Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Thanks in advance to all who reply. I'm stuck between two Cabelas deer carts, Choice #1 is the Cabelas Alum-i-Lite Game Cart ($119), which is aluminum, weighs 23 lbs and seems fairly compact so leaving it in the car during the season will not be too bad and it's reasonably light weight. "See the Cablas link below for a picture."

My second choice is the Cabelas Magnum Game Carrier ($99), which is steel and weighs 33lbs and is a little less compact (bulkier) than the alumi-lite model. "See the Cablas link below for a picture."

I'm stuck though, the Alumi-lite model only weighs 23lbs, less bulky to store in vehicle, but, may not be as rugged and some animal weight is still transferred to the handle to be carried by the hunter. The Magnum's "big" benefit is zero weight on the handle and more rugged,,,but it's heavier, bulkier...etc. Any first hand experience, advice, opinions would be greatly-greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Rob

----------------------------------------------------------
Choice #1 Cabelas Alum-i-Lite Game Cart (see link below)

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ...x=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=deer+cart&noImage=0
---------------------------------------------------------------
Choice #2 Cabelas Magnum Game Carrier (see link below)

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ...x=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=deer+cart&noImage=0

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I have used the Alum-i-lite for about 5 years now...despite being so light it is a tough cart...i just used mine to haul a refrigerator up 3 flights of steps to my daughters dorm room..i really like it...btw I had one of the steel ones...i really didnt like how heavy it was.

You may want to call Grady's outdoors...they used to have them wholesale...thats where i bought mine...but like i said that was years ago.

here is their link

http://gradysoutdoors.com/

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have the Cabela's Magnum Game Carrier that you are considering. I have had it for about 6-7 years and it has carried alot of deer out of the woods. It is in like new condition except for a scratches in the finish. Very sturdy cart.

If I ever wear this one out I will replace it with Cabela's Super Mag Hauler ($129.99) or the Collapsible Game Cart ($99.99). The reason is with my current cart the weight sits very high above the axle. If it is on a side hill or unneven terrain (over logs and rocks) the cart has a tendancy to tip over easily. The Magnum Game Carrier is very good on level, even terrain though. The Super Mag Hauler places the weight of the animal much lower, between the wheels right on top of the axle.

I do like the design of the carts though with no weight on the handle. I have had no problem taking deer out all by my self with these type of carts. The Alum-i-lte Game Cart looks like your sholders would be just as tired as your legs after using it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Carts

Whatever you do get one with the cart between the wheels and not over ...Deer make them top heavy and will turn over if you have to bring them threw the woods.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies so far, anyone else out there...

Thank so far. At this point I think I'm leaning towards the Alumi-lite cart...but want to get it right the first time. Someone mentioned that the Magnum cart may have more of a tendency to tip over on uneven terrain, which is classic Massachusetts hunting.

The jury is still out though...wonder if any else has a better price on this model besides cabelas??

Rob

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
I bought the Non-Typical last year and really like it. What's nice ins that you can fold it up and pack it in.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Deer Cart

I have the Super Mag Hauler from Cabelas. Works like a charm for hauling deer and bringing firewood back to my truck from the woods. Have had it for 7 years and never had a problem except for the weight. I also use it to haul my treestand, pack, and bow when going far back in. Lock it to atree while I hunt and then use it coming out again. For short trips I haul my stuff out and come back with the cart. Just like going to the supermarket:darkbeer:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Go with the beefy cart

I broke 2 carts last year. 1st was an Ameristep on it's 2nd deer of the season. The plastic spokes on one tire completely went out on a 140 lb deer in a swamp. The second cart was a one wheel 2 person old school cart (can't remember the style) where the wheel went bad again. This was on a 220 lb buck 2 miles in. I just purchased the Cabelas Supermag with hopes it will hold up.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I bought one at Walmart 2 years ago and it makes a better squirrel hauler than a deer cart. The carts wheels are too thin and they sink into the ground, especially if the ground is very wet. I used it last year to haul out a 205lb field dressed buck. I only had a 1/2 mile mostly flat haul, it took me and my buddy 1 hour of hard labor. We had to lift the thing numerous times as the wheels sank inch's deep in the earth, The spokes are also very flimsy.

The rest of the cart is fine with the exception of the skinny tires. I am looking into wether I can fit different tires and rims on it this year. I have found if there is snow on the ground a good sterdy plastic sled is priceless. I have one I modified with a heavy pull rope and its works slick.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I use a rope and a strong back. I think it is part of the hunt.........unless you have a physical impairment or age has caught up to you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a roll up blue plastic sled I purchase at a tag sale for 50 cents I use to drag deer. I punched 6 grommet holes in the perimeter and use my drop cord to lash the deer to the plastic sled. The plastic sled really does a great job of reducing friction between the ground and the deer making dragging much easier. The plastic sled rolls up to a tube of about six inches in diameter and 18 inches in length and stores neatly under the back seat of the hunting truck.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I have used the alum i lite since the late 90's. I would buy something else. There is way to much weight at the handle and it can be physically hard on you if you get an average size deer 125 to 150 pounds.They are lite and fold up but that is the best part of the cart. The wheels are to small also. I stongly urge you to buy another type. By the way I have carted out around 35 to 40 deer with it so I do know what I'm talking about. The only reason why I still use it because it does work and the money to buy the new one.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Why buy when you can make?

The super mag hauler looks like it would be a nice one. It's at Cabelas

·
Registered
54 Posts
versa cart

I use the versa cart. Angled wheels greatly aid on side hills and there is no weight on the handle. The angled wheels also help when pulling over a limb or a log, pull one wheel over, then the other with out rolling the cart over. This cart also helps when going down steep hills. If you have used other carts the weight of the deer and the way the handles are designed makes it tough from keeping the cart from overtaking you when going down hills. The versa cart just let the handle go and the back of the deer drags on the ground. The only draw back is that it is not collapsable, a little heavier, + cost a little more but in my opinion worth it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts