Archery Talk Forum banner

best home-made target

2189 12
what would be the best Home-Made target That is cheap and reliable? nothing over $50!!!! Hoping to make one just need some ideas!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
294 Posts
Look back in DIY

There are a lot of good targets on here. I think the cardboard or carpet squeezed in a wooden frame would be cheapest.

· Registered
665 Posts
Targets

I posted all of the Etha foam targets on here but if you were looking for the cheapest target of them all, I think it would have to be the burlap sack filled with shrink wrap or plastic bags. I have made many many different types of targets for our club and by far the most cost efficient and MOST duable is a pile of plastic shrink wrap stuffed in a burlap sack. The Plastic seed bags wear out far faster then the burlap sacks but are still good.
Place to get them free:
Burlap sack---Your nearest coffee store that grinds their own beans.
Shrink wrap--- Costco is the best for large amounts but any store that deals with large amounts of produce because it all comes in on pallets with shrink wrap around it.
I have found shrink wrap better then plastic bags because it is a little stickier and the arrows stop faster.
Hope this helps.
Nobby

· Registered
2,667 Posts
Before I built the layered carpet target I posted about (for less than $30), I used burlap sacks stuffed full of mattress/sofa/furniture stuffing. It balls up in front of the point and really stops the arrows. They pull easily, and if you do start getting shoot-throughs, just lay it on the ground and stomp/kick it several times (or whack it with a 2X4 or baseball bat). Stand it back up and start shooting again.

· Registered
42 Posts
I just made a target for free. Find a cardboard box and some old ripped or small clothes t shirts jeans whatever and pack them in the box fairly tight then tape it up with duct tape put some sort of dots on the target with marker, paint, or tape and shoot my arrows only go in about 4 inches or so and are pull really easily when box gets to shot up just find a new box.

· Hoyt Nation Life Member
15,100 Posts
I'll be posting some pics of mine that's still under construction. I know this doesn't help you at all at this moment in time, but start collecting carpet and get some gloves, razor knife with a thousand spare blades and some knee pads (MUST). I'll show you how to make a layered carpet target...PROPER !!!
Start taking Doans pills now for the lower back pain.

· Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
target

no more?

· Registered
121 Posts
I use straw bales at this point. I have one that I have cinched tighter using a ratchet strap. Then have 1 under it to lift it up and 4 behind for backstop. With the target bale I have a piece of scrap cardboard that is long enough to be stuck in the strings on top and bottom folded over the front to stick dots to. Cost... $1 per bale!! $6 total.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.