Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It makes me sick when I see people paying for bags of feed and attractant to put in front of their cameras. The best attractant by far is apples. Just find a crab apple tree and load up for free. It works all season (except the rut).

·
Registered
419 Posts
U bet lol I have 3 apple trees in my yard and 2 pear trees I think the actually like the pears better I guess cause they r sweeter but 100% agree with u they take fruit over corn any day

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
U bet lol I have 3 apple trees in my yard and 2 pear trees I think the actually like the pears better I guess cause they r sweeter but 100% agree with u they take fruit over corn any day
To bad I don't have pear trees where I live!!

·
Registered
16,158 Posts
Where I hunt the deer will push apples, carrots, sugar beets, crab apples, and pears to the side for corn. But the deer will also push aside corn over a pile of white acorns.

I found acorns are the best, then corn, then apples where I hunt in Michigan.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
There isn't a single apple tree that I have found in my areas in MA. in NY, I am usually loaded, but this year is an almost totally nonexistent apple crop.

·
Registered
178 Posts
There isn't a single apple tree that I have found in my areas in MA. in NY, I am usually loaded, but this year is an almost totally nonexistent apple crop.
Where in MA? I've seen quite a few trees LOADED with them. This is the weekend I go and pour apples all over my spots, so I'll be stopped over at my 'apple tree spots', loading up a couple hundred pounds, and then dumping them off.
I usually do this 2-3x between now and 10/20. Good luck all!

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Where in MA? I've seen quite a few trees LOADED with them. This is the weekend I go and pour apples all over my spots, so I'll be stopped over at my 'apple tree spots', loading up a couple hundred pounds, and then dumping them off.
I usually do this 2-3x between now and 10/20. Good luck all!
I live in SE MA, zone 11. We just don't have much in the way of apples in our vicinity. Lots and lots of white oaks though...

·
Archery Addict
9,149 Posts
Ripe southern persimmons!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
No apple/pear trees in the area....thats exactly why you should plant them! Around these parts corn/beans/milo/wheat/acorns are everywhere, but if your the only one with fruit trees, and the deer figure out theyre good to eat - your in buisness! Obviously youll have to wait a couple years for the investment to pay off, but it sounds like a wise investment to me.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
No apple/pear trees in the area....thats exactly why you should plant them! Around these parts corn/beans/milo/wheat/acorns are everywhere, but if your the only one with fruit trees, and the deer figure out theyre good to eat - your in buisness! Obviously youll have to wait a couple years for the investment to pay off, but it sounds like a wise investment to me.
yep been saying this for a while. plant it once then pretty much kick back and watch them grow. mowing and weeding and some occasional fertilizer would probably give them a jump start.planted some white and crimson dogwood this spring back on the plantation. something been chewing on the leaves at deer height . need to get a camera on them but maybe they have a tasty leaf.

·
Registered
360 Posts
It depends where you are. Up north the deer love 'em. Here in central WI - I threw a bag down one year for the hell of it, they sat for weeks and rotted. There were deer tracks right through them. There aren't any apple trees for miles as far as I know though - maybe they didn't know what they were? Same story with pumpkins. Guess they can be picky with hundred of acres of alfalfa and beans/corn though.

·
kill'n deer, drink'n beer
9,744 Posts
I thought used tampons were the best attractant? :zip:

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Here in cwd zone you cant bait what so ever , so , a fruit bearing tree works good . I rely on trails mostly for trail cam work . I dont believe crab apple trees are what you mean , they are small and tart (dime size). Various varieties of edible apples yes and they are short lived feed but do work great when dropping.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
yep been saying this for a while. plant it once then pretty much kick back and watch them grow. mowing and weeding and some occasional fertilizer would probably give them a jump start.planted some white and crimson dogwood this spring back on the plantation. something been chewing on the leaves at deer height . need to get a camera on them but maybe they have a tasty leaf.
It wasn't quite this easy for me to plant apple trees on my farm here in MI. Where I hunt if I were to just plant an apple tree and let it go, the deer would eat the tree right off before it was waist high. I have to put a cage around them. I put a chicken wire cage around the trees high enough and in a big enough circle so that the deer can't reach in there to eat the new growth apple tree, at least for a few years. Once they got grown up a little it was ok, but I left the cage so that the deer don't rub them to death, lol.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts