Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on a separate thread, but in the interest of "archers helping archers" I thought I'd give it it's own thread.

I use low temp hot melt for inserts, points, nock inserts. Everything.

Pay $3 - $5 a stick for it from LAS, or buy a package of 30 sticks in the Wal-Mart craft department for $2.79. It's used for hot melt glue guns.

Same sticky strength as what LAS sells according to my (un) scientific testing.

Position or rotate installed broadheads by holding the end of the shaft under hot tap water.

Remove points, inserts, or nock inserts by holding under hot tap water or sticking the end of the shaft into a pot of boiling water for 5-10 seconds.

Many of us around here use it exclusively and never lose a point indoors or outdoors, and we shoot a LOT of target and field archery. Some of those old-timey compressed excelsior bales are a real bugger to get arrows out of.

Works fantastic.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Be interesting to do some destructive testing by prepping an arrow shaft and placing inserts in both ends. Screw in an eye into each end then stretching like we do with strings with a scale attached and see which one last the longest.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I used to use low temp but, if things got to hot, the glue would turn brownish. Even though I never had a problem, I thought, maybe, the glues integrity was being compromised so I switched to "ALL TEMPERATURE".

·
World & National Champion
33,999 Posts
I'm sure the glues are the same or very similar. I've often though about trying to walmart type stuff but never have.

·
The Foam Collector
2,335 Posts
I have been using the cheepo hot gule sticks from WalMart for a couple years as a suggestion from this forum and have never had one to pull out. I use to use the amber colored Easton hot melt but I found that it was to hard and brittle to properly hold the insert. I think it's improtant to not use a glue gun but to use it with a torch like you would any other insert glue and to not burn the glue but to just melt it.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Good point. I use the bulk cheapy stuff on my indoor arrow points but always wondered what it'd perform like in a hotter climate. No chance of that here though!!

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
The thing, at least in my opinion, that make ALL TEMP a better choice is that you can over heat the insert and observe the tackiness of the glue as the temperature of the insert comes down. For those who do arrows all the time, it don't matter because they have "the feel" but, for someone that don't do many, like me, it makes things a bit easier.

G

·
I have been using the cheepo hot gule sticks from WalMart for a couple years as a suggestion from this forum and have never had one to pull out. I use to use the amber colored Easton hot melt but I found that it was to hard and brittle to properly hold the insert. I think it's improtant to not use a glue gun but to use it with a torch like you would any other insert glue and to not burn the glue but to just melt it.
Was the Easton amber glue the stuff that was hard (non-flexable) when room temperature? Easton sells a hot melt now that is rubber like at room temp. now that I am very impressed with. It sticks better than anything I ever used, is not brittle in any way and easy to index heads or remove. It's pretty good stuff IMO.

·
The Foam Collector
2,335 Posts
Was the Easton amber glue the stuff that was hard (non-flexable) when room temperature? Easton sells a hot melt now that is rubber like at room temp. now that I am very impressed with. It sticks better than anything I ever used, is not brittle in any way and easy to index heads or remove. It's pretty good stuff IMO.
What I had is a round stick of amber glue in a cardboard tube that was harder than the chepo stuff... not sure what it's called.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
I use the Easton Hot Melt on ACC and aluminum shaft inserts like the package recommends and the Bohning blue low temp hot melt on straight carbon shafts, also as recommended. They both work perfectly for their respective applications.

NC

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bohning blue glue. Never lost a tip or insert
I guess I'm just a cheap skate.

Bohning blue is good glue but $3.49 a stick.

Wal-Mart craft glue is .09 a stick.

I'm really cheap, that's why I shoot a bow (with all attachments) that's over $1500 :)

G

·
What I had is a round stick of amber glue in a cardboard tube that was harder than the chepo stuff... not sure what it's called.
I used that glue in the tube years ago and agree that it is brittle. Try some of the current stuff that is flexible, I think you will find that it works much better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts