to rust worse in the package than on the bow. LOL
Jbird

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info guys.

Jay, I guess I've learnt something from what you said ...in all my time on this forum & having seen the rave reviews about the Pro Tuner, I just always thought it was a specialty rest for "fat" arrows. This combined with the fact that I haven't seen anybody using one in Fita Outdoor over here in Aus made me jump to the conclusion that the Tuner wasn't designed for shooting "needles" - hence I've never considered buying one.

Thanks for straightening me out on that one......now anyone out there have a Titanium Pro Tuner for sale?:D

Regards

·
Member # 75
3,493 Posts
The sure way to identify a serious SHOOTER is to look for the rust on his Tuner blade. You are not anybody if your blade is not rusty. Just look at DarrinM's blade, it may be in competition with the rust on my old Chev truck.

I would not expect the long term memory of the stainless blade to equal that of the spring steel blade.

Sin, I have standard annodized Pro Tuners and stainless steel body ProTuners and the SS may have been a waste of money. The annodized aluminum body ones still have SS guide rails. I have a really rusty blade on a pretty SS ProTuner though.

The old original tuners before Mike started making them looked like blued steel and the whole thing would rust.

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
sin, they are available in titanium. the std tuner is steel, not aluminum. I had the finish changed on them since I started making them.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Pro Tuner?

Folks,

I wasn't aware of the fact thta the "Best"-launcher is available for Pro Tuners as well......... Where could I get those? Lancaster only seams to offer some for GK and NAP.

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
legolas, there is no blade out there that is better than the tuner blade. Some may shoot as good, but not better. the tuner blade is the only one with the double flex bend in it. It gives a more forgiving launch.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
You also may want to look at the Premo launcher from Golden Key. I used them this entire Outdoor target and 3-D season and couldn't be happier. They come in 3 thicknesses (.008, .010, and .012) and are teflon coated to prevent rusting. (You actually don't have to have a rusty launcher to shoot well)

I also like that the blades don't take a set when bent a little (It would take a lot more than just shooting arrows over them).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts