Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Screen Shot 2014-06-01 at 8.41.03 PM.jpg

Plot watcher pro. I just bought a reconyx HC600 though and like it better. No night time pics with a plot watcher.

From what Iv'e read I would go with a covert or a homebrew for the $.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I use the moultrie A-5. I really like it for my first camera especially since I got it on sale for 50 dollars.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Bushnell trophy cams for me. I'm assuming you're going to get a lot of different opinions on this and honestly someone could have great luck with one camera and you could have problems with the same camera, that's electronics for you. I would plan on spending around $150 for a decent camera unless you're able to find one on sale like posted above. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Bushnell trophy cams for me. I'm assuming you're going to get a lot of different opinions on this and honestly someone could have great luck with one camera and you could have problems with the same camera, that's electronics for you. I would plan on spending around $150 for a decent camera unless you're able to find one on sale like posted above. Good luck!
X2. I run 11 Trophy Cams that are anywhere from 6 to 4 years old. I love them all. I probably get 15,000 to 20,000 pics from them a year and am not disappointed in any of them. If you spend some time and have a month or so to look, you can find them for around $100 for the HD cams. I've picked them up new anywhere from 79 to 159. Just do some shopping around and you can find some great deals.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
I will say it depends on your budget, but I wont spend money on anything but Coverts or Homebrews. You can find the Covert Mp6 blacks for around $100 if you dig, most places are around $115. You can get a nice homebrew for under $200. both routes you get great customer service as well.

Here are a few from homebrews and a few coverts as well.

·
Team Mongrel Rookie
4,509 Posts
Not to get off topic here, but where do you guys get your homebrew trail cams from? Buy them? Build them?

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
I have owned both Bushnell Trophy Cams as well as a Cover Black Mp6. I like both, but would go with the Covert for the black flash.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Not to get off topic here, but where do you guys get your homebrew trail cams from? Buy them? Build them?
I buy them. there is a member on here who is also on anther forum I frequent, and he builds them. Thats the nice part about HB's is it is only one person, not a company, so when you email or call, its 1 person that calls you back every time.
his Screen name is michbowbender. There are several guys here that build them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Moultrie cameras most consistent and best quality, Ensure you get one that takes Double A Batteries will save a ton of money in the long run, Moultrie m880 m990

·
Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,268 Posts
Covert.

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
2013 Moultrie m990i is the best. $130 include pic viewer, blackout flash, 8 AAs....

·
Registered
831 Posts
I like my moultrie m80xd but like I noticed in your pics as well even in the daylight with no flash whatsoever deer (especially the more mature bucks) stare straight at the camera when it goes off.. I've tried to listen at home and I can't hear anything just still makes me wonder.. But like you I really like the moultrie I've had great luck with mine for 3 years now

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I like my moultrie m80xd but like I noticed in your pics as well even in the daylight with no flash whatsoever deer (especially the more mature bucks) stare straight at the camera when it goes off.. I've tried to listen at home and I can't hear anything just still makes me wonder.. But like you I really like the moultrie I've had great luck with mine for 3 years now
Try putting it up around 6 feet and angle it down a little. I also try to keep my cameras 10+ yards from the trail.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts