Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is 12 and wants to try a hinge release for shooting and hunting. I have no experience ever shooting a hinge, all I know is you have to rotate/ manipulate the release to fire.
Been looking at “the hinge” from UV , tru ball hbc, and the B3 infinity pro.
The shops around us don’t really carry any hinge releases to try either.
I have researched the uv hinge and that one seems the easiest to draw and let down without punching your lip or send a arrow flying.
What is everyone’s take on a good hinge release? Likes and dislikes.

·
Back Yard Champion
31,923 Posts
Well, you need one that fits his hand. Not too many make a real small hinge. And then I've seen kids use hinges a bit big for them and do well.
And I'd suggest more reading. It isn't just rotating/manipulating a hinge to fire. Contact Padgett here on AT or Search for his hinge write-ups. I have one.

Personal preference rules. I like micro adjust sear type hinges. The Stan MoreX and TRU Ball are two that I know of.

The MoreX has a Trainer lock pin. This lets the hinge fire, but doesn't release the string. So you get the hinge set kind of close without sending arrows all over the place.

Those with regular moons can be a pain to set, but once set you're good to go.

The Scott Advantage has a rubber band the sets the hook (very nice hinge). The Tru-Fire Sear has a magnet the sets the hook. Tru-Fire has a Mini Sear - 20% smaller than the Sear. The Sear has a lot of "bells and whistles" for the money. 3 position pulling post. 4 position moon - smooth, cold click, mild click and hot click. It also comes with a 4th finger attachment. There is also a hole to attach a wrist strap. Unlike moons the moon can be gauged back to the end of the neck.

This is set hot. If the up sear was flush with the neck then it'd be set cold. There is a arrow on the side to show which way is hot.

Rock-climbing equipment Magenta Jewellery Font Fashion accessory

Reactions: ArchAnon

·
Back Yard Champion
31,923 Posts
HINGE SETUP ROUTINE by Padgett

Here it is the famous “Hinge Setup Routine”, it will allow you to skip months of suffering and frustration and take your hinge shooting career right into achieving new personal levels of accomplishments. The main thing right now that you must accept is that it is not a tweak your current speed setting routine, the hinge setup routine is a complete restart to hour hinge shooting so don't cheat yourself and do it completely. You are going to Love it.

Smooth moon steps:
1. Turn the moon so slow that the hinge can't physically fire, now put the hinge in your fingers and grip it with the grip that you wish you were using. You know the perfect grip on the hinge that just feels awesome. Now since the hinge can't fire draw the bow 5 or so times using all fingers equally including the thumb peg and feel how awesome it is to draw a bow using all fingers equally. This is so important so don't under estimate or rush this step because we are going to set up the hinge so that you can draw the bow with this awesome feeling and safely fire the hinge without changing your fingers during the entire process.
2. Now draw back with all fingers and get to anchor and then just release the thumb pressure smoothly and do not try to fire the hinge just release the thumb pressure and that is it. Now let down and speed up the moon a little and repeat the process over and over for about 5 minutes and sooner or later when you come to anchor and release the thumb peg it will fire. Now we know where we are and we are right on the edge which is way too fast so now slow down the moon just a little and you should be able to come to anchor using all fingers during the draw cycle and then let go of the pressure on the thumb peg and the hinge hasn't fired but it is close.
3. Hinge setup is complete
4. Over the next week or so tweak the speed very slightly until you find the perfect speed setting that allows you to draw with all fingers and fire the hinge easily using your favorite firing engine. You don't want it to fast where you are scared of early releases and you don't want it so slow you can't rotate it enough to fire it, you want it just right.

Hinge setup using a clicker:
1. Turn the moon so slow that the hinge can't physically fire, now put the hinge in your fingers and grip it with the grip that you wish you were using. You know the perfect grip on the hinge that just feels awesome. Now since the hinge can't fire draw the bow 5 or so times using all fingers equally including the thumb peg and feel how awesome it is to draw a bow using all fingers equally. This is so important so don't underestimate or rush this step because we are going to set up the hinge so that you can draw the bow with this awesome feeling and safely fire the hinge without changing your fingers during the entire process.
2. Now draw back with all fingers and get to anchor and then just release the thumb pressure smoothly and do not try to fire the hinge just release the thumb pressure and listen for the click do not rotate or squeeze the fingers to help getting to the click, down draw and speed up the moon and repeat the process over and over and about 5 minutes you will draw back and release the thumb pressure and hear the click.
3. I personally like to release about 75% of the thumb pressure and hear the click when starting out with a new hinge and then over a few weeks I will tweak it a little slower to the point where I can release it 100% and then hear the click.

