Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mechanical vs Fixed, Which is the best and why in your opinion? I shot rage last year and am thinking about going with something new this year but I don't know what yet.

·
Time Flies
13,275 Posts
Tough to beat the Rage as far as I'm concerned. But, if I were ever going to switch, I'd go with a small, fixed head like the G5 Striker. You couldn't pay me to shoot expandables that open from the front.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I like my Muzzy's. They don't cost any KE to open and they don't really fail. But if I were to shoot a mechanical it would be grim reapers for thier reliability.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
All I use are G5 Montecs 100 grn

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Some guys get a new bow every year or have several types at the same time. I can't afford that so I try out bunches of broadheads.
Fixed/Expandable does not really matter to me, I have had excellent results from both in either hunting or testing;
It all depends on what your after and your set up being in good tune for the game you are persuing, meaning you do not want to go after. a bull moose with a Grim Reaper Whitetail SS out of a bow set at 27" draw shooting 60#s, but I would use that set up all day long on a whitetail. But a COC like a Magnus/Slick Trick Razor/Simmons Sharks...etc... will work on what ever you choose to hunt as long as your shot placement is good.
I prefer Slick Tricks for fixed heads, and Grim Reapers for expandables, both are tough and sharp. But there are many more heads out there that are equally effective, as long as you put in the time in making sure your bow is in the best tune, and you respect the limits of your shooting ability with which ever you choose.

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
the best is the one on the end of my arrows,, why would i shoot something less than the best i can get? ( best can also vary from year to year and bow to bow,, there really isnt a best thats better than everything else,, it is whats the best for you and your rig,, nobody elses),,,,and they are not mechanical,,,,,

·
crossbows are archery :)
7,063 Posts
All depends on your bow. I love magnus stingers and also love Steelheads. My bows are tuned and I just love playing with different BHs. Really if ya tune your bow and have a correct arrow most any BH will fly well and kill if ya do your part...

·
Registered
47 Posts
there is no such thing as a "best broadhead" in my opinion. i believe there are a lot of good ones. my personal favorites are g5 tekans, g5 t3, and grimreapers i think they are great heads as far as fixed blade goes montecs, strikers, slick tricks

·
Registered
545 Posts
I would use just about any fixed blade but I use Magnus stingers

·
Registered
470 Posts
mechanical-Grim reaper, Spitfire
Fixed- Thunderheads, Slick Tricks
In the middle- 2 Blade Bloodrunner
The bloodrunner has put down over 60 hogs for me, and useing about 1 head per 10 hogs, great blood trials for me, not running more than 40 yards.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Fixed heads period IMO. Anything mechanical is susceptible to failure plain and simple, can't dispute that, it's a fact. All heads will kill, name of the game is shot placement plain and simple. I see no advantage to a mechanical head except maybe extreme distance in the wind. Any fixed head will fly true with proper tuning. I prefer slick trick mags.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I like the 3 blade Muzzy's !!!!! They rock the deer and fly just like the target tips.... No need for a change here.. JMO only...

·
Registered
827 Posts
Wac'em Tritons!!!
These are some good flying heads.
Easy to tune, tough, and lethal.
Most under-rated head IMO

·
Registered
366 Posts
Have shot Muzzy, Nap Spitfire and Now the Magnus Buzzcut. For me with 55 pounds and under anymore the Magnus is it, and with a properly tuned bow I get them to shoot with my fieldtips out to 50 yrds.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Muzzy MX-3

Ramcat 100g

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I have a spot and stalk archery hunt coming up in October and I have been doing a lot of looking on different forums, websites etc. for the "best" broadhead. The bottom line seems to be that there are so many broadheads out there that everyone will have their favorite. I have notices that some names pop up more than others (magnus, slick tricks, muzzy, rage, montecs etc.) You will find some people who swear by one broadhead and others who hate the same one. The most common advice that I've found is what has already been stated in this thread. If you choose the proper type (fixed vs. mechanical) for your particular game of choice, if you're bow is properly tuned and you take the time to practice, most any broadhead will do. I'm not ranting and raving, this is just what I have found.

Best of luck,
-J

1 - 20 of 20 Posts