Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am a cadet recurve shooter and am looking to be at around 40# in the near future. I currently pull somewhere around 34# out of my 27" prodigy rx and medium 32# quattros.

What are the most forgiving/best shooting formula limbs?

Any tips on increasing poundage?

Happy shooting! :)

·
Genesis 21:20
20,766 Posts
Forgive me for suggesting this, but have you seen the scores put up with quattro limbs? I would say they are more than capable for any cadet archer alive. Personally, I would not recommend a limb for a cadet that was more expensive than a WinEx because the archer will outgrow them in probably less than a year, and certainly less than 2 years.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, so your saying quattros are already overkill? In that case, should I try to find used quattros at a higher weight?

·
Shootin and Cussin
22,930 Posts
I kind of agree with what has been said.

A couple of questions for you. How old are you? How tall are you? Are you still growing?

·
12 stepper for gear...
3,834 Posts
Increasing poundage is all about doing the work, if you are currently dominating 34#, I would recommend 2 more stages. A set of 36# and then your final set of 40#. You will actually be able to get more than 40# out of the 40#s as you are seeing with your 32#s, but that will allow for tuning and such.

The best way to increase (and maintain) is always arrow volume (while maintaining quality).
SPTs are going to be a great friend, and worst enemy.
Do a full body workout 3 times per week and respect rest days.
Lots of protein and good nutrition.
DON'T rush it.

Quattros are great limbs. Can only assume that the new limbs will be greater, but they are the latest and greatest. Do you want to drop that kind of money if you are planning on increasing poundage?

As others said above, you need to take into account where you are in your growth cycle, and most importantly how you are currently managing the weight you are pulling.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@SHPoet I am about 16 years old and 5' 9.5". The doctor says I still have some growing but not that much.

@bobnikon Great advise thank you. I can practice for 4 hours at a time no problem. Good point, how much poundage adjustment could I get with tiller? Do you think I could work up to 40# in one step? If so, what is the best way to do it, and how long do you think it will take? My plan is to get high end limbs at 40 ish pounds which i will shoot for a long time and keep my current limbs for form practice or sell them. Is that a smart move?

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Save some money and stick with used quattros until you are finished growing and at your desired weight then spring for new ones....no sense in spending the extra 30-40% on new when you might be done with them in 6 months.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
@SHPoet I am about 16 years old and 5' 9.5". The doctor says I still have some growing but not that much.

@bobnikon Great advise thank you. I can practice for 4 hours at a time no problem. Good point, how much poundage adjustment could I get with tiller? Do you think I could work up to 40# in one step? If so, what is the best way to do it, and how long do you think it will take? My plan is to get high end limbs at 40 ish pounds which i will shoot for a long time and keep my current limbs for form practice or sell them. Is that a smart move?
Making an 8# jump isn't wise...you'll either tire out quickly and learn bad habbits or you'll suffer an injury from stubbornness (ask me how I know :p)

36s are a good next step, find them as cheap as you can find them and work the poundage up as you dominate the weight....then go for 40s

·
Genesis 21:20
20,766 Posts
Keep in mind too that as you grow, so will your draw length and therefore so will your draw weight, without adjusting a thing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
And with growing, it won't just be height. You will fill out too. Think Zac Efron circa the High School Musical movies versus now.

I agree with the others... Save your money and economize, especially since you are so young and intending to increase weight even further.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts