Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks,
My small game hunting is primarily Grouse and I'm wondering what the best arrow for Grouse is. Some of the small game arrows look like there'd be a mess if you hit it in the breast.

What about the Snaro that I seen advertised, they come in 3" & 6". They "Look" like they'd do the job and certainly would slow an arrow down so every try is not a lost arrow.

What do you think? The Nut, bolt and fender washer sounds pretty good to me but I have not ever used it either. I tried the rubber blunts and they went right through too.

Merry Christmas all,

Pat

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,336 Posts
Are you asking about best "arrow" or heads?

I like my Axis 300's for grouse, they're cheap, they're tough, they shoot pretty good, and I have plenty of them if one does happen to break, or I lose one.

·
Registered
186 Posts
judo

I would stick with a small head - something that fits nicely in a quiver.

A judo is tough to lose. You're going to lose a little meat once in a while on small game.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
i thought the same thing about the snaro, that you could lop the heads off of them with that big of a cut, but in order to do that one would actually have to be able to hit the head, and with these, YOU CANT! they fly horrible. i just use a judo and try not to hit breast, usually try for the head and miss, but if you can get behind them and shoot lower in the body(more towards the tail), you can ususally miss the breast.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Cheap arrows and judo points.I killed 28 of them on a moose hunt in Canada one year with 4 arrows and 6 judo points.It was a blast.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good point. I was speaking about the head more than the arrow. I've used wooden flu-flu's and they were easy to take if I lost one. Put a .38 brass on the end and then a rubber blunt. Not scientific but they worked alright. The only thing was losing them. I was hoping that there was something that pretty much eliminated the arrow loss problem. The aiming low from the side or rear makes sense.

How do the g5 Small Game heads work?

Yeah I know, Do I still believe in the tooth fairy. Guess it's just the cost of having a gas.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I would imagine that the g5 sgh would do a number on a grouse. Their just so fragile of an animal. I shot some this fall with judo points on a Easton gamegetter and it really tore them up. Although I was using my 60 lb z28 and the arrows clock in at around 600 grains so I wasn't too suprised. A 40 lb or so bow is definately neccessary for grouse unless your good enough to get headshots every time, which I'm not. I'm gonna get a 50 lb max bow for small game next fall and I thought about just usin a Easton slim tech arrow like a fmj or something with a field point. The arrow has such a small diameter that I can't imagine it would tear one up too bad. And judo points are definately loosable if your hunting in a brushy woodsy area. I lost 3 last fall, but nonetheless it was still a blast for sure! Love hunting grouse. Especially with a bow

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
i carry a judo on my quiver. 4 broadheads and one judo for small game whenever i can i take a shot. its good practice. very hard to lose a judo and the damage is not that bad as some assume. just aim for the head like a small turkey gillotine. i shoot birds in my back yard with the judo and aim for the heads. its a blast teaches you to aim small miss small. those g5 heads are devistating but the blades dont give like a judo so they break easy when you hit somethin hard

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I could have fed myself all week on grouse if I had just carried a couple judo points while elk hunting this year. I will definitely have them in my quiver next elk season.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Judo. Not only good for small game but you won't lose your arrow under the leaves or grass. I use them to practice with in the summer, walk around fields shooting at flowers, paper, or whatever. It gets you good at estimating distances. The wire will take a head right off a bird.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys, sounds like its the Judo points by a wide margin.

Much appreciated.

Pat

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I shot a grouse this year with my slick trick. :mg: yeah,,, i waisted the blades, but it was worth it, i shot it in the neck, no damage to the breasts at all. I usually have the g5 in my quiver, and i have never lost an arrow yet. Now i haven't shot at as many critters as some here, as i am waiting for the shot to break the head. Haven't yet though, lucky i guess. The g5's will rip up the critter pretty bad too. I just figured i would give some experiance with them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts