Archery Talk Forum banner

Best Cell-Cam Discussion (2022)

11K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  Tejasquacker7991 
#1 ·
Guys and Gals,

I am new to the "Cell-Cam" realm as I usually keep it pretty cheap for cameras that I place on public land but this year I will be looking to set up a few spots that I had great success last year and would like to place a few cell cameras on exits / entrances and staging areas from known bedding.

I would like to start a discussion for those to provide recommendations and comments regarding the best options and their preferences for "cell-cams" in terms of the following metrics...

1. Price - Price vs. Effectiveness (cheaper = purchase more, which is always better). Cellular Plan Pricing?
  2. Reliability - No white or blank photos, not oversensitive to wind, effective capture distance (>30yds), etc.
  3. Battery Life - Avoid changing batteries in season since close to bedding. Plan to put up in (April / May) and would like them to last till (February / March). Any viable Solar Options?
  4. Stealth - Hides from attention of hunters and deer. Doesn't alert deer with clicking or infrared flashes.
  5. Maneuverability - Would like to have an attachment method to hang in a tree about 6-8 feet off the ground using a climbing stick and then point downwards to reduce deer and hunters seeing or taking the camera.
Feel free to post links to your favorite cam and provide any tips and tricks...

Ultimately it would be great if this thread could become a resource for others to explore all the options for new cell-cam technology for the upcoming season.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Tactacam Reveal XB. The Reveal X is probably the absolute best considering price point, but they are basically gone because the XB took its place in production.

Make sure you use a U3 Class 10 Sandisk SD card (or comparable).

Has lots of sensitivity adjustments for your desired application.

Battery life is excellent with Energizer lithium. The XB is a “no flash” model.

And step 5 is a pipe dream.

#6 ·
Hyper fire 2 , cellular

-You'll never miss an alert

-You'll get alerted instantly

-Photo quality is incredible. The detail you can see is awesome

-Jack@$$es can't easily open it up and steal your SD card (if you have it locked)

-No red/Infrared to spook deer

-long battery life

-Made in the USA baby 🇺🇸

#9 ·
I
Hyper fire 2 , cellular

-You'll never miss an alert

-You'll get alerted instantly

-Photo quality is incredible. The detail you can see is awesome

-Jack@$$es can't easily open it up and steal your SD card (if you have it locked)

-No red/Infrared to spook deer

-long battery life

-Made in the USA baby 🇺🇸
I love Reconyx. But there is no way I would buy those over the Reveals. Even if I had that much disposable income to spend on cameras. There is no way to justify that purchase.

Reactions: conservewild
#12 ·
I only have regular (non-cell) cameras but my best friend has several Moultrie 7000i cellular cameras and he loves them. I've seen the pictures and the quality is good. He can customize settings and download frequency from an app. He hasn't had any technical or battery issues with them. Like I said, I don't have any firsthand experience with them but I know my friend is a a huge fan of Moultrie.

#13 ·
In 2020 I bought my 1st cell camera a Spypoint. I picked up 2 more last year off ebay for around $75 each (they can be had a little cheaper now with the 2 pack if you shop around). I like the fact that 1st 100 pics every month for each camera is FREE. I more or less setup my cameras on trails/crossings near my stand and setup to take 1 pic every 10 or 30 minutes. Usually only in Oct/Nov I will pay for extra pictures as this is when action really starts to pick up. I know if there's multiple deer in a group I'm probably only going to get a picture of the 1st one and not every one since it's only taking a picture every 10 or 30 minutes. I've had one camera out since Sept and I'm on my second set of Rayova AA batteries. Still have 57% battery life left in that set. Most would say I don't utilize cell camera to their full potential, but since I'm setup to only take limited # of pictures. My settings allow me to monitor deer movement in my area and have helped with me seeing more deer when I hunt.

#14 ·
One thing about Reconyx cameras most don't know is, you can send or take a camera in to them and they will repair them if there is an issue. I don't use cell cams but, I have bought several used older cameras and have never spent more than $45.00 to have them repaired. I have had card readers and motion sensors replaced. I don't know of any other manufacturer that will repair cameras at a reasonable cost.

Also, very few pics without an animal in them. And excellent pictures.

#16 ·
My Browning Defender has been in the woods two years straight and it's on it's second set of Lithium batteries.(light amount of pictures).
It has yet to give me one problem. Cell plan is $10/month for 1000 pictures if I remember right. So their plans are a little spendy.

#18 ·
I’ve ran Ridgetec Lookout for the past few years. Single set of LiIon batteries per season. One thing that is really important with cell cams is the user interface and photo catalogue. You can adjust the camera settings and see photos from their dedicated app or website. Whatever cam you choose your cell plan will dictate the quality photos that you get. IE, better quality photo = more expensive plan as it consumes more data. Also, make sure you can get whatever cam you want it a cell provider that works in your area. I had to find a cam that used AT&T as no other provider has a tower near me.

Tons of great options. Good luck!

#21 ·
I like the Spartan cameras, they send pictures and videos right to your phone and you have control of every camera setting from the app. Since you are setting up on public land you might want one of the models with the built in GPS in it. If the camera is stolen it will continue to send it's location even with the camera turned off, the batteries removed and the antenna disabled. The GPS model cameras also have a built in lithium battery and I have two that have been running over two years with nothing but a solar panel connected to them, no batteries at all in the camera. Spartan also has the tree mounts so you can mount them up high and aim them down, the GoLive2 model has an adjustable bracket built right in the back of it. There's also a few models that allow you to live steam and watch what's happening live right in front of the camera. Spartan also has bundled data plans where you purchase your data package with the first camera and then add additional cameras to that plan for $5 a month.

#22 ·
All good info on Cell Cameras but no one has mention Cell Service. That is an issue as some parts of the US has better AT&T While Others have Verizon and no many offer another Cell Service. If I recall there is one that has 2 Cell Service so you could move it to different places, When I read information from the Different Brands I have a difficultly accepting what they suggest like Bushnell they talk up that You need to use the ATT or Verizon "Coverage" Maps and use that to decide what Cell Service to Use but they also mention You can't use your Cell Phone Signal Meter? So when I looked at the Verizon Coverage Map it says where my Property has 100% Coverage when It Does Not my Neighbor started with Verizon because he went with their coverage map he has since switched to AT&T Service Cams and has better use! So that said I am reluctant to get a cell Cam. If You cell Phone does not work even on top of the highest Point how can one expect a Cell Cam to work on lower areas? And once You Open the Box you can't return it for a Refund? Just pointing this out. I have read that some App's have more and Better Features while others don't. A friend in Louisiana also started with Verizon and Has switch over to AT&T he is a firm believer in the Spartan Brand Cams. Price is important but so is the Images you can get. As for the Monthly Fee once you have used a Cell Came that might change as to what you are getting as to how many pic's or even videos? It is hard to jump in and start with the more costly service fee. And The Free initial Service is just to draw someone in as 30 days can go by quickly. Seem as others jump into the Market the service packages start out low but could / have increase as they change app features. SO I am still sitting on the Fence as to ATT or Verizon. And have no idea what and where the Closest Cell Tower might be...
LFM

#23 ·
LFM, Spartan has their M model cameras that will work on whatever cell signal is the strongest in your area so you don't have to worry about which cell carrier to buy. You ask about the cameras working where your cell phone signal is weak, the reason is the cameras have the larger external antenna as compared to a cell phone with a tiny antenna that's inside the phone. Of course if there is zero cell signal then obviously nothing is going to work there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.