Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on another site too, but i'm sure i'll get alot more info here since there's so much more traffic on this site... I was wanting a Diaphragm elk call that's easy to use. I would like one that cow calls, maybe calf calls, bugles, chuckles, etc. Aka the whole works. But if it's too hard to find one for a beginner that does all of this, then probably just an easy cow call diaphragm call would be about all that I need. I know this is how alot of people have success elk hunting is just using a cow call. With archery season only a month away, just not sure I can master all of the sounds in time. I have a Point Blank "Locater reed" diaphragm call now, but just can't get it for some reason, no matter how much I try. Is there easier ones out there to use? Like some of the Primos ones? I just say primos because I know I can pick one of those up without having to order a call or drive an hour to get one. My local store has a few versions of that brand.
Thanks!!

·
id rather be hunting
1,480 Posts
Contact elknut1 on here. He really helped me out. Can't say enough good things about him.

·
Registered
502 Posts
The elk101.com All-star call is a great sounding easy to use diaphram for a beginner. It sounds worlds better than my crappy primos 4 pack that I bought.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The best way to get a comprehensive evaluation of all cow elk calls is to log onto www.roehuntingresources.com. Chris just came out with his cow elk series, it's the best stuff out there.
http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http://youtu.be/2NjeEGo4h_o&h=PAQDXE9A_
i got nuthin from going to the link above. what gives. when i tried to watch the videos they were just a short description of the videos that are for sale or something with no actual sounds. and then on top of that i think it asked for $49.95 to be a member of RHR. i got nuthin.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Elkslaya - embedded here is the Intro Video for the Series COArcher mentioned. We have all of our Educational Resources on-line, via on-line video streaming; our "recreational" videos are free, the "meat and potatoes" videos are through a variety of options. The Series COArcher mentioned is open right now to Annual Members (what you saw) who have free access to ALL the materials on there - elk, turkey, deer, etc. The Elk Module itself (...just elk videos) "opens" on the 31st. ...at that time we'll also have the Understanding and Using Bugles and Bugle Tubes video series.

...here's the intro, then I'll add a few thoughts in the next post.

Chris Roe - Roe Hunting Resources

·
Registered
64 Posts
Not knowing how experienced you are with mouth diaphragms, period, I'll be general and hope I'm not telling you something you don't already know.

Mouth calls have to FIT properly in order to: 1) Give you good sound quality, and 2) Make it so its easy for you to learn. The right sized call makes all the difference. With that said, if you are a beginner, I would recommend getting either the elk call variety pack from Primos or Bugling Bull Game Calls - both use the palate plate, or Dome style calls (which many consider to be some of the best). DO NOT get the variety packs that have all the same size and style, get the packs that have different sizes and styles, so you can find the one that works for you, THEN explore the different calls of that STYLE and SIZE. ...and don't worry about single reed vs. double reed as of yet...some double reeds are just as easy to blow/use as single reeds - FIT is more important right now.

In the mouth call video in our Series, we go over - IN DEPTH - different mouth calls from both of the Manufacturers I mentioned, how to use them, how to get the best sound out of them, and their advantages/disadvantages in relation to other calls. ...obviously that Series covers using them for cow calling, the upcoming Series will go even further into depth on using them for bugling.

Good luck!

http://roehuntingresources.com

·
Registered
7,849 Posts
The elk101.com All-star call is a great sounding easy to use diaphram for a beginner. It sounds worlds better than my crappy primos 4 pack that I bought.
Elknut also sells this reed. It's the easiest reed on the face of the earth to cow call and bugle with. Almost takes no air pressure to get good results. I would say that it's your best bet.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
i tried a few and the one i had the easiest time with was the primos mini sonic dome. they come in single, double and triple reed options. pick up the single reed for a few bucks before getting the double and/or triple. once you get used to it, it is great for cow/calf/spike sounds.

once i got comfortable with that call, it was easier for me to use other brands as well.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
For a beginner & only one month left you will have to be very dedicated in feeling confident in using a mouth reed or diaphragm, they are both the same thing! Yes, a single reed will be able to do all the sounds you mentioned & more, it's all in the practice & using the right reed for a newer caller.

Stay with a light tensioned single reed call, there's no need to go with a double or triple reed it will only take you longer to master & you will be limited in quality sounds!

Some of the best to use are Mellow Yellow & All Star reeds, they are lightly stretched latex & are very user friendly, you will learn quickest with this type or anyother lightly stretched single reed!

In your upcoming hunt you only need to learn 5 sounds, with these sounds you will be able to mix & match these sounds to any elk encounter you will come across! Grunting & Chuckling are the toughest sounds to master for most callers & are the least of sounds needed, concentrate on others instead! Here they are!

#-1 different levels of volume & pitch cow calling! #-2 Estrus Buzz, #-3 Nervous Grunts in different tones loud to soft, #-4 A Challenging Bull Scream, #-5 A Location Type Bugle! For extra sounds consider Voice groans & squeals & cow calls with your voice! Practice these things & you will be able to adapt to any encounter thrown your way! Now you will need to know when to use each of these, you have time if you are serious & accept the challenge!! (grin)

ElkNut1

ElkNut1

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,368 Posts
Mouth calls have to FIT properly
Yep. I have a hard time with all the palate plate calls, but the Primos Mini Sonic Domes work great for me for cow calling. For bugling I haven't found anything that works for me better than the Carlton's standard diaphragms. I prefer the 2.5 and triple for that. His single works great for cow calling too.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Not knowing how experienced you are with mouth diaphragms, period, I'll be general and hope I'm not telling you something you don't already know.

Mouth calls have to FIT properly in order to: 1) Give you good sound quality, and 2) Make it so its easy for you to learn. The right sized call makes all the difference. With that said, if you are a beginner, I would recommend getting either the elk call variety pack from Primos or Bugling Bull Game Calls - both use the palate plate, or Dome style calls (which many consider to be some of the best). DO NOT get the variety packs that have all the same size and style, get the packs that have different sizes and styles, so you can find the one that works for you, THEN explore the different calls of that STYLE and SIZE. ...and don't worry about single reed vs. double reed as of yet...some double reeds are just as easy to blow/use as single reeds - FIT is more important right now.

In the mouth call video in our Series, we go over - IN DEPTH - different mouth calls from both of the Manufacturers I mentioned, how to use them, how to get the best sound out of them, and their advantages/disadvantages in relation to other calls. ...obviously that Series covers using them for cow calling, the upcoming Series will go even further into depth on using them for bugling.

Good luck!

http://roehuntingresources.com

i'm still a little confused, so would you mind showing us and letting us hear a a few different elk sounds and what situations you would use them in and what the sounds mean to the elk? perhaps you could post some youtube videos if you have some?

·
Registered
254 Posts
i prefer the mellow yellow from bugling bulls for cow and calf calling and the brown one for bugling. very easy to use and have great results with them.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Another really easy to master reed is the Primos top pin its the one with yellow tape and pink latex. It's mostly a cow calling reed but you can get some small bull sounds out of it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I am in the same boat, going elk hunting in Co in a month, and have no idea how to call or what calls to buy. I just called Paul Medel (AKA elknut), on the phone, and talked to him about 45 minutes and He explained a lot of different things i should work on. He was very helpfull and willing to take the time to explain things. I did buy a combo package from him, but that was after he had helped understand what i should work on. I am hoping that going through this material will help increase my chances for success. Thanks Paul.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Been bugling in my truck on the way to work lately and I am tellin ya... these primos calls are not real consistant at all! I too am lookin for a new mouth diaphram... I guess I am going to have to pony up the cash and talk to elknut... problem is, I don't have the cash... oh well, looks like its gana be a hoochie mama and terminator bugle year again. The primos calls all sound so fake to me, but i guess its all about what an elk hears huh.

·
Registered
64 Posts
BowHunter4Lif

If you don't mind me asking, which Primos mouth call(s) do you have, and which bugle tube are you blowing through? Primos reeds break a bit harder (i.e. take a bit more back pressure) than others, and depending on the mouth call (Hyper Plate), it may require a bit of "breaking in" time due to reed thickness. Try the mouth reed with the Terminator tube, but WITH the mouthpiece still attached (without the blue reed if you want, or you can leave it on and not engage the blue reed). ...see what that does for you.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I posted this on another site too, but i'm sure i'll get alot more info here since there's so much more traffic on this site... I was wanting a Diaphragm elk call that's easy to use. I would like one that cow calls, maybe calf calls, bugles, chuckles, etc. Aka the whole works. But if it's too hard to find one for a beginner that does all of this, then probably just an easy cow call diaphragm call would be about all that I need. I know this is how alot of people have success elk hunting is just using a cow call. With archery season only a month away, just not sure I can master all of the sounds in time. I have a Point Blank "Locater reed" diaphragm call now, but just can't get it for some reason, no matter how much I try. Is there easier ones out there to use? Like some of the Primos ones? I just say primos because I know I can pick one of those up without having to order a call or drive an hour to get one. My local store has a few versions of that brand.
Thanks!!
Can you get sound out of the call? Does it sound like the air is rushing by the call?
Lets go step by step here. Step 1, chew up the tape, it must be soft to form the needed seal in the mouth. It also needs to fit your mouth. I stay away from any call that has plastic coated tape because it will never seal well.
Step two, horseshoe open end to your nose put the call up in your teeth as close to your nose as possible. Once the call is in position say SSSSHHHHOW, heavy on the SH. This will put your tongue in the right spot on the call and you should get sound.
Step 3 get a single note and hold it, when you can hold it for 3-5 seconds with no breaks in sound you are ready for the next step.
Step 4 learn to raise and lower pitch. This is done by adding tongue pressure and speeding up air flow, the pitch will go up. To bring it back down reverse the process. If you can get 3 clear different pitches from your reed you can do any elk call. The rest is voice and call together.
Let me explain reeds. They come in two main reed thickness .003 and .0035. The companies stretch them in different tensions from front to back and side to side. They add layers and cuts to get pitch, rasp and volume out of the call. For a beginner Chris and Paul start people on a single, I start them on doubles. In my opinion a double is capable of a wider array of calls and you might as well learn to use it.
A .003 is a good choice to start with, the call takes less tongue and air pressure to get it to work. The only way you are going to get good with a call is to practice. The house, car or some other place where you can listen to sounds of elk and repeat them. The single best set of sounds on the market today come from Paul[Elknut1], period! Don't think about getting Paul's tapes and DVD, buy some and listen, then repeat the sounds. I can teach people the mechanics of calling if they are sitting in front of me because I don't make tapes but you need more than that. You need to hear elk and copy those sounds. Talk to Paul.
Again the major way to master a call is to practice. When I was on Hunter's Specialties Pro Staff I practiced everyday to remain polished enough to call against Cory and the other big dogs. Sadly I don't practice enough and am not that polished anymore.
Any one[except maybe Jake or others with serious gag reflex] can be very good callers if they are willing to work at it. You have tools out there now I didn't have when I started, use them and get good.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts