Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the state of ohio and want to start coyote hunting. I usually dont see alot of coyotes but alot of people i know do and hunt them. I have no experience with predator calls so can you suggest a good call that will work well?

· Hunter/Gatherer
13,388 Posts
Any distress call works well. Primos has a mouse squeeker and a Raspy Coaxer. Those 2 are my favorite. For Coyote Howls and yelps go with the Little Dog.

· Registered
1,415 Posts
For a quality and economical call Ive had good luck with a Primos Raspy Coaxer. Its a two in one that is a jackrabbit with a built in mouse squeeker or coaxer that works by covering one end of the call. Called in lots of coyotes with this call and there are no jackrabbits within a couple 100 miles from where I live. I also use an electronic FoxPro call alot but not sure if you want to spend that kind of money (or if its even legal where you live).

· Registered
611 Posts
I say stay with a mouth call I have both and can call in twice if not three times the amount of coyotes with my mouth call. I use a ctitter getter and a sceery call.

· Registered
1,339 Posts
I've had my best luck with one of these critter getters like bust,em1 in the pee-wee model. http://www.critrcall.com/page/1r8a6/Products/Predator_Calls.html Anything you want to know about calling predators you should look at this site http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm It's just as good as this site but is related towards hunting predators. Like the others stated you can't go wrong with a fox pro. As far as how to go about hunting them I've written a few articles at this site http://blog.hudsonvalleysportsman.com/ on how to go about it. Good luck to ya at it and shoot as many as you can.

· Hunter/Gatherer
13,388 Posts
If your going to get into it seriously, get yourself a foxpro and be done with it. The amount of calls you can download onto it are endless.
Illegal in Kansas....

· Registered
1,897 Posts
Go to allpredatorcalls.com. Al has everything that you could possibly need.
I use a Foxpro Fury most of the time but I also do a lot of Howling this time of year and a mouth blown Howler is much better for this.
If you are new to Coyote calling dont get discouraged when you dont call any in after several attempts. It takes a while to get proficient at this and a Coyote is the SMARTEST animal in the woods.
Good Luck

· Registered
3,807 Posts
I use a "howler" to bring those call shy songdogs into range. The Critter Getter gets my vote for mouth calls.

· Bent Not Broken
3,451 Posts
I will be returning next month and live a hour and a half from you. I hunt allot of yotes. Probably spend some family time first, but plan to start cutting the yote population soon after.

I carry a squeaker, squirrel call, rabbit distress, howler, and fawn bleat. I use what I think will work per set and try not to use the same exact ones twice in the same area right away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.