·
Mathews shooter
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you all feel is the best custom made recurve bow and why

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
No real answer to this as there are a huge amount of great built custom bows. So i will just answer with the one i like best: Bob Lee. There is no bow better than a Bob Lee

·
Registered
586 Posts
There simply isnt an answer to that. Its like saying "what is the best motorized vehicle?"

There are all sorts of different goals behind various bows being built. The max performance bow probably isnt the same as the best craftsmanship and the best durability is probably another. Some people like elaborate woodwork, some like simple construction with lots of G10. And theres a huge variety of styles - great 50s style differ from great super recurves and theres everything in between. You can get a custom one piece bow or a custom ILF bow.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Impossible question, go to a traditional rendezvous this spring shoot a lot of bows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Corripe Cervisiam
23,186 Posts
OP, you have to narrow it down to what you want it for.

There are literally 1000 amazing custom bowyers in the US..... anyone of them you would be happy with.

It is important to try a bunch of different style bows as what you will find is that you will gravitate to a certain style.

·
Registered
60 Posts
As much as I can agree with all.... way too many options.

For myself, my next bow will be another Hurst, bows are beautifully craft, timeless style, draw smooth out to 32. And more so, the bowyer has been enjoyable to talk to at several shoots and work with on other things.

That said, ones I wouldn’t pass by on the way: Wengard, Toelke, or Centuar bows are beautiful pieces of art..... but nothing I’ve seen tops a Silvertip. Never found one set up for a 32” draw so don’t know if i’ll Find one for myself.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have shot a fair number of different bows in my life and my favorites are all very different in style and philosophy.

I like the Bear Super Kodiak 60” because it is economical, a pure hunter, is very forgiving. It doesn’t do anything best but does everything good. This one is not a custom though.

My favorite longbow is the Allen Boice Liberty English. Hill-ish style with string follow design. Slow and slightly heavy for a longbow but soaks up vibration and just releases smooth. I still don’t know why I sold it but it was in my early days of trad and I wanted to try them all.

Black Widow still makes a crazy good bow. My 45 lb MAII was so dead in the hand andit was like you couldn’t tell you had just shot an arrow. Silky smooth draw too. One of the finest ever.

The Black Widow PL longbow I had was like an extension of your body. It weighed hardly anything and just pointed naturally. Super smooth stackless draw as with all BWs.

I still want to try a Blacktail, Centaur, and an A&H. Also, BW PTF.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
How about target shooting? Which custom traditional bow you have tried helped you get the best grouping? Traditional means shooting off the shelf (whether longbow or recurve).

·
Corripe Cervisiam
23,186 Posts
This qualifies as a "Best bow" if you want a looker....do you have $9,000 laying around?

Hand carved Blacktail

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Can't give you the "best" recurve, but I sure like my A&H ACS longbow.

·
Registered
Mins, Gillo, Uukha, Dryad, Caribow user. ILF fan, WA3D instinctive competitor
1,302 Posts
There's lots of bowyers who I would say are elite craftsmen(persons?) and their work is astounding to look at and with decent performance. There's also those who push the envelope for performance and innovation.
"Best" would be so subjective that 20 people would give you 20 different answers. I do like many bowyers work as pieces yet I have grown to love ultra modern limbs so if it was me, I'd be looking at an ILF riser only and buy the limbs "off the peg".
I have and love Caribows, blacktail, Toelke, Dryad among others but my favourite riser is Mins. But if I was to pick one now for limbs and a riser, I'd probably go Dryad....... a good balance of performance, looks and options.

·
Mathews shooter
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’ve been looking at the black widow pa one piece ironwood just love the look of that bow

·
Registered
94 Posts
How about target shooting? Which custom traditional bow you have tried helped you get the best grouping? Traditional means shooting off the shelf (whether longbow or recurve).
Many people from back in the age when traditional bows were just bows, used arrow rests and sights.

So no, you don’t have to shoot off the shelf to be traditional....or shoot bare bow.

·
Mathews shooter
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I plan on shooting off the shelf and no sights

·
Registered
586 Posts
Black Widows are high quality bows. Looks are subjective but I think they look good and they have a nice finish. They are also well known for durability. And they are as "accurate" as any quality one piece bow. There are faster bows out there but Black Widows are by no means slow.

Assuming you like the way the grip fits(they have multiple grip shape options) its probably a good choice.

·
Proverbs 21:19
9,737 Posts
I am a longbow guy but as for recurves I shoot a log riser Tall Tines the best.

·
Registered
847 Posts
There is no right answer to this question! The best for any particular guy is the one he likes and shoots the best. That differs greatly from person to person. Your question is totally subjective, depending on who you are asking it to!!!!

For me, there are 2 right at the top! Primal Tech recurve/longbow(I have both limbs for the same riser) and Sarrels Blueridge takedown longbow. Those are the bows I like and shoot the best!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
446 Posts
How many times is this question asked? About a gazillion. And the answers given are mostly correct....there is no best. You need to figure it out in your case, or just start spending money on other people's best and end up with a skinny wallet and bows for sale on the classified. I wouldn't even consider answering with a name, it's just too subjective, and money isn't an indicator of quality either so don't fall into that trap unless you have so much cash on hand you just have to throw some at bows. :) I haven't seen any custom yet that I like better than a 1970 Bear Super Kodiak, but that's me. I like to buy what I shoot well.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts