Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been buying/shooting 28" Gold Tip carbon arrows out of my Mathews FX for several years and always buy the arrows that are already fletched from the factory. These 55/75 Hunter black arrows have always had a 3" straight stretched vane. The rest of my setup is Scott dbl caliper release, mechanical Revolution 100 broadheads, and Tiger Tuff 3 prong rest, bow set at 63#. The flight is fair, but not perfect. I see a little wobble in flight.

The 3" vanes seem small compared to the 5" vanes I used to shoot on the 2413 aluminum arrows. I am now wondering if the 3" vanes are adequate or would 4" or 5" vanes or offset fletch provide better guidance and be a better choice for these smaller lighter (than my old 2413 alum) carbons???
No amount of tuning, changing rests, etc. (by me and local bow pro) has produced perfect arrow flight so in an attempt to get better arrow flight, I changed to and was pleased with the flight and performance of mechanical heads. They fly better and are deadly on deer. The mechanicals deffinitely fly better but still not perfect.

Just curious if the 3" vanes are considered to be sufficient guidance for a 28" carbon. Any opinions, similar experiences, and/or suggestions??

Thanks for any feedback.

Dave1
[email protected]

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I use 4" helical feathers on my carbons and 5" on my aluminums. You cant beat helical feathers for stabalizing an arrow, especially with a fixed blade broad head.:) Do a search on "feathers", there is alot of info on this site.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree with Hollowpoint. I use 4" feathers for just about everything now... hunting, 3-D, practice. I always have a few Flex Fletch 4" vanes on a few for practice on hay butts so my feather aren't tweaked when buried. Hunting, I keep a vaned arrow in the quiver in case caught in rain, or a feathered arrow in a quiver of vaned ones if it IS damp. Use a Bitz right helical because it is not as radical. Funny, the feathers come out of my bow at 277fps, vanes 270fps but they hit identically w/o changing sights. Feathers are supposed to slow faster. LX @ 64-65lbs, 28.5" draw, PSE 3-D's, muzzy 90grn 4-blade. Feathers just come out cleaner and stabilize so fast. Check out Tru-flight, or Gateway website, one of them has high speed pics showing feathers vs. vanes at high speed. feathers stable, vanes deformed/wavy.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Get Real!

Shoot feathers! I shoot 3 inchers straight during 3D season and 4 inchers with a twist for hunting. I am shooting 290+fps, carbons and fixed blades (Thunderhead 100s). They fly like darts!
I have shot feathers for 20 years now. Every few years I will wander back and try plastic. I always end up stripping them off and refletching with feathers.

·
Registered
287 Posts
No reason to not shoot vanes. 3" vanes are OK....I suggest 4" for hunting, however, for 3D I use 235 Easton Diamonds and for some of my FITA customers....they're shooting 175 Diamonds...Feathers are fine also, but I have yet to have a customer have bad arrow flight with vanes (or feathers)....just no worry about rain and inclement weather.....although you can use feather dri.

maco12
:cool:

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
4 inch vanes or feathers with a 2 degree offset....for hunting...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fletching/rest contact seems to be a problem for my setup. When using the carbon arrows, which are much smaller in diameter than typical alum arrows, I have had trouble acquiring perfect launch. What I believe to be the problem is contact between the flat prong tips of my Tiger Tuff 3 prong rest and the bases of the fletching (where they are glued onto the shaft). The situation/problem is the fletching bases are very close together on the small diameter carbon arrow shafts therefore not much vacant space between the fletching bases for the prongs to pass over.

Seems like going to offset fletching would only make that situation worse. I was indexing some nocks of new arrows this week and depending how you index the nock it appears the flat springy prong tips of the Tiger Tuff rest will hit either the front or back ends of the offset fletching bases because of the offset. When looking at it, doesn't seem possible to adjust index so as to eliminate that contact.

The arrows have a slight wobble in flight so improvement needs to be made. As I understand it, the new drop away rests are designed to eliminate all possible contact from the rest. If they work as described, that would be good.

Maybe I need to switch to one of the new drop away rests such as the TT Shakey Hunter and try to eliminate all contact.???????

Thanks, Dave1
[email protected]

·
Registered
56 Posts
Keep your straight fletching and use 4" vanes or feathers
and then off set them put your frist fletching on as normal
then move your next fletching ahead 5/8" the same for the last
fletching. Now you have 5 1/2" of fletching to stabilize your
arrow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts