Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my 2nd season (here in a week,) so I wanted to get some opinions from some of you more experienced bow hunters about the best calls for early archery season for Mule deer. Any and all thoughts would ebe much appreciatd. Thanks !

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Tell you the truth, in all of my 20 years of hunting mule deer I have never used a call. Not one time. So I guess I am no help to you at all. Good luck this year.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Last season (my 1st season) I did the scouting, stalking, waiting thing...no calls.......got close to some deer, but wondered what calls are effective for calling them a bit closer.....

·
Coram Deo
3,287 Posts
I've had really good success calling mulies in with an ordinary predator call. You'll usually bring the does in, but at the right time of the year, they'll have bucks following them.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Try using a fawn bleet it will bring in bucks and does, they think a fawn is in distress. they will come in, but they will be on edge, I use one all the time

·
Registered
596 Posts
I used to use the Kmeer deer call years ago, works great to bring in the does, I think it is suppose to imitate a fawn distress call. I don't ever remember it working on the bucks though. For some reason the does with no fawns would respond the best.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I prefer the Western Game call made by Wayne Carlton. I have used it for several years now and swear by it. In fact, tonight I called in a forked horn and a doe(mule deer) that were headed to other way. They both came to about 45 yards and were coming closer until some Dove hunter started shooting. At that point they spooked and ran back into the corn. Private property and I am the only one with permission to hunt. I hope IDF&G caught up them, as they were called after talking to the land owner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts