Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
can I shoot it?
16,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there has been quite a few post and threads lately on late season/heavy weight baselayers. I decided to do a video on my Outdoor Analytics YouTube channel about what I feel is the absolutely best late season baselayer out there, the Cabelas standhunter baselayer with primaloft. It is just a quick video and can show how they work in -5 degree weather (and dropping).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo4Fkseez_E

Hopefully this helps those looking for a great choice in late season baselayers.

·
wolfey
4,125 Posts
Are you wearing it as a midlayer? I wonder how long the primaloft will keep it's loft being an under layer compressed under suspender straps and other clothes. How breathable can a layer with primaloft and nylon be? Do you hike in wearing it or put it on when you arrive?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
can I shoot it?
16,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am wearing it as a mid layer, but wearing it as my outter layer to the short walk to my stand or blind. So far it seems very breathable and I think the merano helps in that. As far as keeping its loft, neither the Fanatic light bibs or jacket, the stratus bibs or jacket, the Fanatic jacket or bibs, the insinerstor bibs or jacket, the woolbury bibs or jacket or the Sanctuary bibs or jacket are so compression fit that I think it will hurt or press down the primaloft insulation. The suspenders on those pieces do help keep the bibs up but it is more of function of the cut and fit overall that keeps them well fitting. Also none of those jackets are too tight fitting. The only exception is the stand hunter extreme outerwear pieces from Cabelas. I have owned and worn the parka, the bibs and the coveralls. They are extremely warm but also extremely heavy and those may (over several seasons) press down enough on the primaloft to make it loose some of its loft. The thing I see about this is how often will you use these baselayer with a stand hunter extreme outter pieces. For me it has to be almost single digits or below before I break that out so it is a pretty rare event. Most of the time it will be the Fanatic or Sanctuary series and those I feel will not hurt these baselayers.

·
wolfey
4,125 Posts
That's good to hear. Is there enough room under it to fit a long sleeve base layer or are the sleeves too tight that a short sleeve would work better?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
can I shoot it?
16,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wear a thin long sleeve. It is a little tight from bicep down, but not horrible.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Thanks for the review..I'll be checking Cabelas for the sale on those pieces. I just bought a similar top from Icebreaker, I really like it,

·
Registered
10,580 Posts
Would you say the Cabelas you have on is the same as a sitka base with kelvin lite hoody over it? What i am getting at is, i would prefer to layer as needed vs a one piece like Cabelas is offering. By that i mean it is more versatile over a long season to have the ability to seperate the merino from the primaloft for many different temps. That said that has to be a big time seller for Cabelas once guys see the benefit of merino and primaloft together.

·
can I shoot it?
16,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For full season versatility a merino layer then kelvin over that would give you more options, this baselayer is pretty specialized for extreme cold weather, such as late season here in Iowa with weather that tops out in single digits and can be much colder. In that case you want all the warmth you can get without being crazy bulky. I have worn a merino baselayer, then the kelvin then the Fanatic, as well as the cirrus puffy under the woolbury to get added warmth, but I think this method is much less bulky and allows for even more additional layers and still fit under the shell.

·
Registered
10,580 Posts
You think it is as warm as the merino base with the kelvin over it and less bulky?

·
can I shoot it?
16,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would say it is extremely close, maybe not quite as warm simply becasuse using the two separate pieces allows more air to be trapped and warm up, but at the cost of being more bulky. If think for equal bulk you could wear the standhunter baselayer then a thin insulation piece like a FL cirrus or Eddie Bauer thin puffy or even something like the Sitka Gradiant hoody and have a similar bulk with more warmth. I think you could also do a thin baselayer SS like the aerowool or core SS, then the Fanatic hoodie, then this layer (standhunter) and layer the Fanatic over it and be extremely warm.

·
Lurker Extraordinaire
9,201 Posts
I watched the video and went to Cabela's website. I found the pants, but couldn't find the top. When I put in the product number(got it from another thread), the web site said it was discontinued.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I watched the video and went to Cabela's website. I found the pants, but couldn't find the top. When I put in the product number(got it from another thread), the web site said it was discontinued.
I really hope that they're just out of stock. I've been waiting for these to go on sale for a little while now.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I am wearing it as a mid layer, but wearing it as my outter layer to the short walk to my stand or blind. So far it seems very breathable and I think the merano helps in that. As far as keeping its loft, neither the Fanatic light bibs or jacket, the stratus bibs or jacket, the Fanatic jacket or bibs, the insinerstor bibs or jacket, the woolbury bibs or jacket or the Sanctuary bibs or jacket are so compression fit that I think it will hurt or press down the primaloft insulation. The suspenders on those pieces do help keep the bibs up but it is more of function of the cut and fit overall that keeps them well fitting. Also none of those jackets are too tight fitting. The only exception is the stand hunter extreme outerwear pieces from Cabelas. I have owned and worn the parka, the bibs and the coveralls. They are extremely warm but also extremely heavy and those may (over several seasons) press down enough on the primaloft to make it loose some of its loft. The thing I see about this is how often will you use these baselayer with a stand hunter extreme outter pieces. For me it has to be almost single digits or below before I break that out so it is a pretty rare event. Most of the time it will be the Fanatic or Sanctuary series and those I feel will not hurt these baselayers.
Question, if you were going to pick a set would you go with the fanatic or incinerator? I'm leaning toward the incinerator but it seemed like the fanatic was cut a little bit longer, which I liked. I get cold easily but most of my stands are at a mile or more in, so I'd be packing my outerwear. This set would be my first sitka purchase besides some gloves and a neck gator.

·
Registered
13,398 Posts
Yeah I cant find it either. That might be why it sold for so cheap then though

·
Team #9
8,644 Posts
I got the top in large and pants in medium ...glad I did makes it much easier to draw my bow , I wear it with something under it
and wear it next to skin too, just depends...got the top 70% off paid full price for the pants . I love this set so warm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts