Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you just won the lottery....if money was no object....if you didn't have a wife to complain about it....which dehydrator would you buy???? I have never owned one but will as soon as i figure out which one to get. I have heard the biggest pain about these things is cleaning them. Is there such thing as one made with non stick surfaces where you put the meat???? I dont necessarily need/want one that is fast. But to hear most guys talk about it, they would make more jerky or use the thing alot more if it wasn't so hard to clean. Which one is the best???? Thanks in advance for any info or tips you can provide.

·
kill'n deer, drink'n beer
9,759 Posts
our big commercial cabelas one works great!

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I have the regular cabelas 10 tray and it does an oustanding job so for $90 i really would not need a different one.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Your oven. Set the temp at 175 degrees and it will make all the jerky you want. Use grilling skewers through one end of the strips then hang them on the top oven rack.

Meat Cuisine Food Goat meat Dish

·
Registered
280 Posts
NESCO GARDENMASTER. Bass pro sells them. Much larger trays.Ive used 10 trays at a time.It has much larger wattage output.Stay away from lower wattage units,they take forever.Using a stiff bristle brush,hot soapy water,it cleans up great.Not as pricey as some others.:wink:

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I buy the ones Walmart sells, they are like $40.00. After I finish making my jerky I soak the trays in water for 2 or 3 days and all the stuff just falls off. The trays last for a couple of years before they start to break up. They make jerky in about 7 to
7 1/2 hours per load @ 3 to 4 loads per large ham so figure 2 days to do a ham.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Your oven. Set the temp at 175 degrees and it will make all the jerky you want. Use grilling skewers through one end of the strips then hang them on the top oven rack.

View attachment 1494523
How long in the oven? (roughly)

I use a dehydrator, one of the round table-top kind, and it works great. I've had several, and they're all about the same. I put it on a timer, so I can set it and go to work or bed. I think, as the OP asked, if money or inconvenience were no object, that a smokehouse/smoker would be best.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I use a Nesco that I bought at Wally World a few years ago... has worked perfectly and made a lot of jerky. That said, if money wasnt an object, I have plans drawn up to build my own. There's a company here that builds stainless steel electronics enclosures for the telecom industry, and one of their smaller cabinets configured with 120mm fans and 600 watts of thermostatically controlled heat would make a ton of jerky at a time!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
How long in the oven? (roughly)

I use a dehydrator, one of the round table-top kind, and it works great. I've had several, and they're all about the same. I put it on a timer, so I can set it and go to work or bed. I think, as the OP asked, if money or inconvenience were no object, that a smokehouse/smoker would be best.
Depends on how thick you cut the meat but usually between 8 and 9 hours. Some people say to crack the oven door open but I can't tell that it makes any difference.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I prefer making my jerky in the oven, that way I'm assured the meat reaches the proper temps for the recommended amount of time to kill nasty crap like e coli and salmonella. I also prefer making my jerky from ground meat, and find the oven dries more efficiently (and faster) than a dehydrator.

200 degrees for about 2.5 - 3 hours and you have great jerky.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I got a Nesco Snackmaster for Christmas and I can make 3 lbs of ground venison jerky in about 4 hrs. That will fill a 1 gallon Ziplock bag. It came with 4 trays, but you can add more up to 12 trays. I fill up 6 trays for a batch. Just make sure you dehydrate to at least 160 degrees F to kill bacteria. Most of the time the jerky doesn't stick to the trays and I just hand wash in the sink. If you want to do a lot of jerky at one time I would get one from Cabela's, but if it's just for home use every once in a while a counter-top model will work.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Depends on how thick you cut the meat but usually between 8 and 9 hours. Some people say to crack the oven door open but I can't tell that it makes any difference.
I crack the oven door open slightly using a wooden spoon to hold the door open. It drys the meat a little better IMO.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I do my whole deer(s) in jerky every year. I use to have one the Walmart plastic Nesco ones but they don't do much at a time and are a pain in the butt to clean. I spray with Pam and soak and scrub. If you just do one or two batches, it's OK, if you have it going for a week or so (which gives you about 3 large ZipLoc's full) it's such a pain to clean I dread it. Even soaking for day's it's just baked on. Since the trays are plastic, you can't really scrub them aggressively. So, I just bought a full stainless model with 10 large stainless trays at Sportsman's Warehouse. It was $199. I'm soaking the jerky in my marinade right now and haven't used the machine yet, but it looks to be a well built unit.

So, moral of the story; if you're just doing a little the Nesco is nice. If you want to do about a 1/4 of a deer or more, get a bigger stainless one.

Here's of picture of the jerky in the old Nesco unit.

·
John
471 Posts
i would get one from cabelas but we just bought one from walmart and made jerky in the dorm room and it came out pretty good.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I've been looking at the Excalibur, Sedona and Cabela 80L. Excalibur is tried and true but many users complain about the fan noise and having to open the front cover, which lets out heat, to check on product. Sedona is a digital version with a glass door & upper and lower fans. Cabela's unit has a glass front door, 10 tray capacity and 4.5 out of 5 stars based on 212 user reviews. I'm going to give the Cabela unit a try. The customer service rep informed me that I could return it within 90 days if not satisfied.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts