Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need help with what arrows are the best for the money you spend, i have easton raiders there okay i like them but want better, i have the victory decimator, i like those as well the eastons are a little bit straighter but the victory has a better spine more durable i read, but i want to input form the guys that put a lot of hours in to shooting i spend 10hrs a week shooting min the bow took my soul!, i need good arrows that can be shot 100s of times and still be good for hunting in spring! thanks ahead of time. 400 spine is what i have with a 100 grain broad head, thanks again in advance!

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
you will probably get a lot of differing opinions and honestly I think all of the big arrow companies (gold tip, Easton, carbon express, black eagle) offer good arrows.

Look at the straightness factors, that is what generally sets the arrows apart with respect to cost. I personally like gold tip hunters they are tough as nails.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
There is no "best" carbon arrow. All of the arrow companies make a good arrow so it comes down to what fits your needs. I like Victory, Carbon Express and Easton. I use to like Gold Tip as well but the QC has seemed to drop off the last few years. I had some .006 Victory sport arrows that tested straighter that .001 Gold Tip Pro arrows.

·
Registered
23,198 Posts
I've shot Easton, Beman, CE, GT's and know guys who shoot Bloodsport, Black Eagle and Deer Crossing. Nothing I have personally shot or know of beats the consistency, durability and overall quality of the Easton Axis. I've shot and hunted with Axis the past 5 years and look at other options just for the sake of change....and always come back.

·
Socket Man
23,743 Posts
I'm a gold tip shooter and for me they just are one of my pieces that do the job over and over without me needing to baby them or worry about them or do constant maintenance. They simply work every day.

If you are gonna remain a 400 spine guy then you have the velocity and hunter shafts to choose from in normal hunting diameters. The velocity shafts are lighter than the hunter shafts so you can get to your total weight that you prefer.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've found Black Eagle to have the most consistent spines which I believe is extremely important especially when shooting FBBH long ranges. The Black Eagle are also really straight but I'd take a consistent spine with .003 straightness over a .001 straightness with inconsistent spine.

I've always heard great things about Carbon Tech spine consistency but those are hard to find if they're even made anymore. I've shot and tested; Easton Axxis, Carbon Express Maxima, Pile Driver and Reds, Gold Tip Hunter and Kinetic and Black Eagle X-Impact/Deep Impact where the best of the bunch. That said the outserts on the skinny shafts like the X-Impact/Deep Impact are difficult to get to align and I only net out 10 out of 12 that are good for FBBH so my next dozen Black Eagles will be the Spartan shaft.

·
Socket Man
23,743 Posts
If you are gonna insist on shooting groups I would suggest getting gto bushings and gto nocks, they help your arrows with rear impacts. I have used gto nocks for a couple years and they are my favorite choice for hunting and tournaments.

·
Back Yard Champion
28,894 Posts
i need help with what arrows are the best for the money you spend, i have easton raiders there okay i like them but want better, i have the victory decimator, i like those as well the eastons are a little bit straighter but the victory has a better spine more durable i read, but i want to input form the guys that put a lot of hours in to shooting i spend 10hrs a week shooting min the bow took my soul!, i need good arrows that can be shot 100s of times and still be good for hunting in spring! thanks ahead of time. 400 spine is what i have with a 100 grain broad head, thanks again in advance!
A .400" spine arrow can cover a lot of draw weight, but then you didn't give any information other than arrows you've tried and rated.

I can't think of or remember a .400" spine that wasn't durable except for Bowcore Giants I use for 3D. Giants are .414" in diameter - large diatmeter, lighter they are kind of brittle, but then not used for hunting.

Arrows I've used; Carbon Express, Victory, Harvest Time Archery (no longer made), Muddy Outdoors (no longer made), Deer Crossing Archery, Absolute, Beman and some I can't remember....Whoops. Got some Gold Tips, but haven't used them.

Any carbon arrow is subject to breakage when multiple arrows are shot at the same bull's eye or the mix of 4 and 5 people shooting the same 3D target. Pretty sure every nocking system used has been Robin Hooded.

I've had carbon arrows that broke after giving full penetration on deer, but I don't consider that a failure as the arrow did it's job. Yep, had many arrows that gave full penetration and didn't break.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have tried many brands of arrows and really like Carbon Express Maxima Red for penetration and accuracy. They are a rugged arrow and very reliable. That being said, you cannot go wrong with any hunting arrow above $90.00 per dozen.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Like many other folks, I've shot a bunch of different arrows. Currently I'm using Victory Vap's with Firenock outserts.They're a hard hitting son of a gun. You need to spine check them because the factory spine alignment marks isn't great. The other arrows that I like are the Carbon Express Maxima hunters or Maxima Reds, They seem to be a more forgiving arrow when shot from my No Cam or Carbon Defiant. There spine alignment is spot on from the factory.

·
Registered
521 Posts
There is no "best" carbon arrow. All of the arrow companies make a good arrow so it comes down to what fits your needs. I like Victory, Carbon Express and Easton. I use to like Gold Tip as well but the QC has seemed to drop off the last few years. I had some .006 Victory sport arrows that tested straighter that .001 Gold Tip Pro arrows.
No offence and not trying to single you out, but i REALLY hate when people say there is no best. That is simply not true, there is a best of everything. Perhaps one arrow is best at one thing vs another, or perhaps its just the best overall, there IS a best. Just because we dont have all the facts and information yet does not mean there isnt a best arrow. There are BEST olympians even though they all come within milliseconds of each other in races, there is still a BEST!

·
Registered
7,537 Posts
Ive shot carbon express gold tip and Black Eagle. Blackeagle has good spec when tested. This up coming year. Im going to look at the new tapered grizzly stiks (TDT) there now being made by victory.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
I have a bunch of Gold Tip arrows for 3-D. Series 22's to be exact. They are durable (to a point) and run pretty much to spec. I've used them for over 3 years now with no problems. Bought another dozen and they aren't quite as true as the old ones? From what I'm seeing at my club, Victory has made some major changes and are looking real good. The ones we checked were perfect on run out, and seem to be very good. I use GT Hunter's for hunting, great arrows, but if you want tough, check out some PSE X Weaves, almost bombproof.--BB

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
I used to shoot Gold Tip mainly...until I made a spine tester and started looking at spine consistency and straightness. I will just say that I now shoot CX Maxima Red SD’s - tough, great insert/outsert, and spine consistency. I also really like FMJ injexions for Elk hunting - great spine consistency around the shaft and plenty tough.
For 3D and all around great value the Black Eagle Outlaws are tough to beat -

1 - 20 of 52 Posts