1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
I use the Hunter game bags in the 3rd link you posted! Can use them for yrs just wash them in the washer.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Here's the game bags we use for elk! I did a short Video Clip Review on them & the Wyoming Saw. I've used these bags now for 10years with no issues at all. We generally get 3-4 bulls per 4-Pack before throwing them out as they are washable! They are small yet very tough & durable. I also show what to look for in a good Elk Bag! Here's the link!
http://www.elknut.com/Directions_1.html

ElkNut1

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
Here's the game bags we use for elk! I did a short Video Clip Review on them & the Wyoming Saw. I've used these bags now for 10years with no issues at all. We generally get 3-4 bulls per 4-Pack before throwing them out as they are washable! They are small yet very tough & durable. I also show what to look for in a good Elk Bag! Here's the link!
http://www.elknut.com/Directions_1.html

ElkNut1
A tip for you on the elk bags.... if you have a vacuum bagger unit, put the elk bags into the vacuum bags and vacuum them down. They will shrink in size down to about 20% of their original size!:eek: I do this with my alaskan gam bags and they take up ALOT less space now. They are also protected from getting dirty and getting torn/picked when in the vacuum bags!:wink:

-ZA

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,401 Posts
A tip for you on the elk bags.... if you have a vacuum bagger unit, put the elk bags into the vacuum bags and vacuum them down. They will shrink in size down to about 20% of their original size!
The nice thing about the Allen bags, is that they don't take up much room to begin with. I take the four out of the package and unfold them, fold all of them together in half, and they fit like a small lining around the bottom of my pack. Can't even tell they're there. Then I stack everything else on top of them. I usually only use mine once though. The wife would have my hide if I tried to put the used ones in the washing machine.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
I do not know what is the best, but I use the cheap cheese cloth bags from Wal-mart (I think they are Allen) for keeping the meat clean and I put them in a canvas meat bag I bought from Cabelas. I wash these each year and reuse them. They have worked great and it is durable too.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
As bowhunters one must consider what is the best choice when choosing your Game Bags for Elk? Things to consider!
Is your elk bag tough enough & built for putting in elk quarters on the bone or off the bone. It doesn't matter what you prefer, what matters is, is your meat protected 100% from flies, bees, etc.? Can you EASILY carry 4 of them? That's a very important question, elk bags do you no good sitting at camp or in your truck.
Most days in Sept. are hot & meat needs to be taken care of on the spot, your bag must be tough enough to hang from a tree if need be out of reach of critters, possibly all night, yet light & small enough to carry in ones fanny/daypack.
Once at camp meat can be transferred if you'd like. Canvas or similar bags are great in camp but way too bulky & heavy for ones daypack, this is why I do not recommend them. Most guys would get tired of carrying them eventually because of weight & they take room! Thus not having them when needed most!

So consider your needs when considering the right elk bag for the time of year you're hunting! There's many great bags for sure, but only a couple that work best for the bowhunter who hunts far from roads & trails & on foot. This is why I use the Allen Outfitter bags that I showed on the Video Clip I mentioned on our Site. They've never failed us, if you use ones in comparison, great! If looking for some that meet this criteria, well now you know! (grin)

ElkNut1

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,401 Posts
Fourth elk this set has hauled! Just wash em and go.
The two on the left look a little transparent....and lightweight.:wink:

BTW, that's an awesome base camp you have there. Reminds me of the time we came out of the hills to bring one out to my buddy's house, after a week of hunting. His sister was gone, so I slept in her waterbed that night. I slept for 16 hours straight through.

·
Registered
504 Posts
You got it!

Yes, those look good from a distance! How much? Can you share a photo of the size of one rolled up? That would be great if you don't mind? Thanks!

ElkNut1
Sure will - I am heading out shed hunting this morning and will post close ups this afternoon.

I think you will be impressed as they roll up tightly and are light compared to there strength!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Elk hunters #1 in my book!

You elk hunters are the greatest!

Here are the pictures of T. Mike Murphy's bags. He designed them for his own needs first (he is a long time outfitter - bty I don't know him) and I really like that....

We have had those time when we were so tired that we just drug them on the ground (pack frames to far away) to save the extra trip and have been in awe of there performance..

Have a great day all!

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Thanks guy!!!! Hope the shed hunting went OK? (grin)
Those bags look good alright & I've used some similar to them in the past, but never carried them with me in my pack because of their bulk.
That's all I was referring too as hunters? Most including me want ones half the size you show but yet as durable & still able to keep all bugs out, that's a must! The ones we use are the size of a fist & take up little room size wise & have little wt as well. That's what we choose when we know we're hunting 6-12 miles per day on our elk hunts!

Thanks/ElkNut1

·
Registered
504 Posts
Thanks guy!!!! Hope the shed hunting went OK? (grin)
Those bags look good alright & I've used some similar to them in the past, but never carried them with me in my pack because of their bulk.
That's all I was referring too as hunters? Most including me want ones half the size you show but yet as durable & still able to keep all bugs out, that's a must! The ones we use are the size of a fist & take up little room size wise & have little wt as well. That's what we choose when we know we're hunting 6-12 miles per day on our elk hunts!

Thanks/ElkNut1

I could not agree with you more........Mikes would be perfect if the top half, or third would be eliminated.....no volume that is used would be lost and it would then be fist sized as now it is 2 fist bag......last year we modified and reduced there size by half but I did not show those.

They are super tough and light. Which is what we all demand - just wash em and get back out there....

Found some great sheds and even a new stand site or two....:wink:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.