Squeeze and pull engine
This is my favorite and my dominant competition firing engine, it is proving to me to tackle many of the issues that come up in shooting such as pulling the pin off the x, freezing up, and just not being able to fire at all in a pressure moment when money is on the line… During my shooting sessions I pick many different firing engines and I shoot with them on a regular basis and I have found that this one for me produces some awesome shooting day in and day out with or without pressure.
SQUEEZE AND PULL FIRING ENGINE
1. Come to anchor and settle in checking bubble and peep alignment and then release the thumb pressure on the peg slowly.
2. Now at the same time I start aiming I start squeezing my ring and middle finger and smoothly pull into the wall.
3. Arrow gone.
It really is that simple, so many people make firing a hinge so freaking complicated that it makes me want to punch them in the face and scream at them you are an idiot. Sure one of my firing engines is back tension and sure it works just fine but it is way more complicated and it produces problems with aiming that this little engine doesn't.

It is very important that you pay close attention to the fact that I said to start aiming and squeezing and pulling at the same time, I have a discussion on aiming that explains this that you need to read if you haven't explaining this and it is so important so don't take that lightly.

SAM WOLTIUS FIRING ENGINE
Sam is becoming one of the top pro indoor shooters and is currently the best known 50 ASA shooter ever, he is a friend of mine that I travel to a few ASA shoots with and shoot some league nights. I had been suffering trying to become a hinge shooter and we were at an ASA shoot 2 years ago in the motel room when he talked about hinge shooting and changed my life forever. Soon after I wrote the hinge setup routine and became a hinge shooter myself. Now I teach hinge shooting every day here on archery talk and enjoy every minute of it. Just a few weeks ago I shot an indoor league with him and he had just came back from the indoor nationals in Louisville, KY and he shot an easy 60x round next to me. After the league was done and some of the guys were leaving he pulled me aside and said I want to show you how I am shoot my Scott Backspin in the click setting. Holy crap was it cool to have a pro take the time to show me his method and it is something that to my knowledge nobody else is doing or teaching. It is a variation of the GRIV technique but it is different enough to deserve attention and I have given it a month and it is now ready for me to share with you. Sam shoots without a thumb peg so I will show you his and my method with the thumb peg.
ENJOY

My method with the thumb peg:
1. Put the hinge in your hand with your fingers j-hooked just like normal and hook up to the d-loop, now make a fist like you are going to punch somebody in the face and draw your bow and come to anchor. Don't white knuckle the hinge, just make a fist.
2. Now without releasing the thumb peg pressure tighten your fist by squeezing your fingers and come to click.
3. Now at the same time you start floating on the spot begin releasing the thumb peg pressure and smoothly pull into the wall and stretch out your fist
4. Arrow gone.

Sam's method without the thumb peg:
1. Grip the hinge and j-hook your fingers around the hinge and then make a fist, don't white knuckle the hinge but make a fist.
2. Now draw back to anchor and settle in and tighten the fist, to get to the click.
3. Now at the same time you start floating on the spot start pulling into the wall and stretch out the fist.
4. Arrow gone.
I really do prefer Sam’s method but for me drawing a bow without a thumb peg hurts my index finger and I just don't feel as strong at anchor. With either Sam's or my method you will feel like THOR THE GOD OF THUNDER strong at anchor compared to normal and this is probably going to be the thing that stands out to you more than anything else. Secondly it is so cool to squeeze your fist and come to click with the fist position compared to shooting with a stretched out hand like usual. And third once you realize how much stretch is built into this firing method compared to normal methods you will see why Sam is shooting is very high pressure shoots lately and not freezing being unable to fire.
Good luck.

This is the scissors firing engine and I love it for beginning hinge shooters because it allows you to fire your bow very easily and it can produce some really good shooting. I have another engine that I shoot competitively but during a shoot if I freeze up under pressure of a big shoot or something I will let down and decide to use the scissors engine on the next attempt and it always produces an awesome shot to get me going again and within a few shots I have relaxed and can go back to my dominant firing engine.
SCISSORS FIRING ENGINE
1. Come to anchor and settle in
2. At the same time you start aiming simply squeeze your ring and middle finger and relax your index finger in a scissor action as you gently or smoothly pull into the wall.
3. Arrow gone.
Scissors is so simply to use and I go to it all the time to settle me down and enjoy a shooting session or big competition, when I began using scissors I didn't pull into the wall and I found myself creeping forward during the shot and it produced shots that dropped out the bottom of the x. After a while I added pulling into the wall gently and now scissors is a very solid feeling firing engine that I can count on.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, you need one that fits his hand. Not too many make a real small hinge. And then I've seen kids use hinges a bit big for them and do well.
And I'd suggest more reading. It isn't just rotating/manipulating a hinge to fire. Contact Padgett here on AT or Search for his hinge write-ups. I have one.

Personal preference rules. I like micro adjust sear type hinges. The Stan MoreX and TRU Ball are two that I know of.

The MoreX has a Trainer lock pin. This lets the hinge fire, but doesn't release the string. So you get the hinge set kind of close without sending arrows all over the place.

Those with regular moons can be a pain to set, but once set you're good to go.

The Scott Advantage has a rubber band the sets the hook (very nice hinge). The Tru-Fire Sear has a magnet the sets the hook. Tru-Fire has a Mini Sear - 20% smaller than the Sear. The Sear has a lot of "bells and whistles" for the money. 3 position pulling post. 4 position moon - smooth, cold click, mild click and hot click. It also comes with a 4th finger attachment. There is also a hole to attach a wrist strap. Unlike moons the moon can be gauged back to the end of the neck.

This is set hot. If the up sear was flush with the neck then it'd be set cold. There is a arrow on the side to show which way is hot.

View attachment 7508496
I see the HBC comes in small, medium, and large so tha is good.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HINGE SETUP ROUTINE by Padgett

Here it is the famous “Hinge Setup Routine”, it will allow you to skip months of suffering and frustration and take your hinge shooting career right into achieving new personal levels of accomplishments. The main thing right now that you must accept is that it is not a tweak your current speed setting routine, the hinge setup routine is a complete restart to hour hinge shooting so don't cheat yourself and do it completely. You are going to Love it.

Smooth moon steps:
1. Turn the moon so slow that the hinge can't physically fire, now put the hinge in your fingers and grip it with the grip that you wish you were using. You know the perfect grip on the hinge that just feels awesome. Now since the hinge can't fire draw the bow 5 or so times using all fingers equally including the thumb peg and feel how awesome it is to draw a bow using all fingers equally. This is so important so don't under estimate or rush this step because we are going to set up the hinge so that you can draw the bow with this awesome feeling and safely fire the hinge without changing your fingers during the entire process.
2. Now draw back with all fingers and get to anchor and then just release the thumb pressure smoothly and do not try to fire the hinge just release the thumb pressure and that is it. Now let down and speed up the moon a little and repeat the process over and over for about 5 minutes and sooner or later when you come to anchor and release the thumb peg it will fire. Now we know where we are and we are right on the edge which is way too fast so now slow down the moon just a little and you should be able to come to anchor using all fingers during the draw cycle and then let go of the pressure on the thumb peg and the hinge hasn't fired but it is close.
3. Hinge setup is complete
4. Over the next week or so tweak the speed very slightly until you find the perfect speed setting that allows you to draw with all fingers and fire the hinge easily using your favorite firing engine. You don't want it to fast where you are scared of early releases and you don't want it so slow you can't rotate it enough to fire it, you want it just right.

Hinge setup using a clicker:
1. Turn the moon so slow that the hinge can't physically fire, now put the hinge in your fingers and grip it with the grip that you wish you were using. You know the perfect grip on the hinge that just feels awesome. Now since the hinge can't fire draw the bow 5 or so times using all fingers equally including the thumb peg and feel how awesome it is to draw a bow using all fingers equally. This is so important so don't underestimate or rush this step because we are going to set up the hinge so that you can draw the bow with this awesome feeling and safely fire the hinge without changing your fingers during the entire process.
2. Now draw back with all fingers and get to anchor and then just release the thumb pressure smoothly and do not try to fire the hinge just release the thumb pressure and listen for the click do not rotate or squeeze the fingers to help getting to the click, down draw and speed up the moon and repeat the process over and over and about 5 minutes you will draw back and release the thumb pressure and hear the click.
3. I personally like to release about 75% of the thumb pressure and hear the click when starting out with a new hinge and then over a few weeks I will tweak it a little slower to the point where I can release it 100% and then hear the click.

Squeeze and pull engine
This is my favorite and my dominant competition firing engine, it is proving to me to tackle many of the issues that come up in shooting such as pulling the pin off the x, freezing up, and just not being able to fire at all in a pressure moment when money is on the line… During my shooting sessions I pick many different firing engines and I shoot with them on a regular basis and I have found that this one for me produces some awesome shooting day in and day out with or without pressure.
SQUEEZE AND PULL FIRING ENGINE
1. Come to anchor and settle in checking bubble and peep alignment and then release the thumb pressure on the peg slowly.
2. Now at the same time I start aiming I start squeezing my ring and middle finger and smoothly pull into the wall.
3. Arrow gone.
It really is that simple, so many people make firing a hinge so freaking complicated that it makes me want to punch them in the face and scream at them you are an idiot. Sure one of my firing engines is back tension and sure it works just fine but it is way more complicated and it produces problems with aiming that this little engine doesn't.

It is very important that you pay close attention to the fact that I said to start aiming and squeezing and pulling at the same time, I have a discussion on aiming that explains this that you need to read if you haven't explaining this and it is so important so don't take that lightly.

SAM WOLTIUS FIRING ENGINE
Sam is becoming one of the top pro indoor shooters and is currently the best known 50 ASA shooter ever, he is a friend of mine that I travel to a few ASA shoots with and shoot some league nights. I had been suffering trying to become a hinge shooter and we were at an ASA shoot 2 years ago in the motel room when he talked about hinge shooting and changed my life forever. Soon after I wrote the hinge setup routine and became a hinge shooter myself. Now I teach hinge shooting every day here on archery talk and enjoy every minute of it. Just a few weeks ago I shot an indoor league with him and he had just came back from the indoor nationals in Louisville, KY and he shot an easy 60x round next to me. After the league was done and some of the guys were leaving he pulled me aside and said I want to show you how I am shoot my Scott Backspin in the click setting. Holy crap was it cool to have a pro take the time to show me his method and it is something that to my knowledge nobody else is doing or teaching. It is a variation of the GRIV technique but it is different enough to deserve attention and I have given it a month and it is now ready for me to share with you. Sam shoots without a thumb peg so I will show you his and my method with the thumb peg.
ENJOY

My method with the thumb peg:
1. Put the hinge in your hand with your fingers j-hooked just like normal and hook up to the d-loop, now make a fist like you are going to punch somebody in the face and draw your bow and come to anchor. Don't white knuckle the hinge, just make a fist.
2. Now without releasing the thumb peg pressure tighten your fist by squeezing your fingers and come to click.
3. Now at the same time you start floating on the spot begin releasing the thumb peg pressure and smoothly pull into the wall and stretch out your fist
4. Arrow gone.

Sam's method without the thumb peg:
1. Grip the hinge and j-hook your fingers around the hinge and then make a fist, don't white knuckle the hinge but make a fist.
2. Now draw back to anchor and settle in and tighten the fist, to get to the click.
3. Now at the same time you start floating on the spot start pulling into the wall and stretch out the fist.
4. Arrow gone.
I really do prefer Sam’s method but for me drawing a bow without a thumb peg hurts my index finger and I just don't feel as strong at anchor. With either Sam's or my method you will feel like THOR THE GOD OF THUNDER strong at anchor compared to normal and this is probably going to be the thing that stands out to you more than anything else. Secondly it is so cool to squeeze your fist and come to click with the fist position compared to shooting with a stretched out hand like usual. And third once you realize how much stretch is built into this firing method compared to normal methods you will see why Sam is shooting is very high pressure shoots lately and not freezing being unable to fire.
Good luck.

This is the scissors firing engine and I love it for beginning hinge shooters because it allows you to fire your bow very easily and it can produce some really good shooting. I have another engine that I shoot competitively but during a shoot if I freeze up under pressure of a big shoot or something I will let down and decide to use the scissors engine on the next attempt and it always produces an awesome shot to get me going again and within a few shots I have relaxed and can go back to my dominant firing engine.
SCISSORS FIRING ENGINE
1. Come to anchor and settle in
2. At the same time you start aiming simply squeeze your ring and middle finger and relax your index finger in a scissor action as you gently or smoothly pull into the wall.
3. Arrow gone.
Scissors is so simply to use and I go to it all the time to settle me down and enjoy a shooting session or big competition, when I began using scissors I didn't pull into the wall and I found myself creeping forward during the shot and it produced shots that dropped out the bottom of the x. After a while I added pulling into the wall gently and now scissors is a very solid feeling firing engine that I can count on.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Of the three you specified, the UV Hinge In Medium is probably going to fit him the best, unless you can find a HBC in Small (the medium is on the larger side). The B3 Infinity Pro is shaped very generically, though you can turn that third finger in and make it feel smaller. I can do a longer write up on any one of them if you need more info or would like to compare the sizes.

I would recommend investing in a shot trainer like the Saunders Firing Line so he can practice drawing with the hinge and becoming accustomed to the hand position necessary to draw with a hinge safely.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a B3 Ranger that my 10 yr old shoots occasionally. Granted he’s pretty big for his age (5’ 6”). It is the one with the wrist strap. I think that gives him a little more confidence on pulling it back.

We both like shooting a hinge, but to be honest, the B3 Ranger can be a little cumbersome to get the hot/cold setting just right as it doesn’t have a good micro adjustment on it. Not sure if the one your looking at has the same adjustment as mine.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Of the three you specified, the UV Hinge In Medium is probably going to fit him the best, unless you can find a HBC in Small (the medium is on the larger side). The B3 Infinity Pro is shaped very generically, though you can turn that third finger in and make it feel smaller. I can do a longer write up on any one of them if you need more info or would like to compare the sizes.

I would recommend investing in a shot trainer like the Saunders Firing Line so he can practice drawing with the hinge and becoming accustomed to the hand position necessary to draw with a hinge safely.

I have been doing a ton of research on the HBC and UV. Sounds like the Uv might be a little safer to draw, but some don’t like the long neck on the release.
Some have said the hbc is more precise in the micro adjustments category.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have been doing a ton of research on the HBC and UV. Sounds like the Uv might be a little safer to draw, but some don’t like the long neck on the release.
I was looking at the UV hinge for myself. Is the neck long enough that folks are having to adjust draw length? I’m shooting a Mathew’s and that would result in new mods.

·
Shootin and Cussin
25,187 Posts
I'd recommend against getting him a hinge. Get a good thumb button and teach him how to use back tension to shoot it.

If you are dead set on a hinge, look for one with a safety like a Carter Honey.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That’s a big step….but, in the right direction. I think it’s very admirable that your son cares enough about his game to want to try a hinge release. I didn’t read all the posts , but if you want to PM me I’ve got a small TruBall HT (I believe )that may work. You’re more than welcome to give it a try and I can mail it to you if you’d like. Thanks

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That’s a big step….but, in the right direction. I think it’s very admirable that your son cares enough about his game to want to try a hinge release. I didn’t read all the posts , but if you want to PM me I’ve got a small TruBall HT (I believe )that may work. You’re more than welcome to give it a try and I can mail it to you if you’d like. Thanks
He has a hard time trying to do back tension on his thumb release. I told him the best accuracy comes from a surprise shot.
I said maybe try a hinge if you can’t get the hang of back tension with a thumb release. Now, he really wants to try one out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
He has a hard time trying to do back tension on his thumb release. I told him the best accuracy comes from a surprise shot.
I said maybe try a hinge if you can’t get the hang of back tension with a thumb release. Now, he really wants to try one out.
That’s great coaching dad ! Good job !
I was wrong about that release it is a TruBall Inside Out. Has more adjustable features than any hinge I’ve seen. You’re welcome to try it out.
Household hardware Tool Jewellery Metal Wood

Bicycle part Gadget Auto part Metal Fashion accessory

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
The micro adjust on the HBC is right under the hook, while the UV Hinge requires you to insert an Allen key (.05, iirc) through the back of the release. So the HBC is more easily accessible and also has an indicator that shows how hot or cold you have it set. A half-turn is a half-turn, so I wouldn't say one is more precise than the other.

The UV Hinge was the first hinge I was comfortable enough to draw with my bow due to the position of the hook. I use the hunting bracket which has a knurled thumb pad in lieu of a thumb peg, and it makes drawing with it more comfortable and secure for me (though I can draw it with no peg fairly easily as well).

The neck length hasn't been an issue for me, and I can use it with other releases of different types without having to adjust my draw length. The point of impact is harder to match up with a thumb release, though if you turn your hand more to the vertical with the Hinge, you can get the hooks in a similar position.

I use the HBC Flex and UV Hinge regularly, and ultimately I doubt he'd be disappointed with either.

·
Registered
323 Posts
my son is also 12. I moved him from a wrist rocket to a hinge 2 or 3 years ago. he is currently shooting the b3 mini bt. it is starting to be too small for him. I have a stan ( whichever model is the medium 3 finger) that fits him nicely. so I will be in the market for him a medium sized something here shortly. I let him shoot a b3 coop, and a ghost at the shop. they were just too big.

I started him on a shot trainer for a little bit. just so he would get used to the way the release worked. then I made him practice with a low poundage bow to get the feel for the draw. he does great with it.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
290 Posts
I recently bought my first hinge. I ended up finding a leftover Stan Black Pearl DS. I really like the micro adjustment. I considered a lot of different releases before deciding I needed a Stan. It came down to it being probably the easiest to adjust precisely. When I searched, there was some smaller shops online that had some in stock.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts