Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best, lightest, and quietest fletching for my GT's. I am gonna shoot fixed blades only no mechanicals. Thanks for input!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
I am using GTs and Slick Tricks fletched with 3" helical feathers (some parabolic and some shield cut). I prefer them over anything else I've tried. Fast, light (all three weigh less than a single Blazer :eek: with 3X the steering) and awesome broadhead guidance.

·
Registered
419 Posts
4' feathers for me. I've shot many fletchings but I get the best flight out of feathers with fixed broadheads. Feathers make more noise in flight but I have yet to have a deer jump my string shooting feathers but I do have my bow whisper quiet.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have been lookin at the rayzor feathers from gateway they are a shield cut shape i believe anything on these....thanks

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
i have been lookin at the rayzor feathers from gateway they are a shield cut shape i believe anything on these....thanks
Personally, I think they're a bit small for fixed blades, but that's my opinion. I cut my own 3" shields and make them kind of high profile (5/8" like a Rayzr) and they kick butt. Just picture a Rayzr with almost twice the surface area. They still only weigh 1.7 grains a piece.

·
Registered
307 Posts
i use the 3 inch flex-fletch with my montecs and they fly freakin awsome.....

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
I use the FF Flash with great results. They are light, compact and very durable. My arrows are 31" long and I use large BH's and they fly exactly like my FP's; even the 1.5" SF's.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
I recommend 4 fletch with Duravanes 2" fusion vanes. My Muzzy BHs are virtually as accurate as target shafts with this combination. I do shoot a slightly stiff shaft out of my Monster bow also.

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
4,228 Posts
The AAE Max Hunters work great for me

·
Registered
754 Posts
I get great results with 2 inch AAE Max Hunter vanes. I shoot G5 strikers.

When shooting Fixed blade broadheads with small 2 inch vanes you must pick out smallish compact broadheads with a cutting diameter of 1 - 1 1/8 inch. Also I believe you should put on the maximum helical possible for your vane and arrow combination while still allowing proper adhesion (Vane sitting properly on shaft.) It is also more crucial that you properly tune your bow. Shorter vanes work great for getting proper clearance with drop away rests. Gives the rest more time to drop. They are more forgiving in that aspect when comparing them to 4 or 3 in vanes. Feathers have give to them and shouldn't ever be much of a problem no matter what length. However feathers are often noisier and do not hold up well when they are exposed to rain.

To answer your question without being completely biased towards one product, I do believe that the best fletching would be a stiff 3 inch vane fletched helical. They would give you more steering propeties over 2 inch vanes and give you another inch of clearance with drop away rests when comparing them to 4 inch vanes making tuning a tad bit easier. Maybe give the new 3 inch Fusion vanes a look.

·
Shootingairborne
10,575 Posts
When I got back form Iraq in 06 I went with Blazer's. They have been awesome on any brand of arrow I sold. That is what I stocked in my shop. Ever once in a blue moon i did some 4" AAE fletchings. Really doesn't matter. Just make sure the bow is tuned.....:darkbeer:

Good luck.:wink:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
ttt

I like blazers, work well for me

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I sell a lot of Gt arrows/shafts and get to try each out.(have to) I have used blazer, vane tec, fusion, ff, and countless others. In the 2-4" size I find that most will perform just fine. Some have sticking problems, some you have to jump through loops for the fletching process, so I found the vane tec and the fusion to be the easest to fletch. Just clean the shaft, glue and shoot. I use a slick trick bh and AMG's new tapered smart shaft.

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
4" feathers, they even control the older larger style broadheads... i shoot the razorbacks and that is a wide flat surface blade and routinely get 3" groups as far as 60 yards with them

·
Registered
18 Posts
try the new 3" fusion vanes. they work great for me. not as tall as the 2" so the are easier to clear and they fly great.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts