Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I received my hunting packet from the Flying D ranch, and they do not allow any mechanicals. My elk hunt starts Sept. 26 through Oct. 3. For the past several years I have only used Rocky Mtn. Snypers or Rage. My Infinity and SR71 are both shooting darts, so now I need to find a good fixed blade broadhead that flies good and gets good penatration. If a hunter draws blood on an elk, that animal is considered harvested, so I want to make dang sure my equipment does the job. I can't imagine losing a bull elk after paying that much. Can anyone recommend a few broadheads to start shooting? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Shuttle T's fly great and leave nice holes

·
Catch us if you can!
5,716 Posts
if it were me i would shoot a Shuttle T or NAP Hellrazor. I've never done anything good with slick tricks but their army will come a' marching when they catch wind of this

·
Registered
227 Posts
razor tricks, grizztricks, g5 montecs, muzzies, good heavy broadheads and good shot placement. its all a preferrence. i'v seen guys up here use all i listed on canadian moose with great results. still comes down to placement.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
steelforce

There are a lot of good heads out there.
I have settled on Steelforce Phathead 125's....ask fo rthe wide ones (1 1/8")....I cannot say enough about them....tough, sharp, and they fly exceptionally well.
The .080 main blades are as heavy as you can get and they penetrate very well, also.
Look at em....you will be glad you did.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Shuttle T's fly great and leave nice holes
My favorites! Also, when you leave the Airport in Belgrade, Big Sky Archery is on the way to the Flying D. Stop in and check your Bow and pick up another pack of Shuttle Ts. :shade:

Mostly good luck hunting and get a Big Bull! Ted has lots of em! :D

·
Stick Flinger
819 Posts
I shoot 100gr G5 montecs and 125gr magnus stingers. I stropped the stingers on leather and can shave the hair off my arm. Even though I've been bow hunting 4 yrs and have yet to shoot at anything but grouse(with a judo) I know the above broadheads will do the job with propper placement.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I've only shot 2 elk in my life, and both were with a 100 grain Wac 'em Triton. These are some awesome heads. 5x6 bull double lung and buried up in the opposite shoulder (all blades still intact)...bull only went about 75 yards. Cow same result...They will be on my FMJ's again come September!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Go with the F-15 fixed blade by Carbon Express. I tested this against the montec's G5, Rage, Grim reapers, Muzzy. Penetration through a new broadhead target (KING) The F-15 out penetrated them all. The closest in penetration to the F-15 was the Montec which was 4.5-5 inches behind. All shoot out of same bow all on CE Maxima Hunters. The F-15 just out performed them all on the target. If it can penetrate that much through the target, you can guess what will be on the tips of my arrows when I am ready to shoot for food.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I shoot a SR myself, I like NAP Thunderheads for three reasons first is they are very accurate second very tough and VERY sharp third you get 6 BH's for the same $ as most others

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
There is no such thing as a "best elk broadhead." It would be much easier to list the ones to stay away from.

Whatever you're shooting, just make sure you shoot it well and know your limitations... ie; energy still left in the arrow at shooting distance and angle of the animal at the shot. It won't matter much broadside at 20, but will it work quartering at 45?

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've had great results shooting slick trick 125 magnums. Very accurate at 280 fps off my bow. They have always grouped with my fieldtips.

·
Embrace the suck!
7,673 Posts
Likewise

I'm in the same boat as you are. I shot my elk in 2008 with a Rage 2 because I couldn't get my bow to shoot fixed heads. I'm going to make a few adjustments this summer and give it another shot. I've narrowed my choices down to Magnus Stingers or Buzzcuts, G5 Strikers, or Slick Trick Magnums. I'm also considering the Trophy Taker Terminal T's. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I've only shot 2 elk in my life, and both were with a 100 grain Wac 'em Triton. These are some awesome heads. 5x6 bull double lung and buried up in the opposite shoulder (all blades still intact)...bull only went about 75 yards. Cow same result...They will be on my FMJ's again come September!
Wacems are a good head! They are very similar in design to g5 Strikers, TT terminal T lock. I would recommend any of these.

·
Registered
462 Posts
G5 Montec

My dad and I have shot the G5 Montec's for several years. He shot his 5x5 at 20 yds. A little far back, but still in the lungs. Not sure how it happened, but when the thing fell over the broadhead ended up in the elks back leg. The G5 broke it's femur in 2 and there was barely a scratch on the blades.

I know what you're thinking B..S..! I would think the same, but I promise. After that I will never shoot another fixed blade. They are tough and shoot extremely well at 280fps+.

As always, you have to have your bow tuned for proper flight with a fixed blade. There is no such thing as your bow NOT being able to shoot a fixed blade.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
"if it were me I would shoot a Shuttle T or NAP Hellrazor. I've never done anything good with slick tricks but their army will come a' marching when they catch wind of this"

Ok, Hoyt1021, I'm in a fun mood going fishing in the morning so I'll bite. How could you do anything good with those heads and not Tricks?

You can compare the Standards to those heads even though the Standards cut about 18% more than those 3 blade heads for better blood and holes.

Strength, guys are getting 30 animals and counting on one ferrule, with the Alcatraz bladelock they are as strong as either of those heads. The President of the South Africa Bowhunters Association told me one reason they shot Tricks there, besides their performance on game was that they shot broadheads all the time practicing and 3D and they found Tricks stood up to the abuse where other heads wouldn't.

And you have sharp thick Lutz Solingen blades, legendary accuracy, great penetration, "slug holes".

They perform great in the lab and in the field, theres a reason they have an "army". They revolutionized the whole broadhead market with all the companies following with their heads trying to compete with them, including the heads you mentioned

If you say you've never had any luck with Tricks, I'll take you at your word. The follow up question, though, is do you attribute that to the fault of the head or the fault of the shooter? And if its the head, what can the choices you mentioned do that the Standard won't?

BTW, could have the VP of Engineering for Hoyt tell you all the luck he and others there have had with them if you are a Hoyt fan. People in the industry who aren't getting paid to shoot something else shoot Tricks just like the "army" on here.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Terminal t lock

I have used the shuttle t-locks in the past but am going with the terminal t-locks this year. Check them out ........ Very tough and fly the best for me.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts