Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently doing a hard case for my recurve bow right now and I'm just wondering what foam you guys would recommend and how you would go at cutting it into the shapes that you need.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I managed to scrounge some HDPE from packaging at work. It's supposed to be available from upholstery shops, but I've never tried.

While I cut my current case insert w/ a filet knife, one of my reasons for getting a CNC milling kit is to use it to cut inserts.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I used a hack saw blade on mine (sans hack saw frame), just go slow and make sure you're cutting straight up and down.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have looked into this before from what I have seen the best way to do it is to use a hot-wire cutter. You can either buy one or make one yourself there's a lot of information on the web about it for gun cases.

·
Registered
278 Posts
i cut neatly with a knife then put a 12x12 inch bit of cleaned up steel plate on the stove to touch the edges on to seal and straighten and i looks sweet as

·
Registered
655 Posts
electric knife

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I have used a hot knife. Just an old knife and a propane torch.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
There is a place that here that replaces the foam in couch, chair and boat cushions.They say that they have all kinds of density and shapes.

It is called Custom Foam you may have something similar in your area.I am going to check them out them for some foam to put inside my soft case that doesn't have straps inside.Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Some of the fabric stores sell foam but the high density stuff is $$

·
Registered
89 Posts
You may want to consider an Ether foam, I'm pretty sure this is what is used to make the egg crate foam for gun cases. A higher density would hold the bow very well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts