Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been trying out some rage 2 blade and 3 blade heads 100 grain. and the NAP spitfire pro 100 . both seam to fly great, but 2 out of the 5 shots with the NAP SPITFIRE I had the blade open before impact and once with the 2 blade rage , what 100 gr. expandable heads do you guys like in fast bows that wont open

·
Registered
20 Posts
i'm researching the same for my full sized stryker. i was thinking about the undertaker/meat seeker with 2 elastic bands but i e-mailed bear and they advised against two bands as they said the head probably would not open. they said one band would keep the head closed but i have my doubts as there's a big difference between 300fps and 400fps+. i read reviews of spitfires begining to open in flight after only a couple of shots. i may wind up using wasp jak-hammers as it's OK to double band them.

·
Registered
21,713 Posts
I tried the rage 2 blade shot great but some times would open in flight. And when they did shot real bad. Also tried the wasp jackhammers with one band they would open up added a very small band did not open in flight but did not open all the time in the target. The nap spitfires done will i never had one open or if they did they still hit with field tips out to 70yds. And they opened in the target every time. The best i have found is the Gators but i think they are going to quite making them.They havent open in flight and opened every time in the target. Im shooting a strike force with a 445gr arrow

·
Registered
206 Posts
I will have to check into those smoke broadheads, when i was checking out the site i saw two guys with testimonials that i know. The company must be in sw pennsylvania.

·
Banned
24,135 Posts
After testing expandables for several months

out of the SCM Twinbow II Six Pack, which is the ultimate test (high draw weight) there is only one head, without modification, that I've tested so far that absolutely will not open until it hits the target. It's the Rocky Mountain Gator XP, sold only through Bass Pro and from all I can tell, is planned to be discontinued. It's an awesome high draw weight expandable that uses no rubber bands, latches, or other mechanical means to hold the blades in. The blades are forced shut by arrow acceleration and are only opened when the small fingers on the front end of the blades hit the target. I also put the head in my electric drill and turned it on high to see if high speed spinning would open them and it does not. I also like the cutting tip. If you try this head and like it please call Rocky Mountain and tell them to not discontinue the Gator XP. They are strangely silent and reluctant to communicate with consumers (IMHO). I guess they don't want to take any attention away from their beloved Rage head that IMHO is not as durable and dependable as the Gator XP or 2 blade Snyper. JMO

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I have heard great thinks about the GATOR on other sites , but never about XBOWS . I do agree there is a lot of hype about the RAGES but I dont see why they are so great . in testing they dont live up .(imo) thanks for all the great feedback

Just went on line and orderd 4 packs , wow $20.00 a pack , cant wait to get them for a try out

·
Registered
20 Posts
i was also thinking about the TR sidewinders. i've good things about them out of crossbows too but they're pretty much a one shot deal at game

1 - 11 of 11 Posts