• G5 Montec

Votes: 48 24.6%
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I need some help. I am trying to decide which head is the best for me. I hunt whitetails only, and I thought about trying mechanicals, but I don't like the fact of having the chance the blades won't open. I'm torn between these 3, and I know it is a loaded question, but I am going to let the poll decide which is the head I'm going to buy. I can't decide. The three choices are slick trick standards, g5 strikers, or g5 montecs. Please vote and give me your reason why you voted the way you did. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I voted for the tricks but you should give stingers a look as well Magnus are probably my first choice

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Out of whats listed I chose strikers....but as other poster said give Magnus a look stinger buzzcuts!!!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Montec

I have not shoot the striker . I have shot and still own ST's. They are very nice flying and above avg in durability,
i can't say enough for the Montec flys well and very durable . I shoot thru the rt front shoulder of a 200#+ buck at a 1/4 to angle and it went back and hit the last rib on the opposite side. The arrow broke off inside & he fell w/in 40yds . I found the arrow & head when I gutted him . I cleaned the head after and it looks perfect.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
there durability is WAY above average I shot this one through the spine at 5 yards and it is in perfect shape considering the fact. I shot 3 deer this year and all the heads are still perfect just replace blades and go.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Isn't Muzzy a fixed head?

·
Registered
24,903 Posts
for fixed i like magnus buzzcuts and crimson talon xt heads.

they fly the best for me

·
Livin' in a van....
8,473 Posts
if its sharp and flies straight you're gonna be fine. All 3 of the deer you've listed have killed hundreds of deer. They've also wounded deer because of poor shots. Try a pack of all of them and see what you like. you can recoup a good chunk in the classifieds of what you don't like

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I too tried the Slick Tricks for the first time this year. They fly real well out of my Katera. It also broke front leg bone of a buck without falling apart. Pretty tough.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I am considering the same thing as I write this post.

I just bought a pack of the G5's and a pack of the Magus Snuffers. My reasoning is simple, I like the cut on contact style and these 3 bladed models make sharpening a breeze.

With that being said and still waiting for my new arrows I have not been able to shoot either head as of this post.

But let me tell you what I think so far : The G5's are awesome, they are a solid piece of S.S. - they sharpen very well and looks like they will be very tough (good strong point).

The Snuffer's are 3 separate pieces of S.S. welded together, they also sharpen well and are about 1/4" longed than the G5's (both have the same cutting dia). I like the idea of a little longer cutting edge, because it gives you a little less angle and should cut with less effort.

So at this point I like the G5's stronger looking tips and Snuffer longer blades.

I will be shooting both tips by this weekend and I will let you know how I like their flights.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Hoyt,
broadheads are as much a personal choice as food is.. My advice to you is try some heads out on targets and go with what one gives you confidence. The last thing you need to be thinking about in a treestand is your broadhead, best of luck to you with what ever head you go with........

·
Registered
503 Posts
Out of those, I'd have to go with the Montec but I prefer Magnus Snuffer SS second to none. They're all good heads though, I shot ST's for a long time until discovering the Snuffer SS this year.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Out of those, I'd have to go with the Montec but I prefer Magnus Snuffer SS second to none. They're all good heads though, I shot ST's for a long time until discovering the Snuffer SS this year.
Can I ask why you perfer the Snuffer over the G5's

Thanks

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I voted tricks, and I will use them as long as they make them. That being said, the other 2 are great heads also and I have taken deer with both of them. I think all 3 heads perform flawlessly, but the tricks seem to do alot more damage. Atleast in my experiences, they leave larger holes. Also, I buy my tricks for about half the price of the G-5's.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts